Quantcast

Would you? Upgrade or downgrade?

unskilled

Monkey
Jul 12, 2007
So I need a bit of help making a decision. I currently have an 05 Iron Horse 7point that is stock except a 888vf. Tires are beat, rear rim needs replaced. The fork is 200mm and is too tall so it is flip floppy(yes i know it was stupid, i was a travel whore when i bought it plus i was getting rid of a manitou stance 150). So the option is to buy a big hit from specialized for a very very cheap price. Its an 06. Spec comparison

IH 7point. 888, hayes 9 brakes, wtb wheels, prog 5th shock, sram x7

Big Hit FSR II o6 drop off triple, juicy 5, fox van r, sram x9.

What are your thoughts. Is the worth it to get a new bike all together (for 800!) or use the money to upgrade the iron horse with a 66 and some new tires/rims? Is the suspension of dw link that much better to stick with it?

The big hit has been to diablo 2 times and is pretty mint. Thanks for reading and replying.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Buy a reasonable fork, some new rubber, and rebuild your rear wheel. That'll give you a much better bike than the Bighit.

markhammond77

Monkey
Apr 6, 2007
I would go with a big hit man. It is being sold to you for a really cheap price and I have heard good things about it.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
i would say the going with the big hit would be a downgrade because the 7point design is much more modern. that said though i don't really like the way the the dw or vpp bikes ride. the fsr feels much more playful to me and i enjoy that much more as i like to flick the bike through the trail. its really personal preference.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I would go with a big hit man. It is being sold to you for a really cheap price and I have heard good things about it.
Why? The fork sucks. The shock isn't very good. The frame isn't anything special. About the only thing it has going for it over the 7Point is the X.9 drivetrain over the X.7 on the IH, but that's not really a hige difference.

unskilled

Monkey
Jul 12, 2007
i'm mostly worried about wheither or not the frame swap is a good idea. both are size large, either way i'm going to throw a 66 on it and other assorted goodies. The idea of getting the entire bike for 800 is what makes it such a hard choice wheither to do it or not. I chouldn't stand to have a drop off triple. I'd blow it up.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Just because it's cheap dosn't make it a good idea. Look at it this way- you can have a 7Point for free.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
I have a friend who is trying to get rid of his Big Hit, he's building a Faith (similar suspension to the DW link). He's ridden my Faith and can't wait to get his finished and get ride of the Big Hit.

Keep the IH, there's a reason its only $800, its not worth it.