Quantcast

Worst Bike you have ever owned

splat

Nam I am
There have been a bunch of threads what was you favorite bike , the best kie etc , etc

Well lets hear what is the worst Bike youhave ever owned , I mean one you just couldn't stand . and I'm not talking about Huffies or crap like that I'm talking real Bike that just sucked!!

Mine would have to be the GT avalance I got in the early 90's it was replacing my Fat chance after it broke , and It drove me crazy that tripple triangle they had , well it lower he seat stays so every pedal revolution my feet would brush up against the Cantilever brakes, I had that bike maybe a month before I sold it.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I enjoyed the Nishiki I had.

I enjoyed the Cannondale I had.

I enjoy the Spooky I have now.

I've never had a bad experience with a bike.

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
When I was growing up and my dad wanted to go on a road ride I would use my mom's old Univega because she had lost her interest in riding a long time ago. It wasn't a womans bike but the thing just felt weird. On the other hand when I was older I would take my dad's Takara for rides when he was at work. That bike was great and it didn't even have indexed shifters, but boo hiss to the Univega.

Mar 23, 2006
NoVA/ Richmond
Worst experiance with a bike was when i had this Mongoose Pathfinder full suspension bike. The bike rode alright, and shifted decently. However, the cranks would never stay on. After almost every ride the crank arms would be loose again (This gave me a dislike of Square taper bottom brackets). However, on one ride I got a bit of air off a crest in a trail, and snapped the frame. To say the least mongoose isnt on my good side.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
Clifcat Turmoil. worst dh bike ever. the geometry was terrible. TT was a nice 23 c to c. but its like he was drunk with everything else.

built it up for about 4 days. never again

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
2003-ish Giant AC. It worked fine when the situation didn't call for pedaling or braking. I sold it to a friend after 4 months, who subsequently sold it a month later.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Some bikes are better than others, but I haven't owned one I hated.

The Azonic DS1 I bought a few years ago that was built with 24" wheels was a bit silly. I didn't build it, but the 170mm cranks and 24" wheels made it unrideable in the woods because I smacked a pedal with every crank.

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
Some bikes are better than others, but I haven't owned one I hated.

The Azonic DS1 I bought a few years ago that was built with 24" wheels was a bit silly. I didn't build it, but the 170mm cranks and 24" wheels made it unrideable in the woods because I smacked a pedal with every crank.
hmm should have built it up with 26s you would have liked it much better because mine is great.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Cannondale R4000 road bike w carbon fiber forks

It was an ok straight line bike but take it into the hills and it just plain sucked in the twisties. The bike just couldn't dive through a turn, it was always a fight. Of course this was after 18 years of riding Colnagos....only got the cannondale as an interim frame while I saved up for another Colnago..a Masterlight X

druber

Chimp
May 23, 2005
Jamis Dakar.

I was just getting back into riding and bought a Jamis Dakar as my first FS bike.

I broke the frame 3 times in ~6 months (and I'm not a Clydsdale). There were also problems with the rear dropout that prevented the rear wheel from actually staying put.

When it worked, it did ok though.

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
96-ish? GT STS with 'thermo-plastic' front trangle. Also came with a wonderful bushing laden aluminum rear end that creaked, cracked and just broke in half on a weekly basis.

Eventually GT got tired of replacing parts and I got a HT ruckus as a warranty replacement which was the start of much better things....

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
My Azonic Steelhead, and My canondale Gemini 2005. I wouldn't say hate for the steelhead since I rode the hell out of it, but the Gemini... my second run on the WC course in AngleFire, I cracked the hell out of the headtube. I was furious, and their CS sucked balls.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
The worst bike I have ever owned was a Trek-Y22, I actually loved the bike but EVERYONE else hated it... I ended up parting it out on eBay after a got a Gary Fisher Sugar which I still ride. :)

As for a bike I hated... I bought a 2002 Raleigh R-700 because I thought my Serotta was old and tired. Ugh... the Raleigh frame was harsh and made my hands and ass numb. I paid $1,400.00 for it and tried to ride it for 2 seasons before begging a friend to buy it for $350.00. I ended up rebuilding my Serotta with Campy Chorus and still ride it several times a week - the frame is pushing 15 years old. :)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i was disappointed in the ride of the voodoo bakka; i thought it was gonna be a lot nimbler and easy to bunnyhop. could have been the setup, but i don't think it was.