Quantcast

Working In Canada, need suggestions

Turley

Chimp
May 22, 2004
Queensland, Australia
Hey guys, I'm heading over to canada in late November and I just got a couple questions.

1. Where is a nice place to base myself? I'm gonna be a bit late to get a job at whistler for the winter and whistler is also expensive to live/work at and I am keen to make money while working so I can get a new bike for the summer :)

2. Do any bike shops hire in the winter season as I would love to get a job in a shop but, I ain't sure on how the shops work overthere.

Thanx for any help you can provide

Turley

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
November is actually a good time to find work. Bad time to find a place to live though, although if you go with a bigger company you can get staff housing. Look at www.whistlerlodgingco.com, 4seasons, chateau or the westin. All offer staff accomodation. Oh and don't forget the mountain, tonnes of staff accom there.

In whistler all shops become snowboard shops. Squamish and vancouver there is year round work for biking (as there is year round biking) so most stay as bike shops.

alpentalic

Chimp
Sep 13, 2004
bellevue.snoqualmiepass.wa
i think the best bet is to join the "circus" aka. the ski resort, its probably your best bet for an imediate job... find out when the job fair is or go to the resort website and find out about employment... theres always a job at a ski area to be had... just understand that when the snow is gone you dont have a job anymore? i dont know how many jobs transfer over to summer up in whistler... so you might get lucky on that part

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
With how busy summer is. We also no longer have a shoulder season in the spring. There are more jobs than ever that transfer over. There might still be a layoff but 80% of the time the employees are seasonal too. Most people up here working in the winter leave in the spring (april 24th usually as that is the contract date for the free pass ;)) If you want to stay for the summer, you will likely always have work as it only slows down in the town...Now :D

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
I always figured it would be decent...weird. Considering how long your season lasts and how often things break when the shore gets really wet ;)

Neal

Chimp
Jun 7, 2004
Seattle
Don't forget Big White-out in Kelowna or Kicking Horse Pass in Golden, B.C. The former is ok, the latter will make you smile.