Quantcast

With gas being over $3 a gallon, Sponsorhouse needs to get Shell on the team!

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I signed up with Sponsorhouse to hook into Morewood, and in point of fact it has actually been a good investment.

However, since I am a fat kid with minimal skills, I get at best product percentage sponsorships.

What Sponsorhouse really needs to do is start courting big oil. I would take a percentage off from Shell, BP, Exxon, hell, 7/11 (which would it apply to beer?) to help with this season.

Come on big oil, help us out!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
yea seriously. I'm in the US, but I know that prices of gas across the pond has been $4+ for years now. But then again you guys have better public transportation infrastructure. I may not like gas at ~$3/gal, but I deal. Maybe it will get more people on bikes and commuting, which is something I've been considering. Only problem is how to get dress pants + dress shirt to work in a messenger bag and NOT have to iron them once I'm here.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
hey Chimponarope not trying to start an agrument but please realize that in american most verything is farther away than in europe. i mean think about it most states in the US are as big if not bigger than the countries in europe. i regurally drive 180 miles to get home on some weekend from college. not only have my work is over 20 miles from where i live at. also we don't hav a good public transportation system like in most european countries. if the US had a good public transport i know i would use it.

like i said not trying to start an argument just restating some facts

also in the end you are right the US shouldn't compain about the price of gas when its 3 bucks a gallon. its more so the amount it has gone up in the past 3-4 years that has most people tied up in a knot about its. it has tripled in price in less then 5 years in this side on the ocean. it the increase was more gradual like over the past 10-15 year i but most people would not have complained. the increase in gas prices has really put a hurter on my wallet i will say. mainly because i have not planned for the 1 dollar hike we had in the past 3 months.

just trying the inform the world a little more on the happening on this side of the ocean

laters

dan

Chimponarope

Chimp
Feb 11, 2006
UK
Didn't mean to come across as harsh, I'm just jealous and hate the way our government rips us off here compared to over there. :)

Our fuel has increased by the same amount recently. Its just stupid.

Whatever you do, don't move here, everything is twice the price as it is there! (My Demo cost me around $6k to build!)

Hope you guys all make it through the fuel price hikes and the other inevitable price rises that go with it (air travel, electricity, gas etc).

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Sir_Crackien said:
hey Chimponarope not trying to start an agrument but please realize that in american most verything is farther away than in europe. i mean think about it most states in the US are as big if not bigger than the countries in europe. i regurally drive 180 miles to get home on some weekend from college. not only have my work is over 20 miles from where i live at. also we don't hav a good public transportation system like in most european countries. if the US had a good public transport i know i would use it.

like i said not trying to start an argument just restating some facts

also in the end you are right the US shouldn't compain about the price of gas when its 3 bucks a gallon. its more so the amount it has gone up in the past 3-4 years that has most people tied up in a knot about its. it has tripled in price in less then 5 years in this side on the ocean. it the increase was more gradual like over the past 10-15 year i but most people would not have complained. the increase in gas prices has really put a hurter on my wallet i will say. mainly because i have not planned for the 1 dollar hike we had in the past 3 months.

just trying the inform the world a little more on the happening on this side of the ocean

laters

dan
You could take greyhound or amtrak, just like they take the train everywhere.

Gas is over $4 a gallon in Canada, Canada is larger and has 1/10th the people of the USA, hence everything is even FURTHER apart. What's your point again?

Also, chances are they are better informed of what is going on here, than the typical American is of what is going on there.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
Transcend said:
Also, chances are they are better informed of what is going on here, than the typical American is of what is going on there.
good point. news coverage here in the US is so horribly biased and most of the time complete BS. take for instance the latest immigration thing going on. watched it on the news, then talked to a few friends who r federal agents (homeland security) down in san diego...two completely different stories.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Transcend said:
not 'just like'. A good friend of mine spends her summers in Greece. For example, a Greyhound trip from oh say Rochester, NY to Philadelphia, PA (about 4.5 hours by car @ 70mph) here in the states runs about $70. To go an equivalent distance in Greece runs under $20. BIG difference.

Moral of the story: Euro public transpo is used more, and therefore rates are cheaper (and also has more convenient schedules)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
jonKranked said:
Transcend said:
not 'just like'. A good friend of mine spends her summers in Greece. For example, a Greyhound trip from oh say Rochester, NY to Philadelphia, PA (about 4.5 hours by car @ 70mph) here in the states runs about $70. To go an equivalent distance in Greece runs under $20. BIG difference.

Moral of the story: Euro public transpo is used more, and therefore rates are cheaper (and also has more convenient schedules)
Not sure about prices in Greece, but the prices in the UK are just as high as here and the UK is widely regarded as having the best public transportation on the planet. I used it extensively last summer. The tube alone is 2 pounds per trip, in 2 zones. Trains are 10-18pounds to the airport from downtown London.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
as long as the price of crude oil keeps going up ($77 a barel) gas will be expensiv no matter where you live.

other than in large cities public trans. in the US sucks

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
LukeD said:
good point. news coverage here in the US is so horribly biased and most of the time complete BS. take for instance the latest immigration thing going on. watched it on the news, then talked to a few friends who r federal agents (homeland security) down in san diego...two completely different stories.
that's what i'm talking about. we are filled with just as much if not more propaganda than any other society on earth.
the media can do (and is doing) more to destroy this country from the inside than any outside terrorist organization.

by the way, i haven't bought and exxon product ever since their prince william sound disaster.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
It's a great time to be involved in alternative transportation technology, I can tell you that much.

