Quantcast

> Women's Day <

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Went for a ride.
Van is in the shop (brrrrrrrmoney.gif)

Taxes are filed. Gummint still think we're poor. (brrrrrrrrrmoney.gif)

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I am at the point where every new thing I learn evicts some other thing from my brain. Remembering my zip code is seems a fair trade to know that birds aren't real.
I've effectively evicted most of my technical learnings. Didn't use it, can confirm that I did lose it.

I went for a job interview once where the guy was grilling me on various aspects of thermodynamics, physics, and materials science, for which I had no good responses. All working knowledge of those subjects gone.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
More fun than being traffic.
I think that's about what my Manhattan to Brooklyn commute used to take me. Similar duration to the subway.
i'd take 45 minutes on a bike over 45 minutes on a car
Oh, I wasn't complaining. Sorry if it came across that way. I am actually psyched that it's roughly the same amount of time. My commute has been as low as 38 minutes and as high as 50 something. Going by bike into a headwind in 47 minutes is amazing. I also wasn't all that sweaty, which means I may be able to do this more often.

Lower emissions
Same time
More exercise
Less traffic

it's all good

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Oh, I wasn't complaining. Sorry if it came across that way. I am actually psyched that it's roughly the same amount of time. My commute has been as low as 38 minutes and as high as 50 something. Going by bike into a headwind in 47 minutes is amazing. I also wasn't all that sweaty, which means I may be able to do this more often.

Lower emissions
Same time
More exercise
Less traffic

it's all good
if i had a viable route to commute by bike and not put my life at risk i'd consider an e-commuter too.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
if i had a viable route to commute by bike and not put my life at risk i'd consider an e-commuter too.
:stupid:

The worst part is, is that if the city got off it's ass, I'm sooooo close to being able to pull it off. But there is a roughly two mile stretch that honestly is sketchy in a car most days at rush hours, forget a bicycle.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
:stupid:

The worst part is, is that if the city got off it's ass, I'm sooooo close to being able to pull it off. But there is a roughly two mile stretch that honestly is sketchy in a car most days at rush hours, forget a bicycle.
Mine is rail trail for like 60-70% of it. In a couple years, it will be rail trail for 80% of it but we're waiting on the completion of trails in my town and waltham (which apparently hates cyclists). I have a quick zigzag down a not too terrible road right at the end/just before work. It's pretty mellow apart from the main road which is effectively cobblestone

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Went for a ride.
Van is in the shop (brrrrrrrmoney.gif)

Taxes are filed. Gummint still think we're poor. (brrrrrrrrrmoney.gif)
what was wrong with your van when it broke ~2 weeks ago? I missed that resolution

/me is thankful for a ~20-22 minute bike commute route to work on lovely multiuse paths for the vast majority of it. when I have to go in, that is. we built our house where it is in part to facilitate this commute.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Mine is rail trail for like 60-70% of it. In a couple years, it will be rail trail for 80% of it but we're waiting on the completion of trails in my town and waltham (which apparently hates cyclists). I have a quick zigzag down a not too terrible road right at the end/just before work. It's pretty mellow apart from the main road which is effectively cobblestone
Thats the most frustrating part for me. I have to go quite a bit out of my way, but it's probably 80% rail trail and greenway, but that other 20% = :fie:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Thats the most frustrating part for me. I have to go quite a bit out of my way, but it's probably 80% rail trail and greenway, but that other 20% = :fie:
I hear you. I am honestly more afraid of the suburban, shoulder-less roads with a high speed differential than I am of the urban intersections and goofy shit. There are few things more terrifying than getting passed at 30mph lower than a car when you physically cannot be over the white line...just have to pray that they are sober and paying attention.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
got a virtual ergo assessment for my home workstation today. was actually pretty helpful. turns out my super-chair was totally adjusted wrong for me. and I didn't know how to adjust it eighter! like, it was undoing all the work I've been doing through physio for my back pain. now it will actually be supportive of all that work (see what I did there!). will probably be painful in the short term as my body and muscles adjust, but hopefully in pays off in the long term...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Boss has made every team/group call we've been on, but hasn't been available for 5min. This is frustrating because I to have to be somewhere in 45min. I'd prefer not to send him an email, but I have to tell him today.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
curios thing in Costa Rica/San José: there are really no street names or street signs, and basically no listed addresses. I have no idea how they deal with mail. When you describe where you need to go to a taxi driver, you give the general area, and then say ‘across from the store that used to be open, the one with the purple sign’. Uber is hilariously wrong.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Taking next week off to go hang with my brother. He keeps texting me weather forcasts, maps, and links to grocery stores like I am unfamiliar with travelling or the internet. The funny thing is despite being 7 years older than I am when we are together he looks to me for every possible decision or direction.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
curios thing in Costa Rica/San José: there are really no street names or street signs, and basically no listed addresses. I have no idea how they deal with mail. When you describe where you need to go to a taxi driver, you give the general area, and then say ‘across from the store that used to be open, the one with the purple sign’. Uber is hilariously wrong.
meanwhile in Japan the system is all manner of wacky

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
got a virtual ergo assessment for my home workstation today. was actually pretty helpful. turns out my super-chair was totally adjusted wrong for me. and I didn't know how to adjust it eighter! like, it was undoing all the work I've been doing through physio for my back pain. now it will actually be supportive of all that work (see what I did there!). will probably be painful in the short term as my body and muscles adjust, but hopefully in pays off in the long term...

I find that the best solution for work ergonomics is to not work.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Boss was stoked that I'm getting the opportunity and will give me a referral if I want it. But he's more than bummed and stressed out now. Said he knows why I'm doing it and he hopes I get the job, but wishes he had better options to keep me.

Bandaid is pulled. If I don't get this, he knows that I'm actively shopping.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Just finished rebuilding my friend Angelas King wheels. New rims, spokes, and nipples on old hubs. Took my time. Four hours. I am way out of practice. Serviced her hubs also. Lots of Bike work lined up. Good stuff too. New one-sided wheel stand is awesome (Bike Hand). It's like the old Pedro's one-sided stand. Except new instead of clapped out and 25 years old.

Last edited: