Quantcast

WTB Dissent 2.3 Feedback?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
The Maxxis Advantage 2.4s on my all-mountain rig need to be replaced. Wasn't super impressed with them - they were predictable when cornering, but didn't have great edge cornering grip and didn't hold well in the loose.

Thinking about trying the race version of the Dissent 2.3's. Does anyone with some trail time on them have feedback? I'm riding around northern California. Lots of hardpack and loose dry stuff in the summer and wet clay and loam in the winter.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
yeah i ran them for 3 months before i had to take them off. roll fast brake well in straight lines. some how the side knobs just don't hook up when you need them. lean it past the angle of the top of the side knobs and they just slide. went back to the tried and minion F/high roller R. i was thinking about a set of geax nuerons (?) looks like a cheaper minion DHF

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Minion 2.5 Single plys at 890g. They are awesome and can be run in the low 30psi range. I buy mine through MerlinCylces overseas. Ive never had a problem.

My buddy ran the older Dissent and liked them in the dry, but hated them in the wet. The newer Dissent is suppose to have solved this though.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Minion 2.5 Single plys at 890g. They are awesome and can be run in the low 30psi range. I buy mine through MerlinCylces overseas. Ive never had a problem.
I really wish they made these in a different durometer. I haven't been impressed with Maxxis 60 duro rubber.

ashmtnadv

Chimp
Mar 6, 2008
Ashland Or.
O.K. I 've been riding and testing every version of this tire for 2 seasons now and have worn out 3 sets on 2 different bikes. All Mountain, Specialized enduro with both there race and FR and Specialized Trail SX with both the 2.5 and 2.3 dh.
I ride these primarily on Mt Ashland but have also riden them in San Luis Obispo, Kernville and all over the Monteray area, so I've covered alot of different dirt with these tires. The 2.3 in any of the different casings is an awesome hard pac tire, if you need more than this on hard pack, you need to work on your skills! It does however tend to float a bit in deep loam or high mountain pumice type dirt. It is not a great wet weather tire! No big block knob is...duh! I've always prefered the Weirwolf up front if there's going to be varying terrain.
As for the 2.5 I've improvised by removing the 3rd knob from the outer row of knobs to open the channel, but WTB has fixed this for 2010.
There is also many new duel compound options for 2010 for most all the different designs.
If your riding Nor Cal and you ride in lots of rocks you'll want the FR to avoind pinch or cuts if your tubless and ride really hard, if not go with the race and save 150grams.
Hope this helps,
happy trails!

Last edited:
May 12, 2005
roanoke va
This was the 2.3s? Damn...I thought the side channels in the 2.3 solved the cornering issues of the 2.5s.
it was 2.3.
I'd slid out both wheels at once pretty consistently in damp hard cornering and occasionally when really pushing it in the dry. put the minion/HR combo back on and rode in similar conditions/speeds and had no issues. other then that it was a good tire. had them on my 06 kona howler.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Weirwolf for dry/sandy/loose. Was great when I lived in Reno and road NorCal.
Timberwolf for wet/loam/maybe clay (not ridden clay).

Not ridden the 2.3 Dissent, but would guess it's middle of the road between the above two, possibly not as good as either in their respective conditions.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

It sounds like the Dissent 2.3 will be a good tire for Marin/East Bay trails when it's dry (hardpack/loose over hardpack). I'm going to grab a set to try and just run something else for wet days.

I really wish Maxxis would do the Minion/High Roller tread patterns in 3C 2.4, both dual ply and single ply.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
O.K. I 've been riding and testing every version of this tire for 2 seasons now and have worn out 3 sets on 2 different bikes. All Mountain, Specialized enduro with both there race and FR and Specialized Trail SX with both the 2.5 and 2.3 dh.
I ride these primarily on Mt Ashland
happy trails!
Bill, what are your impressions of the Prowler SS? Have you ran them here? I'm looking for a different tire set up for my 6 inch bike...

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
I have the Dissent 2.3 on the front right now, it became pretty darn good as soon as i deepened the sipe on EVERY knob on the tire. Now there is a bit more flex on those big knobs. I just took a large pair of dykes and clipped em deeper. really easy.

