Quantcast

Work/Ride party

WARider

Monkey
May 21, 2003
Me and my fella's are headed out to a trail we've been working on for some local riding for during the week after work. A couple of us just sold our rides as the new steeds are in route and we've decided to head out to our local spot to build all day saturday. I thought I'd send an open invite to any and all who live or want to ride in the south sound for Saturday. There's going to be a few of us sessioning as we take breaks from adding onto our trail. We'd be more than happy to show any fellow riders are hard worked trail that we just recently built. Bring a shuvel, hammer, nails, wood etc etc and help us develop the best trail in the south sound area. We are planning a wall ride build on Saturday, along with a trail gap to 20 ft double followed by 20ft double, and some skinny's for the squirl's. Here's some photos of what we've got to date. If your interested, shoot me an email at bikinwa@comcast.net and I'll send out directions. Bring the bikes, bring the dogs, bring the beverages and come ride and build. Trail is on open land for the public, all we ask is that you just respect it, but feel free to come ride!

Attachments

WARider

Monkey
May 21, 2003
Budman,

just sent you a reply.

As to the live tree thing, yes, we use them, the tree's are getting torn down in a few years for a development.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Originally posted by WARider
Budman,

just sent you a reply.

As to the live tree thing, yes, we use them, the tree's are getting torn down in a few years for a development.
The DNR's number one concern with trails of that type are people nailing or spiking into live trees.

That is going to do more to get trails shut down than anything.

Ice Bullit

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
Seattle, WA
I hate all this bullsh#$ politics about everything, our jumps are getting plowed, our trails shut down its just a bunch of crap!!! I hate it !!!:angry:

(sorry just a little pissed)

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Originally posted by Ice Bullit
I hate all this bullsh#$ politics about everything, our jumps are getting plowed, our trails shut down its just a bunch of crap!!! I hate it !!!:angry:

Buy some property.....build all the jumps/trails you want.

huckerAJ

Monkey
Aug 8, 2002
Hooray build as much as possible.....They easily sell there land to cut the trees down so who gives a sh1t!!! I built tree forts when I was little and the trees that I spiked and nailed to are still standing and my cool fort is long gone....so it does no harm....HA

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by huckerAJ
Hooray build as much as possible.....They easily sell there land to cut the trees down so who gives a sh1t!!! I built tree forts when I was little and the trees that I spiked and nailed to are still standing and my cool fort is long gone....so it does no harm....HA
er, the DNR and BLM seem to care. so you should care too, unless you're satisfied with only poaching illegal trails in the future

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Originally posted by huckerAJ
Yah but you're not thirteen anymore........

WARider

Monkey
May 21, 2003
Guys,

This is getting off the subject, the subject is who wants to ride and build with us tomorrow!?

I understand the whole "save the tree thing" but this is on land that is getting plowed for homes in a year so no one cares what's happening as long as we dont knock over big trees that they can sell.

We'll be heading out at 10ish, if your not racing or going to whistler, then help us build a killer trail for the south sound, we've already got 8 hits/stunts constructed, we are aiming to get a wall ride and road gap up tomorrow.

~J

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
Gee fellas instead of saying, "you can't nail into live trees." How about we hear, "instead of nailing into live trees........." What's the alternative? Let's hear suggestions because maybe some of us don't know any methods.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by ArEm7
Gee fellas instead of saying, "you can't nail into live trees." How about we hear, "instead of nailing into live trees........." What's the alternative? Let's hear suggestions because maybe some of us don't know any methods.
instead of nailing into live trees...

... build your own supports using dead wood/lumber.

how's that? :D

WARider

Monkey
May 21, 2003
Originally posted by Toshi
instead of nailing into live trees...

... build your own supports using dead wood/lumber.

how's that? :D
Instead of ya'll coming in here telling us what to do on waste land that's going to be plowed, how about offering some hands instead of complaining about ruining tree's that are going to timber when the bulldozers arive in a year. As for now, were building a sick trail, I'm offering to show it to those who have'nt spent any time building, it's taken us a month to get what we got, but we could use more help, and in exchange, you get to ride a sick trail.

The tree's are going to die regardless in a year, no one cares if there's nails in them, they will be falling regardless of our nails or not.

WARider

Monkey
May 21, 2003

Come out and build with us, we are planning on building a dj section on this trail. SO far its just some large doubles with tranny's, a small teeter, stump jump and a couple of drops. We are working on a wall ride, a road gap and soon to be DJ's for the upper section. THe land is only supposed to be around for another 2-3 years, but we think this is the last section to be developed. In any case, if we could just get enough hands for a weekend or two we could have a nice trail for at least "This summer".
Email me if your intersted, were always out there if were not at work or college.
~J

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!

I understand the whole "save the tree thing" but this is on land that is getting plowed for homes in a year so no one cares what's happening as long as we dont knock over big trees that they can sell.
First of all It's not about the whole " save the tree thing". It's about them not being able to harvest trees with nails or spikes in them. They do wonders for the sawmill blades and the people operating them :rolleyes:

Second of all, I'm a chick.

