Quantcast

wow... what a bike

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Got my first real ride on the 575 today. The bike is amazing. It pedals better, tracks better, handles better, and is obviously smoother than my old bike by leaps and bounds. I've still got a long way to go before I get it dialed in correctly, but I already know that I made a great decision going with the 575.

I did about 9 miles - 2 loops on my favorite set of trails. Nothing too rough, but enough to learn a lot about the bike.

I did a couple of short but steep climbs, and a long, gradual climb. I cleaned both with surprising ease. The 5th really pedals well, even with all that travel. I was concerned about the short cockpit, but I had no problems keeping the front wheel grounded.

I also hit a short downhill. The suspension and the hopes really shined. It's very nice to have steady, consistant braking power, even in the wet and the slop.

I got into a few tight, rooty, technical sections and the bike handled great. I have to get used to all the extra travel, but the bike was surprisingly nimble, even at very low speeds.

I also got a better feel for the tires. They don't have much lateral traction, but they do have some. The lugs are pretty soft, so you have to keep your weight in the center of the bike... if you get too far back, the tires will slide on roots and wet rocks.

My only complaint is that I can't ride more often - even the motor was pretty decent.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
Jackson, I assume you posted pics and build info? Can you point me to it? Sorry...I have not been around the :monkey: much the last 4/5 days.
Sure... I'll bump a couple of threads for you - "the tale of two bikes" and "early 575 impressions". The buildup/specs are on my website - see my sig for the link.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Originally posted by stosh
Oh ok...

Hey did you do the build yourself or have a shop do it?
I had Victor @ Trailblazers install the headset, cut the steerer, and build the wheels. I didn't want to touch that steerer - with my luck I would have cut it an inch too short and would have been out a fork. He also did the bb/cranks because I didn't have the tools. I did the rest... bars, shifters, levers, rotors, calipers, derailleurs, cables, etc.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by jacksonpt
I had Victor @ Trailblazers install the headset, cut the steerer, and build the wheels. I didn't want to touch that steerer - with my luck I would have cut it an inch too short and would have been out a fork. He also did the bb/cranks because I didn't have the tools. I did the rest... bars, shifters, levers, rotors, calipers, derailleurs, cables, etc.

Are they Hyd brakes? Did you have to blead or anything?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by jacksonpt
Yes... they are hydraulics (Hopes). They came pre-bled.
Oh ok... yeah well so did mine but I need to re-run the line because it's kind of goofy. I'll probably end up having the shop do it.
Also my work stand if phucked! I was using it this weekend and the mechanism is busted so I'm not sure about bringing it for MBW. I'll see if Jeff has a stand.