Quantcast

Women of Diablo, introduce yourselves

sweetbabyd

Chimp
May 20, 2007
Bucks County, PA
hello ladies,

i know we're out there: women who love big bikes and have a thing for armor.
there are relatively few of us, and sometimes it's difficult to meet up or even say hello. i have had the absolute pleasure of meeting Kat. K. and Heather B. and i know there are other super groovy ladies out there. so i would like to take the opportunity to say "hi" and tell you a little about myself: my name's Donna, i'm 46 years old, married 21 years, a retailer for 23 year, been riding XC and road for 10 years, and became utterly obsessed with DH last year. i ride a white Santa Cruz VP-Free, and own 6 other bikes: 2 road, 2 mtb, 1 crosser, 1 park, and a unicycle.
and i just love Diablo, even though it is a 2.5 hour ride each way. :)
well, i hope this wasn't too long. i was just wondering if maybe there was something any of you did for the first time at Diablo that really stoked you - i was psyched for days after doing the Flume and Phantom drops, but does anyone have some advice for that darn Dom's Denial?
but anything - maybe finding your line in a rock garden, or riding a wall or about the wheelset you bought - it's cool to hear from other ladies.

peace!
Sweet Baby D

Attachments

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Doms is an easy drop, quite a slow roll in otherwise you clear the tranny and land to flat.

JerZ_r1der

Chimp
May 10, 2008
Vernon, NJ
A big OOHRAH to you for gettin the ladies to voice that they're out there.

The name is Steph, and I'm 17.
I live right up the road from Diablo, so I have the lovely pleasure of going whenever I want.
Didn't get to ride as much as I wanted this summer, 'cause of work, but I go when I can. :]
I ride a Trek Session 77, but saving up to buy a new bike. :]

I'm always lookin for new girls to ride with.
I have a friend who's from PA who just started riding at Diablo, she's pretty cool too.

heather123

Chimp
Sep 1, 2005
I'm Heather B. ( SweetbabyD's ridding buddy), 35 yo, mother of 2 crazy little boys ( 4.5 & 6yo), I have been mountain biking for 13 years off and on. I ride XC /all-mountain, DH/FR. Downhilling at Diablo for 3 years. I build all my own bikes and custom tune the suspension myself. I'm sweetbabyd's main bike/equipment consultant. And take newbies out for my club and assist with skills classes in my area. I love bike tech, I have UGI (upgradeitis) a very expensive disease. I have a bunch of bikes: Intense M1, Uzzi Vpx, and 5.5; Santa Cruz Nomad, Gary Fisher X-caliber, Surly Cross Check, and DMR sideKick.
Like SweetbabyD I'm always looking for ladies that enjoy aggressive riding and having fun. Diablo rocks I just wish it was closer!

Attachments

Last edited:

DHAlicia

Chimp
Apr 27, 2008
Bethel, CT
My name is Alicia Hamilton. Just moved to the Diablo area in March. I am 31 year old, married to a guy who built his own DH bike and rips on it but also just won a stage of the Transrockies and does 24 hrs solo (www.jessejakomait.com). I have made a habit to introduce myself to just about all the women I see out there. I have a Ironhorse Sunday, and my name is on my bike. I've enjoyed progressing through the drops and jumps at Diablo, Ripper is my favorite rock trail (thanks to my friend Janice and her husband Scott and friend Ed, who showed me the "line"). I have done almost all the drops, Dom's drop included, which was a close call the first two times I did it. Last time I followed some friends off at a slow pace and it was butter. Still have to do that drop off of tempest....

I have been riding mountain bikes since 2000; raced XC way too seriously for like 7 years, took a year off the bike racing scene to rock climb and play, discovered Super D in 2007 (while living in Colroado) and started taking the lifts of Keystone last summer with my 4" trail bike which led me to buy a downhill bike last August, so I've been downhilling on a big bike for just over a year now. Besides The Ironhorse, I have a Giant Trance, a Cannondale Super Six road bike, and one sweet cruiser bike. Had a sweet cross bike but gave that up, I just don't like to train that hard to race anymore. Aggressive dowhilling and going bigger on the drops is where my mentality is these days....

You will recognize me, if not by bike by my blonde hair that is too short for one ponytail so it goes into two pigtails. I've been racing my first DH race season this year (8 races so far now!) so I've been absent a lot of weekends but plan to be riding nearly every weekend at Diablo till the season ends, so if you see me PLEASE SAY HI! And, in advance, I applogize for any obnoxious behavior. I think my alter ego comes out once the DH'ing starts and I tend to swear and get loud :busted: I love riding with girls though and working with each other to try new things. So if you want to fool around on the trails let me know, its all about having fun and a good rush! Even if your not doing the big stuff but want some help with getting started let me know, not every run can be a crazy aggressive one, at least not for me since I tend to do about 15-20 runs a day if I can!

Can't wait to hear who else is out there!

Last edited:

sweetbabyd

Chimp
May 20, 2007
Bucks County, PA
hi Steph! hi Alicia!

Alicia, i need to follow your speed off Dom's! i was rock climbing too, but then i broke my hand - seems to happen a lot...

it's nice too hear from other women out there - i just usually hang around with that friggin' skinny pain-in-the-ass Heather B,
who makes me buy new forks n' stuff...

:)

it looks like i won't be at Diablo for another two weeks - and there's so little time left.
hopefully i'll get there maybe three or four more times. such a short season.

i'll look for you guys, and i'll be sure to say "hi"!

yo - props to Queen Kat - Diablo Premier rider and owner of one sweet V-10.

heather123

Chimp
Sep 1, 2005
First, off I will not be held responsible for your bike purchasing habits, whether they be emailed or phoned in by yours truely. I only make suggestions! LOL!:brows:

Plus my skinny a$$ is getting wider by the second due to this stupid shoulder injury, BOOOOO!

DHAlicia

Chimp
Apr 27, 2008
Bethel, CT
hi Steph! hi Alicia!

Alicia, i need to follow your speed off Dom's! i was rock climbing too, but then i broke my hand - seems to happen a lot...

yo - props to Queen Kat - Diablo Premier rider and owner of one sweet V-10.
Well I had to follow some guys to get it right the first time, same with the flume drop, the help of others was needed to get the speed into that thing to make the tranny.

And Kat! Thanks to Kat and some of her friends I got of Phantom the first time. The first time wasn't pretty, but now after 30 times....butter!:cheers: