Quantcast

Worst Tires

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
ioscope said:
What are the worst tires you have ever ridden, heard of etc?

IRC xc
Panaracer fire xc
Geax blade
Others??
Tioga Psycho

Ritchey Z Max

Onza Porcupine

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
Hutchinson Octopus - no, seriously, I have been through 3 of these on the rear of my bike in the 4 months since I bought it - I'm only riding them because they were replaced by SG - the casings must be made of paper mache.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Tioga factory XC, it's probablly not the worst tire out there but it felt like it was worn 75% even though the knobs were nice and tall.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
irc kujos. specialized hardrock'r in red ummagumma. :dead: . i actually liked my psycho Ks back in the day.

addition: oh yeah, nokian gazzis are no good either. such hard rubber and poor sidewalls :dead: . they look nice tho :think: .

BRacing

Monkey
Feb 3, 2003
NorCal
jeez... I love my IRC Kujo's. I've been through boxes of Maxxis and WTB tires, and the Kujo's are the only one's I'll pay for. Even if my sponsor is someone else.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Psycho K's -- I think they make pencil erasers out of the same stuff
WTB Motoraptors -- like riding banana peels
WTB everything else -- weak
Nokians -- how can something so big have so little grip? Or such weak sidewalls?

What's wrong with the Fire XC? They have decent grip, okay sidewalls, as far as I can tell nothing wrong with 'em as far as XC tires go....

bushwacker

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
Norcal :/
IRC Mythos suck
Tioga Factory XC suck

I do like my Panaracer Fire XC, and also, my wire beaded WTB Motoraptors. I didn't like the Kevlar sidewall Motoraptors though, even though I rode them until the knobs were gone.

I had really bad luck and experience with Mythos front tires tearing or just washing out in ruts, but the rear tire is fine...a great tire for the money and a good tire overall.

I think I found dry weather Nirvana in the 2.4 Mutano, but they're hideous in a little mud or in deep powder dust.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
DßR said:
Psycho K's -- I think they make pencil erasers out of the same stuff
WTB Motoraptors -- like riding banana peels
WTB everything else -- weak
Nokians -- how can something so big have so little grip? Or such weak sidewalls?

What's wrong with the Fire XC? They have decent grip, okay sidewalls, as far as I can tell nothing wrong with 'em as far as XC tires go....
I really liked the Nokians even though the sidewall was very thin... I thinked they are so large and if you run them at the right pressure they stick like glue! but that is just my .2 cents

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
DBR X6 RIDER said:
Kenda Kinetics - they don't climb worth a **** on the trails. They are good on the street.
ill 2nd that
i have a 2.6 kenda kinetics that i won at a race and it is just total **** imo. doesnt corner good. never had one in the rear so dont know about climbing but the only thing i use it for is im not actually going riding anywhere. cause i just ride around on the streets and do a bit of urban. but if im actually going somewhere ill slap on a maxxis mobster.

DHGH

Chimp
Aug 31, 2004
WTB Velociraptor set...awful cornering grip on front, almost zero climbing tracking in back, not to mention the hardest tire to get on and off a rim I've ever encountered. Already starting to split at the knobs also after not too long.

willpowa

Chimp
Sep 6, 2004
Nokians= #1 worst tire: condom thin sidewall, sad traction..
Panaracer Cinders? Practical joke tire for the competetion :eviltongu
Love my HighRollers.

Pedalist

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Clayton, NC
Specialized Rockster 2.2. They came on my first cross country bike and caused enough phsycological damage that I actually had to ride with only a rear brake for a while so I could learn how to corner again!!

Vulcan

Chimp
Oct 24, 2004
by far the worst I have used are the stock tires on my 04 P1. They don't even grip well on the road, let alone mud or grass.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I hate Hutchinsons! Both the Pythons and the Octopus. I know the Pythons are super popular, but why I have NO idea. They wash out under ANY kind of cornering.

As far as all the Panarcer Fire XC bashing... they are great and the most popular tire for a reason. They work, wear well and are reasonably priced. I run them on the rear with a WTB Weirwolf upfront and love the combo.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Worst ever: Maxxis Mobsters. Thanks for helping me break my leg!

Best ever: Panaracer Smoke. I ran a set of these front AND rear waaay back when. (Back when rocks were soft). I never worried about them, they just kept holding on.
I really like the WTB Timberwolf I just put on the front of my DH9. Doesn't wash out at the slightest hint of a turn like the Mobsters do.