Quantcast

World Masters Championships

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
Sun Peaks is trying desperately to get a World Cup berth so they are driving hard to the hole for the Masters this year, i think they will get it 100%, mondialduvelo is the same promoter as bromont so I'm sure they don't care that much.
Plus the course at Sun Peaks is killer, so long and fast

Oct 1, 2001
Michigan
This is confirmed - Sun Peaks August 9-14. I spoke with the promoter a couple of weeks ago. Likely to be a Canada Cup the same weekend, just like old times at Bromont. Bromont had contracted the event until 2006 I believe, but this year they were not willing to come up with any $$ and Sun Peaks is. It will be cool to see something new.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Wallstreetbiker said:
This is confirmed - Sun Peaks August 9-14. I spoke with the promoter a couple of weeks ago. Likely to be a Canada Cup the same weekend, just like old times at Bromont. Bromont had contracted the event until 2006 I believe, but this year they were not willing to come up with any $$ and Sun Peaks is. It will be cool to see something new.
Does anyone have any info on getting out to sunpeaks.....?

Are there any ariports locations...?.......major cities....?.....is there a shuttle from the airport....?

Does thier lift run all week....?........could you make into a a full on riding trip why being out there to do the race......?

I heard Sunpeaks is awesome...

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was going to start our honeymoon in B.C. before Idaho, but now it looks like it's B.C. the weekend after Brianhead. Rainbow Jersey here I come. Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
Is Sunpeaks in BC????
That would be sick! I'll be in Whisler the second half of august. How far is it?
Any more details?

snoopz666

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
now residing in kamloops
or you could fly into kamloops, sunpeaks is only a half an hour away(sorry if im wrong havent been there in a long time.) the rideing around kamloops is awesome too. endless singletrack there. mabey phone up some of the bike shops and ask. i know full boar has a weekly ride and im sure the would have a trip up to sunpeaks for sumthin like that. i think they even have a shop up there.

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
Heath Sherratt said:
So I have to take a whole month off just to race my bike? Crazy Schedulling, weekends are out of the picture for shizzle. Can't wait-
Better than the Go to ID then go to CO then take a few weeks off go back to cali then go back to CO three weeks later crap that was last year and the year before.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
The course at Sunpeaks is so addictive. The top have is in and out of the trees, has a few rolling drops with g-outs and some nice bermed corners. It's all natural with some man-assisted enhancements. It's pretty tight and twisty but can be taken with good speed.

The middle section opens up for a while with a really fast fire road section and road/stream gap into a nice fast section through the trees. You then finally get fired out onto the ski run and it's full-on fast to the end through some sweepers.

I rode there last summer and did that run over and over. It'll leave a huge grin on your face. I predict that Sunpeaks will pick up the trail building for this season and all the other trails will be refined and groomed to match.

Jon.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
JJ_PA said:
Do pro's that are over 30 compete in the masters world championships ?
Or do they have different classes, and do they offer MTNX ?
thanks
Yes and no. A pro rider can compete as long as they have not competed in a UCI World Cup during the current season. There was some serious confusion on this last year with the UCI offical that didn't know the rules. John Leslie and Lars Tribus both got hassled for having elite licenses even though both had raced in previous years. Heck, half the people there had UCI Elite licenses. It got cleared up within an hour or so when the promoter interviened. Again, this was clarified again for 2005. You can race a Norba national as a pro. Just not a UCI World cup.

Classes are based on age only. Yes, you can have a top pro in the world in the gate right behind you during qualifing with only 30 second intervals. Luckly, the 2 years that I have raced, I have never been passed.

4x: never at Bromont. Who knows at Sun Peaks. Most 30+ guys don't like to bash bars. Look at the poor turnout of 4X at nationals. Then again, most of the courses suck.

sheila m

Chimp
Feb 15, 2005
Barrie, ON, CAN
The same confusing chick at registration also gave me a hassle for having an elite license last year. She then went on to tell me that for next year, we wouldn't be able to race the masters if we had raced any uci sanctioned events, Not just world cups, (which would include Canada Cup races for us northerners).
If someone could post a link to clarify this, it would be much appreciated. Gotta know what license to get when I'm at the Toronto Bike Show in a couple of weeks. P.S. Rumour has it that Lopes will be racing there, so come on up for the weekend!!

sheila m

Chimp
Feb 15, 2005
Barrie, ON, CAN
the problem for me is, that I race pro at the Canada cups and nationals, (that way I can make some coin :) but would like to race the masters championships as well. And if they change the rules, like the registration person said was going to happen for next year, I will not be able to race the masters (cuz it says elite on my license) :mad: I hope she didn't know what she was talking about.... Guess I'll try UCI site and fumble through it.Lemme know if you find it 1st. Thanks.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Heath Sherratt said:
Just Foolin', I can't wait to ride that much. I hope all my "miles" cover my flights. Gosh! So fun. Riding and racing is just so fun.
Its only 16 hour drive. Durango was what, 18 hours?