Thirdly, I'm not saying you can't do anything, but you'll be back posting here crying about the DNR knocking all your **** down....blaming the 'man'. Just don't nail into living trees.

WARider

Monkey
May 21, 2003
lol...Whatever you say sweetheart :p

DNR, BLM, Forest service, or any other government agency has nothing to do with these woods, this is privately owned by a corporation. The three nails in each tree to use as a support brace is hardly going to affect anything, if anything at all. We use our own "well built" stunts that are mainly supported by their own constructions, the only time we hammer into tree's is to use as a brace support.

Again, this post has gone way off topic, this isn't the politically correct forum, this is a ride posting area, I'm offering up a spot for you "sweatheart" and the others to come ride, save the pc crap for the public trails.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
lol...Whatever you say sweetheart :p

DNR, BLM, Forest service, or any other government agency has nothing to do with these woods, this is privately owned by a corporation. The three nails in each tree to use as a support brace is hardly going to affect anything, if anything at all. We use our own "well built" stunts that are mainly supported by their own constructions, the only time we hammer into tree's is to use as a brace support.

Again, this post has gone way off topic, this isn't the politically correct forum, this is a ride posting area, I'm offering up a spot for you "sweatheart" and the others to come ride, save the pc crap for the public trails.
trailhacker should kick your ass for several reasons.....

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by Snacks
Second of all, I'm a chick.
And I'm supposed to know that because...?? Come on, it's the internet. What do I do? Instead of "fellas", put "fellow bulletin board users"?

Don't get all up in arms. I asked nicely for suggestions.

WARider

Monkey
May 21, 2003
Wow,

This has got to be the stupidest bunch of people I've ever offered an invite too.

For all of you who have posted about actual riding, building, and sent me an email, see you out there, this message isn't for you.

For all of you who came in here talking about "Save the tree's"
or getting all pissy because they didn't address you right, or getting threatened for calling a girl a sweetheart, get a Fvckin life!

I came in here to offer an open invite to our trail that we worked hard building for a month. And what type of response do I get...?

Lamme! Next time I'll just keep the invite for people who ride and build, not play "politically correct" on the internet.

Pfffffffft!:rolleyes:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Wow,

This has got to be the stupidest bunch of people I've ever offered an invite too.

For all of you who have posted about actual riding, building, and sent me an email, see you out there, this message isn't for you.

For all of you who came in here talking about "Save the tree's"
or getting all pissy because they didn't address you right, or getting threatened for calling a girl a sweetheart, get a Fvckin life!

I came in here to offer an open invite to our trail that we worked hard building for a month. And what type of response do I get...?

Lamme! Next time I'll just keep the invite for people who ride and build, not play "politically correct" on the internet.

Pfffffffft!:rolleyes:
Oh come on, come on back we'll play nice now....:(

i don't think anyone here is wanting to save the tree's so much as wanting to save the logger from getting a nail flung into his skull or at least save the equipment when they chop down the tree's. But this deal goes beyond just that little side deal that can piss off land owners and government. (Oh and twine or rope can work great too, learn how to tie a good square knot, if done correctly it'll last the 5 plus years, your bridges lifespan should be about the same depending on how much it's exposed to weather.)

We're always down for new trails and yah thank you for takin the time to build. But be smart about it, my comment about being 13 years old was a joking one, but it's pretty true. Yes alot of trails around here have illegal roots, Victor, Tapeworm, even. But if we go around with the attitude of Build whenever, wherever, and however we want. All that work and other's work will be toast, because mt. bikers will get a worse rap, and people will start to be on the lookout for any little stupid thing to shut us down. That's why people are discreet, that's why builders are trying to make the less impact as possible because it's illegal.... yah we wanna ride it today, but if we're smart about trail building we'll be able to ride it tomorrow too.

Your deal is prett far from being bad in my book, (but i don't know all the particulars, you could be building in a watershed for all i know....) But at least you are not chopping down lumber to make way for doubles on government land. Or destroying a gate that was put in to prevent shuttling. Talk about asking to get shut down hard.......

So we're stupid i'm glad you figured that out..... Usually it takes others quite longer.....

Mmike if you're actually reading all of this, your a peckerwood even even when you're not trying hard to be one (huh huh "hard"), never forget that, you peckerwood.:p

May 9, 2003
Burien at Crappiss' House
I think it looks like a killer trail you guys, and I hope I get to see it one day soon. I work all day saturday and sunday this weekend, but please don't give up on everyone here, I'd love to help out and eventually check out your trail myself!

As for all this pc trail talk, I'm not anti tree or anything, nor do I want anyone (non rider) having a worse opinion of us than they did before, but sometimes you gotta do your thing. It's easier to apologize later than to ask and be told no. Sometimes you just gotta build a trail if you want a trail to ride. That said, always be sneaky, build safe, and try to build in a way that nobody can just flat bust your ass for making something stupid or irresponsible, eh? Most of all, never stop building.