Last edited:

ashmtnadv

Chimp
Mar 6, 2008
Ashland Or.
That tire is going away for 2010. I used it on the rear of my Super D set up as the knob coverage of the carcass kept me from cutting down on the rock sections. It cornered fine for a rear tire, never tried it up front. It was designed for slope style riding.
If your setting up your Sixer and want to run WTB, wait for the New 2.3 Weirwolf for the front and a 2.3 Descent for the rear. I love this combo!
And yes if it's wet and you have the Descent up front it will push.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
That tire is going away for 2010. I used it on the rear of my Super D set up as the knob coverage of the carcass kept me from cutting down on the rock sections. It cornered fine for a rear tire, never tried it up front. It was designed for slope style riding.
If your setting up your Sixer and want to run WTB, wait for the New 2.3 Weirwolf for the front and a 2.3 Descent for the rear. I love this combo!
And yes if it's wet and you have the Descent up front it will push.
Thanks for the info. I was thinking of doing the SS front and rear actually since it looks like a fast roller with good side bite. We've got a pair of 2.5 Prowler MX's I might run instead as they've been on the shelf for a while...

rinseflow

Chimp
May 26, 2009
Finland
I just took a large pair of dykes and clipped em deeper. really easy.
A new boy here planning to cut his Dissent to a Minion or something, but.. a large pair of dykes? :D Wtf? I probably know the word dyke as something completely different than is the meaning here. So what shall I cut with? Care to illustrate?

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
These....

I thought about doing even more work and making L shaped side knobs like a Minion but it's working pretty well now.

rinseflow

Chimp
May 26, 2009
Finland
How much does opening those sipes make it better when laying the bike down? I'm thinking about doing the L-knobs maybe so that the L opens to the side reversing them compared to Minions. Where I ride I need more bite on the edge of the tyre and maybe this would do it. Mine is a 2.5" if that makes any difference.

rinseflow

Chimp
May 26, 2009
Finland
Why not just run Minions?
Because I got them both and I do run the skinny 2.35" Minions at the moment on one bike. Tirejunkie is my name, cutting up a Dissent my new game. Besides I'll be getting a 2.5" Minion of sorts for nothing by mutilating the Dissent. :thumb:

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Kanter, the 2.3 Dissent is a true 2.3, 50 durometer as opposed to the Minion's 2.1" wide 60d, or 42d but the 42d is a wire bead at 800-850g. These are coming in at 860g, so it's a solid midweight option, and kinda looks like a Minion! It also sets up tubeless like a champ, smooth edge, airtight sidewall. It's just a bit blocky and stiff in comparisin, hence a little syping/ trimming.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
How much does opening those sipes make it better when laying the bike down? I'm thinking about doing the L-knobs maybe so that the L opens to the side reversing them compared to Minions. Where I ride I need more bite on the edge of the tyre and maybe this would do it. Mine is a 2.5" if that makes any difference.

When the tire was stock i could lay the bike over on the pavement like a Nevegal with little squirm, telling me it's not gonna hook upon loose dirt, etc. After the full siping it makes some noise when layed over and flexes some, but not super squirmy or dangerous feeling. It seems to hook up well on hardpack, and on rock, loose dirt is good too. Still not quite like a Minion 2.5 but it is more round and rolls better.

Try it siped, then do the L knob on every other side knob and tell me how it is!

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Kanter, the 2.3 Dissent is a true 2.3, 50 durometer as opposed to the Minion's 2.1" wide 60d, or 42d but the 42d is a wire bead at 800-850g. These are coming in at 860g, so it's a solid midweight option, and kinda looks like a Minion! It also sets up tubeless like a champ, smooth edge, airtight sidewall. It's just a bit blocky and stiff in comparisin, hence a little syping/ trimming.
Why not just order a set of single ply 2.5 Minions from overseas at 880-890g? They are super cheap even with shipping. I guess the only downside is they are 60D. Rumor has it that the single ply 2.5 Minion is going through some changes. I love my single ply Minion 2.5s. I can run them around 30psi with Maxxis Ultra Lite tubes and no problems. They could be set up tubless.

Last edited: