Quantcast

Woodworking monkees- question

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
My room mate for next year and I have been given a little set of shelves/ table top sort of thing for our dorm room. It's a pretty functional piece, but the top is plain plywood, and it looks like ass. We'd like to try to make it look a bit better, but are broke college students and can't afford much. We're thinking the best option might be a varnished wood veneer over the plywood, but are open for suggestions. Ideally we'd like something pretty durable, able to take some spills, etc. Any thoughts? Matching it to the rest of our furniture isn't really a concern, because we have no idea what we're going to get for that, so we can't really take that into account.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Stain it and apply several coats of polyurethane.

Follow the directions on the cans and you'll be fine.

If you put any more effort into a project for your dorm room you're not getting the extra-curricular activities concept.

Go have fun.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Better idea..........

go to any paint store in your area and ask for "bar topper" you can then place pictures, coins, condom wrappers, and other memoriabilia on the top and put a 1/4 inch of clear coating over the top.

might run you 40 bucks but the effect is worth it

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Better idea..........

go to any paint store in your area and ask for "bar topper" you can then place pictures, coins, used condoms, and other memoriabilia on the top and put a 1/4 inch of clear coating over the top.

might run you 40 bucks but the effect is worth it
Eeew.