I work for 3 "green" companies, a plasma ball diesel fuel treatment project, www.greasecar.com, and building electric-human-hybrid bikes.

These "high" gas prices are SOO much better for me. My phone rings non-stop, investors are lining up out the door, and we are making 2x the money we were last year.

We get fairly major news media coverage at least once a week for the 2 public projects, and federal grant money rolls in for the other one. Fuel prices are still too low to make me a millionaire like all the petroleum goons, but who knows what will happen.

Chimponarope

Chimp
Feb 11, 2006
UK
Transcend said:
Not sure about prices in Greece, but the prices in the UK are just as high as here and the UK is widely regarded as having the best public transportation on the planet. I used it extensively last summer. The tube alone is 2 pounds per trip, in 2 zones. Trains are 10-18pounds to the airport from downtown London.
That's definitely true, it's over £100 for a train ticket to London, its actually cheaper to fly if you get a good deal.

To be honest our public transport is horrible and very over priced, I avoid using it as much as possible even at £1 a litre for petrol. The public transport in London is much better than elsewhere, outside of London its a nightmare. A former house mate of mine spent 9 hours on a train to travel the same distance it took me to 2.5 hours to drive!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Here is a somewhat alarmist but informative article. If half of it's true it's pretty scary stuff. Basically "Peak Oil" came around 2000 or so and we are now on the downslope.

http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/

"In practical and considerably oversimplified terms, this means that if 2000 was the year of global Peak Oil, worldwide oil production in the year 2020 will be the same as it was in 1980. However, the world’s population in 2020 will be both much larger (approximately twice) and much more industrialized (oil-dependent) than it was in 1980. Consequently, worldwide demand for oil will outpace worldwide production of oil by a significant margin. As a result, the price will skyrocket, oil-dependant economies will crumble, and resource wars will explode."

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
OGRipper said:
Here is a somewhat alarmist but informative article. If half of it's true it's pretty scary stuff. Basically "Peak Oil" came around 2000 or so and we are now on the downslope.
They said peak oil occured in the 1970s but we are doing 60% more production today with the technology available.

Nobody knows when peak oil will occur and depends on how much you want to pay per barrel for your oil. Canada has billions of barrels of oil in their sand and didn't do much with it until the price of oil got high enough.

At current prices:

Canada’s oil sands deposits contain as much as 175 billion barrels of economically viable oil, or enough oil to meet the country’s current energy needs for 500 years. With current technology, Canada’s oil sands are second only to Saudi Arabia in global oil reserves. As technology improves, so too does the potential to produce more oil from the oil sands.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
syadasti said:
They said peak oil occured in the 1970s but we are doing 60% more production today with the technology available.

Nobody knows when peak oil will occur and depends on how much you want to pay per barrel for your oil. Canada has billions of barrels of oil in their sand and didn't do much with it until the price of oil got high enough.

At current prices:
I think that was peak oil for US production, not worldwide. And "peak oil" means depletion of 50% of the supply, not sure what you mean by it being tied to prices we are willing to pay. Regardless, it's not going to last forever.

And read further about the Canadian oil sands (and US oil shale): If the article is correct it takes a huge amount of energy to extract that oil, so much that's is not worth doing.

I don't know how much of that stuff is accurate but it is sobering to realize how much we depend on a resource that will eventually run dry.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
OGRipper said:
not sure what you mean by it being tied to prices we are willing to pay.
As prices get higher more oil deposits areas/technologies become viable in the marketplace like the oil sands in Canada (which are currently used, its not too expensive anymore).

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
one thing i will say is that it is cheaper for me to take my car than amtrak or the bus. so until it is cheaper for my the take to bus i will not take it. also i will have to be a fair amount cheaper because it will also take me longer to get there

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The energy isn't the big deal with the tar sands (although it is significantly higher than raw crude refinement and drilling/exploration). The main problem is the massive amount of pollution it creates refining it. Last thing I read said it was anywhere from 4-10x the pollution from refining crude.

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
OGRipper said:
IAnd read further about the Canadian oil sands (and US oil shale): If the article is correct it takes a huge amount of energy to extract that oil, so much that's is not worth doing.
The oil shale now seems to be worth while. Here in Western Colorado mineral rights are being auctioned off left and right for companies to come in and drill for the oil shale. Some of the trails in Fruita are in danger now because the mineral rights of the land they are on is going up for auction soon.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Looking like its time for the US to "liberate" iran of its oil

Higher prices are here to stay, get used to it. Drive a smaller car/car pool/catch public transport if its hurting you financially.

And why do you call it "gas" anyway, last time i saw some petrol its was most definantlay a "liquid" :clue:

Besides all that, when it comes down to it the price of oil is the same everywhere, the major differance comes about by how much tax governments put on the fuel.