Quantcast

Would you ride at all without a helmet?

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Kevin said:
Right. Or actually I was just drunk and the word gay (which obviously doesnt refer to anyone's sexuality but is intended more as a figure of speach. But you allready knew that...) was the first thing to come to my mind after reading about a guy insisting on his friends not to ride a low-rider around the neigbourhood because they didnt have helmets....

Anyways, I still hate these kinds of threads. Let everyone else decide what to do or what "risks" to take. You wouldnt want to have anybody telling you to give up mountainbiking because in their opinion its a pointless risk now would you?
Looking at my initial post, I have no idea why I wrote that I "insisted" that we walk because we didn't all have helmets. That was not the case. Sorry for the confusion. I told my friends that I would absolutely not ride around the neighborhood without a helmet. My friends didn't want to ride around without me, so I suggested we all just take a walk instead. They begged me to go bike-riding but I refused without a helmet. (So we went for a walk.) They weren't outwardly upset with me, and we had a nice walk.

Thanks to everyone for your replies!

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Capt. Jack Sparrow said:
Looking at my initial post, I have no idea why I wrote that I "insisted" that we walk because we didn't all have helmets. That was not the case. Sorry for the confusion. I told my friends that I would absolutely not ride around the neighborhood without a helmet. My friends didn't want to ride around without me, so I suggested we all just take a walk instead. They begged me to go bike-riding but I refused without a helmet. (So we went for a walk.) They weren't outwardly upset with me, and we had a nice walk.

Thanks to everyone for your replies!

At least you're hot.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Don't know that it matters but yeah Capt Jack is a woman.

As for helmets, you are only taking a chance of hurting yourself, so it's different from say drinking and driving where you have a chance of hurting someone else. I say to each his own, if you don't care about your head then I don't either.

That said, the only reasons to leave your helmet at home all seem pretty stupid when you knock your noggin. Doesn't feel very cool (temperature or hip) when you can't remember your name...

Clark Kent

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Mpls
My son has to wear a helmet WHENEVER he is on a bike or board, but if I am on one of my old school typhoons or the like, going to the corner store or up the street to a park, I will go without a lid. I never ride without a helmet infront of the boy. Thats as idiotic as smoking infront of kids. :confused:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Clark Kent said:
My son has to wear a helmet WHENEVER he is on a bike or board, but if I am on one of my old school typhoons or the like, going to the corner store or up the street to a park, I will go without a lid. I never ride without a helmet infront of the boy. Thats as idiotic as smoking infront of kids. :confused:
Yeah this is a tough one. I don't have kids so I don't know. With helmets I like to believe that everyone can make their own choices, and in the end they would only hurt themselves. But the problem is that sometimes it hurts other people. So a kid (not yours) sees you without a helmet then figures he'll follow your example and doesn't need one either. Or a kid cracks his skull open and your favorite DJ spot gets closed.

I dunno, I start with the fact that the only reason NOT to wear a helmet is fashion, pure and simple. From there it's an easy call for me.