And that, my friends is what we call...

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Originally posted by Skookum

Mmike if you're actually reading all of this, your a peckerwood even even when you're not trying hard to be one (huh huh "hard"), never forget that, you peckerwood.:p

Oh no no no....I wasn't trying to stir sh1t up! Not at ALL! I would NEVER do such a thing.....

AHAHAHAHAHAAAaaaaaaaaa...........

WARider

Monkey
May 21, 2003
Originally posted by Skookum
Oh come on, come on back we'll play nice now....:(

i don't think anyone here is wanting to save the tree's so much as wanting to save the logger from getting a nail flung into his skull or at least save the equipment when they chop down the tree's. But this deal goes beyond just that little side deal that can piss off land owners and government. (Oh and twine or rope can work great too, learn how to tie a good square knot, if done correctly it'll last the 5 plus years, your bridges lifespan should be about the same depending on how much it's exposed to weather.)

We're always down for new trails and yah thank you for takin the time to build. But be smart about it, my comment about being 13 years old was a joking one, but it's pretty true. Yes alot of trails around here have illegal roots, Victor, Tapeworm, even. But if we go around with the attitude of Build whenever, wherever, and however we want. All that work and other's work will be toast, because mt. bikers will get a worse rap, and people will start to be on the lookout for any little stupid thing to shut us down. That's why people are discreet, that's why builders are trying to make the less impact as possible because it's illegal.... yah we wanna ride it today, but if we're smart about trail building we'll be able to ride it tomorrow too.

Your deal is prett far from being bad in my book, (but i don't know all the particulars, you could be building in a watershed for all i know....) But at least you are not chopping down lumber to make way for doubles on government land. Or destroying a gate that was put in to prevent shuttling. Talk about asking to get shut down hard.......

So we're stupid i'm glad you figured that out..... Usually it takes others quite longer.....

Right on Skook, I hear yah! I totally understand what you guys are saying about keeping it clean. I actually was only building free standing stunts until my friends showed up, they had the idea of bracing them to tree's, but the nails are limited. Seeing how this whole area is getting developed, and the fact that there's others building here, we figured no one cared. THe trail is only in one spot, and we've spent a month carving out lines in the ground, diggin and building up huge cheese wedge dirt landings, and building. Up until recently, all the wood was hauled in, but some of the guys are taking down small size tree's that are of no use to anyone, even in a year or two when they finally develop this place.

Anyhow, ride on, drop me an email and come out to session with us.

~J

WARider

Monkey
May 21, 2003
Well it was a slow go at er this weekend. I was able to get the first 16 feet of our bridge up and mostly stabilized. I'm building a foot wide bridge that is going to go through the tree's, it will have a 12 foot drop to tranny halfway through it or you can take it all the way through(probably about 100 feet long, 12 feet up) to a road gap which connects you into the "double d's" gap pictured below.

I just spent $50 on wood, usually we hit up the job site junk piles but I need long 12 footers for the 4 section bridge gap so I splurged and hopefully tomorrow I'll be back at her again, at least until the afternoon.

If anyone wants to come help build, this trail is going to be sick and your all welcome to come, as long as you don't leave your trash and fix what you break.

See you on the trail!
~J

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I hate it when people say that, you have money? I sure as hell don't - I go to college the great money eater :angry:
Ya I have money. Not having any doesn't give you the right to build on someone else land.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I hate it when people say that, you have money? I sure as hell don't - I go to college the great money eater :angry:
Trueth is, if you weren't going to college you wouldn't buy property either.

Sad fact is that if you aren't building on your own land, you are building on someone elses. People don't like others doing what they will on their property. You also expose them to increased liability because any jackass can sue them for "allowing" the stunts on their land, making them responsible for other people getting hurt.

Micro example: It is like if I would go at your bike with an allen wrench and start adjusting it to the way I like it without your permision....then I will ride around on it. (That is what you are doing to another persons land.) Oh and if I should fall and scrape my elbow, or anyone else come along and I hand your bike over to them and they hurt themselves, you are now responsible because you are the owner of the bike. Maybe I should buy my own bike if I want to ride a bike, no? Screw that I can't afford a bike right now it is to darn expensive (well gee, I think it cost the land owner/bike owner money to get it too) so I am going to keep pirating bikes and using them without permission.

I can understand teh frustration of not having trails like you want them. But if they are done illegally and are torn down you dont have one bit of reason to complain. I am more apt to flick your ear (in a big brother sort of way) for putting yet another stain on the MTB word and making it that much harder for any real positive change in the future. If you are looking for real word positive change hook up with the project being planned and built under I-5 in Seattle or with the BBTC (a better idea) and work on the I-5 and other sites like Finn Hill, etc.

Ice Bullit

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by Snacks
Ya I have money. Not having any doesn't give you the right to build on someone else land.
Then buy some land then, we all are willing and ready for the chance to build on some "leagal" turf, just let us know when you get it....