Quantcast

WRX Impressions

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
So all of you WRX owners how do you like them. I have realized that the Rover is not going to work in the long run, seeing that i get like 13mpg on Premium :dead: its killing me. Im thinking about getting a WRX wagon 03 or 04. so whats the low down on these things?

Fredzilla

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Seattle
ViolentVolante said:
So all of you WRX owners how do you like them. I have realized that the Rover is not going to work in the long run, seeing that i get like 13mpg on Premium :dead: its killing me. Im thinking about getting a WRX wagon 03 or 04. so whats the low down on these things?
Is there anything specific you'd like to know about it? I've had mine for over 2 years now and I love it.. keep in mind, I live in Seattle, so it hasn't seen the rigors of a true winter.

It's fast, it gets relatively good gas mileage, and (so far) it's been a pretty hassle free car to own... I have the sedan btw...

My wife drives an 03 Forester and we love that car too... lots of room. I had a Xterra when they first came out, and I swear we can fit more stuff into the Forester. If I had my choice, I'd probably spring for the new Forester XT - basically a WRX engine with a slightly different gearing ratio... vrrrooommm.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Happy said:
Is there anything specific you'd like to know about it? I've had mine for over 2 years now and I love it.. keep in mind, I live in Seattle, so it hasn't seen the rigors of a true winter.

It's fast, it gets relatively good gas mileage, and (so far) it's been a pretty hassle free car to own... I have the sedan btw...

My wife drives an 03 Forester and we love that car too... lots of room. I had a Xterra when they first came out, and I swear we can fit more stuff into the Forester. If I had my choice, I'd probably spring for the new Forester XT - basically a WRX engine with a slightly different gearing ratio... vrrrooommm.
The Forester XT sounds awesome. I have a Forester and love it. Tons of room, decent mileage, nice enough interior, very functional car. I drove it across the country this summer, all across the western US and on several hundred miles of dirt and gravel roads. Has been through a few vermont winters (not pretty) and has taken them great.

Sorry for the slight derailment. I've never driven a WRX so I can't comment. Based on my experience so far with Subaru, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
I owned a MY02 WRX Wgn from Aug 01-Aug 03. Personally, I thought it was a pretty fun car to drive. I had the 5 spd manual and almost everything was bone stock. Right from the start, the car experienced a couple of weird cpu problems and a handful of 'check engine light' issues but nothing really major. I don't think I ever got close to the claimed hwy mpg even w/o bikes on the car. I would average 21/22 I think.

The only things I really miss about the WRX (vs my current ride of a MY03 VW 20AE GTI) is the awd when going slideways at speed and the ability to hit some gravel/dirt roads (not like there are many here in lower NY). You learn to drive the WRX w/ careless abandon rather quickly. Drives to the grocery store become stages of a WRC and gravel roads or snow are an invitation to test your hand braking ability.

What don't I miss about the WRX?
1) The fact that everybody has them now! From high school Fast & Furious wannabees to grandmas who saw the 4-star reviews in Consumer Reports.
2) Fit/finish - The WRX (and even the STi) feel like econoboxes w/ a lot of nut and good handling. My 20AE feels tighter overall; from the interior to the exterior it feels like a base model Audi vs the premium Sube.
3) Wear/tear - After a year the Sube started feeling loose, the Dub feels as tight as day 1 after a year (especially in the interior and tire dept)
4) Bike racks - On the wagon if you use a fork mount rack you have to mount the rails to the factory luggage rack and then mount your bike racks backward to clear the tailgate. Not the biggest problem but looks hack imho.
5) Turbo lag - gotta keep the rpm's high or it'll bog down when you drop it. Get a guage so you know when you can punch it. Nothing like trying to pass a truck uphill and have have no go juice!

I'd recommend testing a Volvo V40, Passat or Audi A4 wagon before pulling the trigger on the WRX. All depends on your planned comfort level.

-ska todd

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Dont forget about the Saab 900 SE or 9-3. I wanted a WRX a lot awhile back but the high costs (for a college kid), lower gas mileage (for a car) and lack of space kept me away.

I ended up purchasing a Saab 900 SE hatchback wagon from 98. (2.0l Turbo)

It is just about as fast as a WRX (and for 500 bucks faster). It has more cubic feet in the back than a Suby Outback (when you removed the rears seats like I did). Is lighter than a WRX, gets FAR better gas millage, and mine is LOADED. (35k+ car)

Oh, and with 50k miles on it I picked it up with two sets of tires for 8000 bucks

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
ViolentVolante said:
thats the stuff im looking for, thanks guys. The GTI is also one of my cars on the list along with an audi wagon. but even if the wrx gets 22mpg its hella better than 13
If you are going GTI try to check out a used 20AE. 6 speed, tuned suspension, upgraded interior, 18's, exhaust...plus you can get a dh frame to match your car if you do :cool:

