Quantcast

Woodland park dj's?

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
they are still there..they are as old as dirt :D

some love them, some hate them...really its a place you have to try on your own. the best part of those jumps? the soccer/ball games going on in the fields next to the jumps afford you artificial lights to jump into the dark hours with...but when they go off, there is no warning...instant darkness.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
they are still there.

as mentioned, some people like them, some don't.

here are some unwritten rules about greenlake. (and any other jumps for that matter)
1. don't ride on the sides of the jumps, gary will yell at you.
2. don't try to change the shape of the jumps
3. don't case the jumps
4. don't skid on the jumps
5. don't ride backwards through the jumps

:)
it's always nice to say "hello, my name is _____" to the locals. offer to come and help fix the jumps whenever the next diggin session is.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=58552
some kid, jumping....

for what it's worth, I break all of those rules everytime I ride there. :D

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
IMO, these jumps aren't worth it on a 26" bike. I've seen it done, but only by a few. I'd venture to say that they are impossible on a DH/FR bike.

jeepmauler

Monkey
Mar 9, 2004
Lynnwood
If you have a hardtail,I'd bring that.I get my big bike(50#) through all of it but it kinda sucks! Watch out for stray soccer balls and BUNNIES!!! I love the baby bunny time of year.........sooooo cute.If there is a head wind(from the north)don't even bother unloading yer bikes and if it's a tail wind,you don't even have to pedal.The run up is slightly downhill and the jumps proper are on FLAT ground,lotsa pumping!! Have fun!!

jeepmauler

Monkey
Mar 9, 2004
Lynnwood
buildyourown said:
IMO, these jumps aren't worth it on a 26" bike. I've seen it done, but only by a few. I'd venture to say that they are impossible on a DH/FR bike.
Not true.It's doable but it's a biznatch!!!!

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
That is were Kevin took me to learn how to jump....well kinda....I was on my old XC bike with a grand total of 3" of travel :thumb:

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
ive seen good jumpers do it smoothly on their big bikes...i would suggest a hardtail...even a bmx would be best for there...but its doable on a 26/26 bike..just a bit of work :) if you live close to the jumps, its totally worth it for an afterwork spot for a 90 min sesh.

Mr. Beans

Chimp
Sep 22, 2004
Issaquah, WA
Great place to jump. One of my favorites. Can be done on your dually or a hardtail. A hardtail is probably easier, but I have seen a 7" bike with a 888 make it through (so no excuses). For such a consolidated area it has way more lines (transfers, etc.) than most other djs around. Word of warning... The ground is damn hard... I mean really, really hard. So, it is a good idea to choose your protection accordingly no matter what the bmx guys are or are not wearing. Have fun, they are running really good right now.

Jake

Mr. Beans

Chimp
Sep 22, 2004
Issaquah, WA
buildyourown said:
I stand corrected. Obviously not impossible, but definitly not for the faint of heart. Those things are really steep and really tight.
But if you can jump there it makes everywhere else seem easy. It would be nice to get more mtbers out there.

Something else i thought of... I know it is tempting, but don't go up in the woods and do the 3 foot wall drop thing. You are not suppose to ride on the hillside, and that gives mtbers a bad wrap with the locals. Anyway, that has nothing to do with the post...

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
Mr. Beans said:
But if you can jump there it makes everywhere else seem easy. It would be nice to get more mtbers out there.

Something else i thought of... I know it is tempting, but don't go up in the woods and do the 3 foot wall drop thing. You are not suppose to ride on the hillside, and that gives mtbers a bad wrap with the locals. Anyway, that has nothing to do with the post...

DOH! we do that all the time...i didnt know you werent supposed to :( time to stop hitting stuff up on the hill.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Mr. Beans said:
Word of warning... The ground is damn hard... I mean really, really hard. So, it is a good idea to choose your protection accordingly no matter what the bmx guys are or are not wearing.
this is painfully true.

s dub

Chimp
Nov 9, 2004
kenmore
buildyourown said:
its been done on a 7inch by 7 inch dh/fr bike

Jun 23, 2003
Seattle, WA
3 simple rules for having fun at greenlake DJs...

1) wear pads...and ride smart and don't get in over your head. too many people get messed up there and get senselessly injured because they thought pads were not cool. ride to ride another day!
2) bring a hardtail. it is totally doable on a DH bike but if it's your first time there you will just be wasting your time (and energy) on a big bike. If a DH/FR bike is all you have then still go but expect your arms to be worked pretty good.
3) don't give up. i see too many people show up there and take a few runs and figure out they can't do it and they give up. greenlake is the type of place that you really have to be patient with. It is all about learning the rythem of the jumps. most people can't figure out how to do the setup jump and consequently they just give up. don't be one of those people. if you can get the setup jump everything else is gravy.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
buildyourown said:
I can barely ride them on my AS-X, and although it is certainly doable, unless you're extremely good, it won't be much fun.

Ynot

Chimp
Dec 20, 2004
I learned to jump at Greenlake on a 26" hardtail. It took me over a year of going out once a month or so to figure it out. By taking baby steps with doable goals each day I was finally able to make it all the way though the first big line.
The local bmxers were always encouraging and never gave me a bad time about my armor.
Because of Greenlake I can now have fun at Softies.
Greenlake is cool.
Tony

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
buildyourown said:
Funny thing about that, the first time I went down there last fall, I brought the Iron Horse SGS (5x6 travel) down there. This BMXer was just killing all the sets, going huge, and looking fairly amused at my sad attempts to hit the baby line (I'm just starting out hitting any DJs). So we're talking a bout bikes a bit, and I offer him atry on it: he blazed the big line like he was John Cowan, then rolled back and joked about how heavy the bike is. It's definately do-able. Gotta go back and practice more on my Christmas STP next month...