Quantcast

Worst ride at diablo ever...post yours

norulez

Chimp
Jun 30, 2008
Today was probably the worst ride at diablo I have ever had in the year or so I have been going there.

My friend and I were on our 3rd run of the day on monarch. At the end, we got to that fork and made the right down to the into/ am-pro split section just before crap chute. We took the am-pro side and my friend took a spill down that really steep rock face. He was alright but pretty bruised. After we go back to riding about 100 yards further down the trail I went OTB and smashed my derailer pretty good and was unusable. At that point we decided to go home at about 11:00.

:mad:

Feel free to post your own worst ride at diablo...

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
I don't know that I can point to one run and say it was the absolute worst. I've had fun on every single run I've taken at diablo.

At this point, I get out to diablo so rarely that the only thing that would cut the day short is an injury that made riding impossible. If something on the bike breaks, I buy it in the store, get it installed, and keep riding. To me it's worth it to spend the extra money and keep riding for the rest of the day, and I don't mind spending money at diablo anyway since its a place I want to support.

I can't cut diablo sessions short anymore since I don't know when I'll get to go next. Having a job with weekend work sucks.

Ironjunk

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Last week I broke my chain then while riding chainless the next run I got a flat near the upper salvation kicker, that suuuuuuuuuuucked.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I GOT THREE FLAT TIRES TODAY!

One was a screw in my tire. I have downhill tires and tubes too...

Hamburgler

Chimp
Aug 25, 2004
definitely was back in may/june of this year when we had that first hot weekend. it was so utterly hot, after every run we spent 10 min hydrating. it was fine on the lift, and riding, but as soon as you stopped the heat caught up.

Jun 10, 2007
North Jersey
last year at the open i:
snapped my chain
bashed my derailer cage in
broke the hanger
bent my bars
snapped my axle
blew out my rear hub
and bent my bars

and by the way this was all in one run haha

CraShRyDer7

Monkey
Feb 1, 2008
franklin lakes
i nose cased the last dominion jump and went over my bars. fell on my wrist, and thought it wasnt anything bad, maybe just a sprain or a small break, then later that night im in surgery and was told ill be off my bike for probubly the whole season....

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
sunday of memorial day weekend. Blew my damper on sat, my friends truck over heated, issues with the hotel, and rode all day sun with no damping on a new bike, pissed off. But like they say a bad day of riding is still better than a bad day of work.

dmolaver

Chimp
May 5, 2008
my worst was a few tuesdays ago. fell off the wallride for a reason i have yet to understand.. i never have trouble on them..
then a few hours later hit doms denial with a little too much speed, couldnt slow down, hit a braking bump, over the bars, and into those trees to the right just before the berm. broken collar bone, torn ligament in my shoulder, and it cracked my helmet =[

Instigatr

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
New Milford, NJ
Today was probably the worst ride at diablo I have ever had in the year or so I have been going there.

My friend and I were on our 3rd run of the day on monarch. At the end, we got to that fork and made the right down to the into/ am-pro split section just before crap chute. We took the am-pro side and my friend took a spill down that really steep rock face. He was alright but pretty bruised. After we go back to riding about 100 yards further down the trail I went OTB and smashed my derailer pretty good and was unusable. At that point we decided to go home at about 11:00.

:mad:

Feel free to post your own worst ride at diablo...
I have crashed down that same part. NOT fun...

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
my worst was a few tuesdays ago. fell off the wallride for a reason i have yet to understand.. i never have trouble on them..
then a few hours later hit doms denial with a little too much speed, couldnt slow down, hit a braking bump, over the bars, and into those trees to the right just before the berm. broken collar bone, torn ligament in my shoulder, and it cracked my helmet =[
i did the same damn thing on the wallride. i think that vortex on ripper reacts to the neutrons on your tires with induction which makes your tires repel off the wallride. and you slip and die. die hurts really bad. by dying i mean slap the back of my hand full force on the wallride making the tendons in my hand swell up retract and my wrist to sprain. my hand swoll up so much from that i walked down the rest of the mountain because i couldnt move my hand at all. but my worst ride was when i came back from that injury the day after the race and i was riding the jack and i flipped on th rockface in there and hit the big tree and hit my wrist again

spylab

Monkey
Feb 7, 2007
i nose cased the last dominion jump and went over my bars. fell on my wrist, and thought it wasnt anything bad, maybe just a sprain or a small break, then later that night im in surgery and was told ill be off my bike for probubly the whole season....
My brother Bobby (bobushka king) crashed on the last Dominion on Saturday. He doesn't remember it, but all signs point to him clearing the transition on the third table and nosing to flat. By the time my girlfriend and I got to him he was sitting up with his helmet off but going into shock.

