Quantcast

Wrist Pain

R

RideMonkey

Anyone here that is keyboarding all day, and riding the rest of the time......... ever have wrist pain? Worried about the long terms effects of all the abuse?

:monkey:

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
I wear those lycra-like fingerless gloves that go all the way down your wrist.. I think it's supposed to improve circulation and keep the tendons warm and malleable.

Broke my right arm at the wrist twice and my left once, 10 years in restaurants opening wine, two years of accounting (damn 10 keys) and eons of computer typing have pretty well put the screws to the tendons and such. Sometimes, on road rides especially, I have to shake out my hands and do a little stretching to alleiviate the numbing tingles.

My advice is to take stretch breaks. Bend your fingers individually from the tips of your fingers back, but don't force anything. Also, try making fists (not hard) and alternately springing open your hands like you're trying to flick bugers off em. Wrist bends seem to help me as well. I place my hand flat on my desk or whatever and bend my arm forward as far as possible without pain. Just remember to always do the stretches when your muscles and tendons are warmed up and drink lots of fluids (beer works).

Hope that helps.

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
Originally posted by spincrazy
I wear those lycra-like fingerless gloves that go all the way down your wrist.. I think it's supposed to improve circulation and keep the tendons warm and malleable.

Broke my right arm at the wrist twice and my left once, 10 years in restaurants opening wine, two years of accounting (damn 10 keys) and eons of computer typing have pretty well put the screws to the tendons and such. Sometimes, on road rides especially, I have to shake out my hands and do a little stretching to alleiviate the numbing tingles.

My advice is to take stretch breaks. Bend your fingers individually from the tips of your fingers back, but don't force anything. Also, try making fists (not hard) and alternately springing open your hands like you're trying to flick bugers off em. Wrist bends seem to help me as well. I place my hand flat on my desk or whatever and bend my arm forward as far as possible without pain. Just remember to always do the stretches when your muscles and tendons are warmed up and drink lots of fluids (beer works).
Hope that helps.
Sounds like we go to the same doctor fo our Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. I live in near constant wrist & forearm pain. Take two Aleve every day, one in the a.m. & 1 in the p.m.. Amazingly riding my mtb doesn't bother it, the road bike is a different story.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Sorry RM...can't help you. I don't do a lot of tying at work. Mostly pointing and clicking. I hurt my wrist at the gym once. Damn near took forever for it to feel better.

When I first started this job, they gave me one of those ergonomic (sp?) mouses Acadian mentioned. I hated it.

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
pain occaisionally, I just hope it's from the biking and not the onset of carple tunnel...:eek:

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!
Originally posted by Acadian
yeah I do actually....got to keep my wrists in shape to keep up with my post rate! So I bough one of those gyro ball that you use to work your wrists! I have it at work...I can post the name tomorrow...but it works great and can prevent wrist injury!
Being a drummer, wrists are EXTREMELY important to care for. Those gyro-ball thingies work great! Highly recommended.
I remember seeing them available at Sharper Image...not sure if they're still there or not.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by -BB-
Are we all too mature?
NNNOOOOO!!!!

OK.. I'll do it.

How come your wrist hurts?
Been alone too much lately?
somebody's been spanking the monkey as well as riding it:rolleyes:

R

RideMonkey

Originally posted by BMXman

somebody's been spanking the monkey as well as riding it:rolleyes:
Hey I aint denying it. Ever see one of those fiddler crabs with one claw 10 times the size of the other? Well thats me.

KrusteeButt

Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by -BB-
Are we all too mature?
NNNOOOOO!!!!

OK.. I'll do it.

How come your wrist hurts?
Been alone too much lately?
Yeah, I was gonna go there...but Acadian mentioned the gyro thingy and that threw me off.
Besides....I thought the rumor was that monkey-spankin' strengthens the wrist, doesn't hurt it!

Maybe a little chaffing......

(oh geez, so I had to go there instead! :rolleyes: )

strakos

Official RM Complainer
Sep 10, 2001
3rd rock from the sun
Originally posted by ridemonkey

Hey I aint denying it. Ever see one of those fiddler crabs with one claw 10 times the size of the other? Well thats me.
I read an article the other day that talked about that species, only the males have that big claw, females have 2 small claws...the males fight against ech others, and when one of them loose they usually get their big claw ripped off...and here is the funny part...later, when the other males see that crab with no big claw...they thing it´s a female and try to 'violate' them.

Hey Acadian, what the hell are you supposed to do with those exercise balls?

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
i sprained mine a while back, and it starts to hurt every once in a while, is this normal/broke/messed up/sprained again?

KrusteeButt

Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by pat873401
i sprained mine a while back, and it starts to hurt every once in a while, is this normal/broke/messed up/sprained again?
Depends on how old you were when you sprained it, how badly you sprained it, and how much beating it takes on a regular basis.
If you were younger, it should've healed up easily...that is, unless it was a really bad sprain. If it was a really bad sprain then it's easy for pain to flare up again...especially if it gets beaten on a lot, like riding rough downhill on a consistent basis.
If it's recurring pain that keeps you from being able to get full extension one way or the other it could very well be tedonitis...nothing you can do about that other than ice it and let it rest.

ATXjimATX

the artist formerly known as OldDickDynamite
Oct 4, 2001
Austin, TEXAS
try moving your keyboard and mouse around a little whenever you think about it; to change the angles blah blah blah -- it can feel a little weird; but slight changes can make a difference with repetitive motion stuff...

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
It's back and worse than ever, i think i might go get an x-ray or something. Started to hurt again changing a Bottom Bracket.:(

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I broke the index finger of my right hand from a fall in early December but I didn't know it at the time. It hurt and was swollen but could be moved without pain. Earlier this month I began to have some serious wrist discomfort while griping the brake lever on my mtn bike (road levers = no pain) if I had to squeeze real hard the pain would go from my wrist up to my shoulder. Last week I couldn't take it anymore and went to the doc and had my wrist X-rayed - there is nothing wrong with my wrist at all. I had one fracture on the center finger bone and each knuckle joint has bone slivers that were sheered off somehow and are now fused in a way that causes a nerve to be pinched. Funny that my finger does not hurt at all but the wrist does whenever I squeeze anything or try to use scissors, wrenchs, pliers... there are so many things (besides monkey spanking) that you need your grip for.

The lesson for anyone who jams their finger up... get it checked out ASAP!!! I will have to have surgery to sever the nerve and and do something about the knuckles - if I don't my finger will eventually seize up.

Tenchiro saw the crash that jammed my finger up - it was NOTHING as far as crashes go. :dead: :angry: :dead:

Estimated cost to fix this problem? $4500.00...
Deductible for my major medical? $5000.00!!!

Take care of your digits dudes!!!