-ska todd

los jefes

Monkey
May 10, 2004
Asheville, NC
I have an '04 WRX wagon. We have had it just over a year (purchased in Aug of last year). It's got just over 30000 miles on it and is as rock solid as the day we got it. I guess they have fixed the "loose" feelings ska todd spoke of. The car is tight in all ways and has been driven super hard. We also looked at Audi wagon's and VW's but the cost of repairs and spotty reliability kept us away from the Audi and VW's have a horrible reputation for becoming really expensive repairwise after 80000 miles or so. The Saab 9-3 is $8000 more than the WRX if you want the 2.0 turbo engine and they need frequent work and are expensive to own (straight out of the local Saab/Subaru service managers mouth). We put 17" wheels and Z rated tires and kept the factory wheels and tires and trade them for winter/summer use. In all conditions the car is confidence inspiring and a blast, especially on gravel and snow. Just my two cents.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
The WRX's are good.
But the prob's I had were.....
Large feet are a problem... size 10 (UK sizing) Doc Martins don not fit on those pedals.
push down on 1 pedal and they can get traped underneath the others. Scary when your coming up on a hairpin turn at 170 kmph and your foot is jamed on the accelerator!!!!

Insurance for them (in New Zealand) is outrageously expensive due to high popularity with car conversions / gettaway car use, and the tendancy for them to crash when driven baddly at high speed by morons.

If your getting a second hand one make damm sure the clutch is ok (expensive to replace).

fuzzynutz

Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
Chicagoland
VV, what kind of Rover are you driving? I have a 95 Disco, that's still going strong, but when I moved out here, I gave it to my mom and picked up a 99 A4 quatro. Saves me tons of greenbacks. I say look for a used audi. Service is free on new audis, so almost all used audis are still in mint condition. They get great gas mileage, are super comfortable, and drive great.

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
JRogers said:
The Forester XT sounds awesome. I have a Forester and love it. Tons of room, decent mileage, nice enough interior, very functional car. I drove it across the country this summer, all across the western US and on several hundred miles of dirt and gravel roads. Has been through a few vermont winters (not pretty) and has taken them great.

Sorry for the slight derailment. I've never driven a WRX so I can't comment. Based on my experience so far with Subaru, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.
My fiance has the Forester XT - it's a rocket ship. Few things are more fun than pulling up next to some little punk in a ghetto-fied Eclipse at a stop light, and handing his @ss to him once the light turns - all while driving a tame looking car. :)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
fuzzynutz said:
<snip>They get great gas mileage, are super comfortable, and drive great.
Hmmm... are they getting better mileage than they used to? I had an '85 4000S Quattro and it got decent mileage (~25mpg) but it sure would've been nice if they got really good (>30mpg) mileage.

I think as a population we're getting lulled into thinking that 20mpg is good mileage.

It isn't. Ask most Europeans.

-S.S.-

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
s1ngletrack said:
My fiance has the Forester XT - it's a rocket ship. Few things are more fun than pulling up next to some little punk in a ghetto-fied Eclipse at a stop light, and handing his @ss to him once the light turns - all while driving a tame looking car. :)
I've got a buddy with an Outback XT. That thing likes to *pulllll* when it hits the sweet rev-spot. Fun fun.

-S.S.-

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
narlus said:
i'm digging the 35 mpg my honda's delivering.
My Saturn Honda Vue V6 (The 2004 V6 Vue has honda V6, honda tranny, and honda ECU) FWD gets 20mpg city, 28 mpg highway (I've regularly gotten 30-32 mpg on purely highway driving before), ULEV2, 3500 lbs. class III towing capacity, takes regular, gets 10HP more than the Honda Pilot with the same engine and weighs 1200+lbs less. It also does 0-60 in 6.6 (AWD 0-60 in 6.9) and has class leading braking at 120s ft., and .81g skidpad. It only comes in 5-speed auto, but it was faster than the auto Forester XT I was considering plus cheaper and had a better drivetrain - definately like this wagon. I just got some free Eibach springs to lower the ground clearance to 6" and stiffen up the ride since its really a wagon anyways...

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
syadasti said:
My Saturn Honda Vue V6 (honda V6, honda tranny, and honda ECU) FWD gets 20mpg city, 28 mpg highway (I've regularly gotten 30-32 mpg on purely highway driving before), ULEV2, 3500 lbs. class III towing capacity, takes regular, gets 10HP more than the Honda Pilot with the same engine and weighs 1200+lbs less. It also does 0-60 in 6.6 (AWD 0-60 in 6.9) and has class leading braking at 120s ft., and .81g skidpad. It only comes in 5-speed auto, but it was faster than the auto Forester XT I was considering plus cheaper and had a better drivetrain - definately like this wagon. I just got some free Eibach springs to lower the ground clearance to 6" and stiffen up the ride since its really a wagon anyways...
That's curious, since Subaru claims that the Forester XT is the second fastest SUV (though I'm not sure I'd call it that) on the market - second only to the Cayenne.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
s1ngletrack said:
That's curious, since Subaru claims that the Forester XT is the second fastest SUV (though I'm not sure I'd call it that) on the market - second only to the Cayenne.
The auto isn't as fast the manual, pay more attention next time...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
s1ngletrack said:
Just found the specs from a database

