Quantcast

Wow, first Mt Hood raced SUCKED!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It was still fun. :D I was not ready for an uphill climb on a DH course, let alone an uphill climb to the start gate. I hope the snow melts soon or this season is going to suck on Hood.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I said it was fun, I just didn't plan on pushing my bike to the start. The course was fun, I love that trail. I just use a lot less bike when I ride that trail. I raised my seat 2 inches for my second run so I could sit and pedal on the bottom. I would have been better off with something like a Hollowpoint.

I think my final time was 5:21. Sucked, but it was my first race and I placed 8th, so I'm happy. I also look frward to the rest of the season knowing that no matter what, they should be better.

elRey

Turbo Monkey
yeah, the climb to the start sucked, and then waiting at the top for an hour in the 50 degree weather didn't help anyone's results. Oh well, the actual course was fun. Definately a wake up call to get in better shape, even though I probably won't be pedaling that much on any other course this season.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Kevin and I thought it was great!:) Yes, the climb to the start gate was a pain, but if you were in good shape it wasn't that bad:dead:

We will be back for next years race for sure. It was great seen everyone again for the start of the season!

Great job to Ethan 'Mut' Mutoli and Miss Sara J, the pro winners:cool:

Best moment: having Sully show up for the race:) Still a super nice guy.

I must go rest......I'm sick and crashed so hard Friday and Saturday my legs are marbled like a side of beef.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I would like to see some pics as well. I know there was at least 5 shots of me by a few people. But knowing how much I was puffing, I'm sure they were some of the first to be deleted :D

I have been training, but I know now how much harder I need to train for the next race.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
It was a pretty good time. Not a real challenging course (which didn't keep me from taking a digger), but fun none-the-less.
There was a couple with kids where I crashed about 2/3 the way down. They said something about Willamette public TV. Wondering if anyone knows if this will make TV or be posted somwhere?

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
I had a great time. I sandbagged sport class since i didnt want to drop 60 bucks on a Norba Licsence that day. I hope Petr can maybe do an open non norba class. I dont think i will do more than one or 2 hood races.

I didnt mind the hike so much. The course was killer, not technical like ski bowl, but still had lots of flow... good for an early race.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Hey trailhacker, is this an action shot of your flat?

<edit> He got 2 shots of me. I should have hit the kicker to at least make the photo worth while. :D

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Judging by the dirt all over my leg I'm going to guess it was after I got up and finished.
For what ever reason the tire didn't even come off the bead? I was moving pretty good, keeping weight off the front tire - didn't want to ruin the rim. It even stuck pretty good in the corners!
jimmydean said:
Hey trailhacker, is this an action shot of your flat?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
trailhacker said:
Judging by the dirt all over my leg I'm going to guess it was after I got up and finished.
For what ever reason the tire didn't even come off the bead? I was moving pretty good, keeping weight off the front tire - didn't want to ruin the rim. It even stuck pretty good in the corners!
I didn't know you rode it flat, your a braver man than I.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
TWISTED said:
You guys should have came to Post Canyon Saturday. It had perfect conditions and was free.
We rode there all day on Friday:) I couldn't believe the trails were is such great shape:cool:

Mut

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
Renton, WA
That was a great first race. It was great to see everybody (including myself in Kim's shoe's!):wave: Great to see DY and son out there. Judging by DY's bike and his son's bike I can tell were the money goes! That little bike is sweet! Definatly a good first race of the season. Congrat's for everyone who came out to support the local scene:thumb: . Can't wait for the next one...

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
oly said:
I need to learn to keep my knees in when i corner...

Do i get a discount on ordering a photo since my head is cut off??

I think that's called "fashion photography". It's extra I'm sure :D

h22ekhatch

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
Portland
The news was saying it started snowing on Mt Hood again yesterday.

If the snow doesn't melt off the top by next race do they just hold the race on the lower bowl courses? Or are we going back to the pioneer bridle trail again?

I kinda hope we get stuck on the trail. Since this race I didn't get a practice run and didn't end up making the second race run I am kind of wanting vengance :)

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
Sucks b/c I missed out on this race, but I'm all about going to the rest of them. From the pics, the course looks pretty smooth. Does anyone know what kind of terrain I should expect from the future courses?