Quantcast

Would you drive 50 miles & pay $40 to ride @ a lift acessable bike park?

kev211

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
San Diago
Uh, the thread title says "Would you drive 50 miles & pay $40 to ride @ a lift acessable bike park?"

So yes, I think we are talking about a lift.
ok, even if there are lifts, doesnt mean there cant be riding like that on the way down. If there are lifts, without that, itd still be sick, but lifts are hard to get and IFF there arent lifts that could be a possiblity. Just a thought

smokeybear

Chimp
Mar 12, 2008
If it is comparable to Mammoth yes if not need to charge less than they do.

Q's
will there be a season pass? how slow are the lifts if I have to wait all day for a ride up then no just stick to local shuttle then would rather muster up and do the drive up 395 also 50 miles from where?

soulrider77

Chimp
Mar 12, 2008
RSM
I am taking a survey, to show to the marketing deparents of the local mountians in southern California, this is an attempt to sway the powers that be into buildinga bike park. This survey will help to deteime if a market exist to justify such a large undertaking.

Do you want a bike park in so cal?
yes

Is price a concern?
No
How far are you willing to drive to ride a sick bike park?
where ever. I drive to North star, Mammoth, Bootleg.

loosecannon

Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
San Diego
I'll drive up to 2 hours every weekend if there was a freeride park that close! Who needs a lift, I'll walk the sucker if I have to, just someone needs to fund and build it! Lots of late night beer drinking while camping, bonfires and bbqing, finished off with some sick riding all day! I'm game, put me in coach!

DirtDivaDH

Chimp
Oct 16, 2005
Beautiful Moorpark, CA
Seems like the mtn just N of LA that opened again for the first time in 5 years might be a good spot. 5 enthusiasts bought it to keep it from being plowed over and developed, the trails are double diamond so they should provide a pretty good base.
Which mountain is this? Are you talking about Castaic? This has always been open, but DH trails are quite a ways up the XC course.

DirtDivaDH

Chimp
Oct 16, 2005
Beautiful Moorpark, CA
HECK YES! We need a bike park here more than anywhere else. We have more bikers per capita than any place south of Whistler. The market is here. I drive to Mammoth, Northstar, Ashland, CO all summer. If there were I park here, I would gladly give my hard earned cash. I would pay up to $300 for a season pass, and drive 5 hours. Thing is, here it could be year round, unlike any other park in the world.

Alloy

Monkey
Aug 13, 2004
thousand oaks, ca
Upper Mt Baldy could be pretty sweet. Someone with good business sense should figure out how much of a "donation" the forest service needs to approve them for trail building.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
When you check out some of the other lift assisted parks in the U.S. you pretty much pay whatever their season's pass is and it seems most are $275-$400 which is cheap when you think about it for lift access. I know there are other MTB ideas where you have to drive that 20-50 mile range, shuttle, and still pay a $300+ fee to use the course. With Gas at $4/gallon these people need to take into consideration that $300 for just the ability to ride, plus the cost of gas is out of control. Depending on your ride it could cost anywhere between $20-40 in gas alone for shuttling and driving to/from the spot.

I'm all for lift assisted spots & the rates they charge aren't bad at all. But these places that keep popping up where you shuttle everything and charging an arm and leg, being far away sucks.

I know Bootleg is public, but think of how many people go there, where there DH trails are really fun, the road is easy to drive up/down. Any of these "shuttle" parks aren't nearly as long for runs when you take into some spots might have 10 minute runs where others are 3 minute runs. Somethings just don't add up.

rwilder

Chimp
May 8, 2008
Hollywood, CA
I'm in Hollywood. I'd pay and drive. When you say "2 hours", which direction?
Hell, I can't find ANY freeride trails around here. The only thing we have is "The Whoops". Most trails here are XC peddle fests. Booooo!
p.s.
Where are there any fun freeride/DJ/DH parks or trails in the LA area? Help a brother out!

lamp

Monkey
Mar 21, 2008
Someone get ahold of me, I work out there and would be down to help build

It's another ass tickler that pops up every summer. Remember the Mt Baldy park? "andrew shandro flew out to help with trail development"

EC and Vailocity is the best thing going right now. Steve the shuttle monkey says he is doing spring series racing after SRC winter series, NICE!