2004 Vue V6 AWD 04 0-60 7 sec. Quarter 15.5
2005 Subbie XT Auto 05 0-60 7.1 sec. Quarter 15.6

I have seen track numbers by vue owners with similiar times to the quicker ones claimed, but I think its kinda silly - I just got mine cause its an all around good package for the money and it has a honda drivetrain.

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
syadasti said:
Just found the specs from a database

2004 Vue V6 AWD 04 0-60 7 sec. Quarter 15.5
2005 Subbie XT Auto 05 0-60 7.1 sec. Quarter 15.6

I have seen track numbers by vue owners with similiar times to the quicker ones claimed, but I think its kinda silly - I just got mine cause its an all around good package for the money and it has a honda drivetrain.
Yeah - we looked at the Vue too when we were looking for a car for her - I didn't realize that they had a Honda drivetrain - pretty impressive. We didn't look too closely at them just because the GF's parents have a Saturn and she doesn't like it for some reason.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
s1ngletrack said:
Yeah - we looked at the Vue too when we were looking for a car for her - I didn't realize that they had a Honda drivetrain - pretty impressive. We didn't look too closely at them just because the GF's parents have a Saturn and she doesn't like it for some reason.
I didn't even consider it until I found out about the Honda drivetrain and redesigned interior - I was going to get an 04 Forester XT Auto and had even filled out some paperwork for the IMBA discount but then decided to check out the Vue V6 after reading about the changes.

The earlier models had no appeal whatsoever to me.

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
The no hagle price thing with saturn really turns me off. A VUE redline loaded is $30,000. you can get a Chevy Equinox for $3,000 less sticker then hagle and get some special financing. and make that bay almot $5000 less.

I really like the VUE but the price is a little high for it.

I won't drive it anyway I have a Crystal Gray STI on order

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Hawkeye said:
The no hagle price thing with saturn really turns me off. A VUE redline loaded is $30,000. you can get a Chevy Equinox for $3,000 less sticker then hagle and get some special financing. and make that bay almot $5000 less.

I really like the VUE but the price is a little high for it.
Mine was about 24K after taxes with 17" wheels, leather, heated seats, CD player, etc and I bought my last October when they first came out - I could have gotten it cheap if I bought it later in the year obviously.

Equinox has a crappy chinese GM V6 engine. Only other GM engine equal or better V6 drivetrain is found in the Cadillac SRX and that definately isn't worth the money...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
one word....

Quattro!

that is, if you like vacuum lines :D. Seriously, this car is the ****, and as the WRX is basically an updated version of the same car, I would recommend it. There is nothing like the feeling of being sucked back into your seat when the car hits 4000....and it just goes up from there.

That being said, the new audis are nice. My friend just bought an 2000 a6 and it had a nice ride. The newer A4s look really nice.

If wagons are really your thing, then go for it...but I say stick with a sedan. Don't get the saab 92x because it's just a rebadged subaru (saabaru). They changed the headlights, badging, removed metal from the suspension and replaced it with plastic, and upgraded the interior. You'd be looking at a wrx that was dumbed down for the road, with more compliant suspension, more weight, and more comfort.

I love the lines of the wrx now that they've dropped the eyeball lights.

Attachments

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
it is...it's one of the earlier ones, god knows how many are left. Everybody qoutes all different numbers. It is ridiculously fun, unique, and quirky. I think that may be why I like it so much, there is so much on this car that sets it apart from all the others...5cyl, turbo, awd, longitudinal engine, and the looks are agressive and utilitarian at the same time. I really wanted an Italian car, but they aren't too popular over here.

Anyways...i encourage you to spend a lot of time researching them before you commit. There are so many weird things about the car that I thought I knew before I bought it, and now that I own it, there are even more. simple things you wouldn't really expect, and I bought one of the good ones.

I just can't wait for the snow :-D :drool:

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I know it's like reccomending a giant iguana to suggest but why not just get a honda or toyota. If you're looking for a sedan you can get arguably better reliability, better gas mileage, your tires and brakes will last longer and you'll run less of a risk of wrapping yourself around a telephone pole because you won't be driving as fast or hard. Then again I live in sunny SoCal where the roads are always pleasant and even if I wanted to go faster the traffic on freeways is always jammed up. I do like the idea of a saturn vue though. I didn't realize they were considered a performance vehicle, I know my SL2 sure isn't and talk about burning oil...