Worst downhill bike of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
no, the battle rear end was aluminum.

as for FLA DH, i took yr post to mean that there were actual downhill races in florida, not that the team was from there.
No, there was a florida DH series for 3 years. The races were pretty damn fun, I distinctly remeber Jason McCroy and Todd Tanner going one-two in Gainesville. There are plenty of open pit mines in Florida to race down, especially if you start at the top of the trailings. Some of the races we had were in the 2.5 minute range. Not bad!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
No, there was a florida DH series for 3 years. The races were pretty damn fun, I distinctly remeber Jason McCroy and Todd Tanner going one-two in Gainesville. There are plenty of open pit mines in Florida to race down, especially if you start at the top of the trailings. Some of the races we had were in the 2.5 minute range. Not bad!
Is the 2.5 minute range include the pedal to the top of mountain?

In8Racing

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Trying to find some skillz...
Old school Ellsworth Dare with Stratos Helix rear and MX6 front...

I still have nightmare about riding that bike. I swear I could look to my right or left at any moment and see the rear wheel flexing around so it was right next to me.

Fortunately, it was stolen in 2000 - but cost me the rear window of my jeep.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
there's someone on here who owns an apoc, and uses it for dh race, not hucking. I'm not going to deny the silliness of that bike, but I would love to play with one for a while, imagine 6" of sag with 7" of active travel left...it would be neat to ride, but maybe not race-effective.

Secondly, karpiels were some of the best bikes I've toyed with, and I think most people agree. You must have gotten a skinny person's bike or something. I've ridden an army and a disco and they both pedalled fantastically, with no bob. Jan's QC wasn't the best, and it's sad to see those bikes go.
ahhh kk well i stand wrong...i will try and have another go one one...i will take my comment back:imstupid:

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
but that's what confuses me about the sinister design, it's been done once already, and dropped. Why should it work this time around...? The same issues will be present, minus the weight, but plus the fact that you'll never get full travel rearward and up, which is where you need it most.
The sinister design is very different in the way it is set up. It also does not lock up during pedalling or breaking which were the 2 big issues with the those old cannondales.

As for the worst DH bike, it would be anything that doesn't perform as intended.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The sinister design is very different in the way it is set up. It also does not lock up during pedalling or breaking which were the 2 big issues with the those old cannondales.

As for the worst DH bike, it would be anything that doesn't perform as intended.
how and why? Because it's made by FTW? The wheel moves backwards and up, it's going to lock out in one direction everytime you pedal, same as the cannondale. If you can explain to me otherwise, I'd love to hear it, but I don't see how you can have chain torque and rearward travel at the same time- they cancel each other out.

I have no idea how either will perform under braking. I would assume the rear wheel (chainstay?) will extend to a degree, but the rider would probably feel as though it were a normal single pivot.

well that and the fact that your cocky and not very good.

oh so youre sour at my little screwing around bragging on another thread where i was talking with a few close friends?

oh and as for the not very good part, well excuse me for only being riding for less that a year and a half, being on a whacked out frankenbike thats not truly meant for what i do and want to do, not being able to ride/practice much due to school, having only crappy ass trails within a 30 mile radius of my house and nowhere to build a full-on DH run without running into the law, being 15 with no car and no-one to take me to the real trails on a semi-regular basis, and not pulling flashy tricks in the only photos i have of myself to make me seem good. sorry dude, but pictures dont show true speed when youre going over solid rock with no dust indicator of speed.

as with anything on the internet, i try to be cool to people, mess around with clear indications that i am messing around, and try to be nice or whatever, but in the end, someone gets pissy and starts talking sh!t... oh well, as i say to many other people who think theyre good or think theyre something, "I'll race ya. If you shut ME up(not that i really truly ever said anything), so be it, i have some more learning to do, but if its the other way around, dont expect it to get into my head because i'm not the type to go shoving shiat in your face over something so small"... unless were friends and can understand when the other is joking or not.

revmonkey

Monkey
Sep 6, 2005
*cough*

*disclaimer*

I am in no way, shape or form, personally responsible for this crime against cycling. you can blame my brother for that.

Bearmntpicnic

Monkey
Oct 23, 2005
charlottesville
oh so youre sour at my little screwing around bragging on another thread where i was talking with a few close friends?

oh and as for the not very good part, well excuse me for only being riding for less that a year and a half, being on a whacked out frankenbike thats not truly meant for what i do and want to do, not being able to ride/practice much due to school, having only crappy ass trails within a 30 mile radius of my house and nowhere to build a full-on DH run without running into the law, being 15 with no car and no-one to take me to the real trails on a semi-regular basis, and not pulling flashy tricks in the only photos i have of myself to make me seem good. sorry dude, but pictures dont show true speed when youre going over solid rock with no dust indicator of speed.

as with anything on the internet, i try to be cool to people, mess around with clear indications that i am messing around, and try to be nice or whatever, but in the end, someone gets pissy and starts talking sh!t... oh well, as i say to many other people who think theyre good or think theyre something, "I'll race ya. If you shut ME up(not that i really truly ever said anything), so be it, i have some more learning to do, but if its the other way around, dont expect it to get into my head because i'm not the type to go shoving shiat in your face over something so small"... unless were friends and can understand when the other is joking or not.
if Im ever in wherever you live ill hit you up. I think we live on other sides of the country. I understand you situation, but maybe thats what makes you not very good, maybe your good for riding a frankin bike.

im not talking crap, I just feel like you talk alot of crap about how you would be so good if you could drive, had a different bike, ect. Which is completley hypothetical and worthless.

the end.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
ahhh im guessing u ride one??? lol so u would be leaning towards liking it....but i thought they were pritty bad and when i rode one it was liek riding a mush...but i was talkinf about the super big one the 14" rear best...not yhe standar4d issue ones:pirate2:
I still ride an Armageddon, it's adjustable from 9"-11". I have mine at 10" of travel and it's great. The Apocalypse was adjustable so you have flexibility in travel there too. They do ride very plush, travel feels bottomless. For goofing off on the technical stuff, it' hard to beat one of these bikes.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
i'm 25 and still have never had a drivers license. you need to find some better friends. i've been just about everywhere in this country to ride. and will continue to help pay for gas in the future. shut up and go ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.