I'd like to thank all the folks who checked on us and helped get a crew up to his aid. It took over 15 minutes for the truck to get to us (after having the top liftie call down for help and calling the Diablo office personally), but fortunately nothing was overly critical. Due to his blackout of the actual crash the EMT was obligated to give him a neck brace and strap him to the gurney. We ended up spending over six hours at St. Clare's in Sussex (which was not the most efficient establishment I've experienced, to say the least).

End result was a broken right wrist, sprained right elbow and shoulder and broken left thumb. I know Bobby would have loved to tell the tale himself, but right about now it would take him an eternity to type this. He, too, is out for the rest of the season. I'm sure he can safely say that Saturday was his worst Diablo day to date.

Oh yeah, and the impact blew the front fork out completely.

gfisher270

Monkey
Aug 23, 2008
NNJ
My worst run was when I tried to do the second wallride on Alpine and my tires skidded off and I slid down the wall on my arm and leg! It hurt!

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
mine has to be my us open run for 2007, bars rotated down makin my levers turn up then i hit a tree, smashed derialur, ended up taco-ing a fox 40, pedal broke.

idk how it all happened but w.e just bad luck i guess

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
ha i have a new worst, i went off course by doms denial and went into the bushes. at about 11:00 pm i realized i had poison ivy all over my body. and im extremely allergic.

E. Fleming

Chimp
Sep 25, 2001
NYC
1999 or 2000, cant really remember, but the place wasn't yet called Diablo... that was a few years later. first or 2nd run of the year in the spring time. riding a Turner DHR first generation with a hecka steep head angle. Had to run a 4" fork on it, cuz the big forks hadn't shipped yet, and I was anxious to ride. thing was so sketchy, even riding around in the parking lot. Phil Frangipane (sp?) took me and 3 teammates down what is now BMW trail.. Infact, i think it was called BMW back then too. Crashed over the bars on the second drop in, and ruined a brand new TLD carbon D2 lid. Oh my goodness, I was so sad that day.

bad andy

Chimp
Apr 14, 2003
My brother Bobby (bobushka king) crashed on the last Dominion on Saturday. He doesn't remember it, but all signs point to him clearing the transition on the third table and nosing to flat. By the time my girlfriend and I got to him he was sitting up with his helmet off but going into shock.

I'd like to thank all the folks who checked on us and helped get a crew up to his aid. It took over 15 minutes for the truck to get to us (after having the top liftie call down for help and calling the Diablo office personally), but fortunately nothing was overly critical. Due to his blackout of the actual crash the EMT was obligated to give him a neck brace and strap him to the gurney. We ended up spending over six hours at St. Clare's in Sussex (which was not the most efficient establishment I've experienced, to say the least).

End result was a broken right wrist, sprained right elbow and shoulder and broken left thumb. I know Bobby would have loved to tell the tale himself, but right about now it would take him an eternity to type this. He, too, is out for the rest of the season. I'm sure he can safely say that Saturday was his worst Diablo day to date.

Oh yeah, and the impact blew the front fork out completely.
I think myself and 2 friends came across you guys and his carnage right when you had gotten there. He definitely looked shook up - but good to know he's alright, for the most part that is. If it's one thing I think we all agree on, MED response at Diablo could be a tad bit faster :brow:

My worst so far - slamming the first wall on Alpine. You know... if you don't lean enough... that walls hurts! Dislocated pinky, fixed on the spot, "Lethal Weapon Mel Gibson" style. ;)

wayno05

Chimp
Dec 23, 2006
last year a bunch of us went there in late sept early oct. first run down we hit alpine and on the second wall ride my buddy slides aown hits the ground breaks his leg in three spots. not my worst but the worst i was apart of.