Quantcast

WTF is this thing (2018 Boxxer team question)

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I've got a 2018 boxxer team for which I've done many lowers services in the past. At the start of this season I sent it off for a full rebuild at a good shop and it ran well most of the year. I was doing a lowers service (first since the rebuild) and this thing (see pic) was crammed down at the bottom of the spring side lowers. I'd not have known it was there except that I could not thread the foot nut into the damper rod because it was in the way. I've never seen this thing in my life. The outer diameter seems to be very nearly the inner diameter of the lowers FWIW. Just to see, I put the fork back together and it seems decent but not quite normal smoothness for a recent lowers service. It also makes a squelching noise as I cycle it in the driveway. Any ideas?
IMG_0935.jpeg

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
So I have one more conical bumper that is very clearly a bottom out bumper (its a tiny version of what I've got on my truck)--it fits around the rod on the damper side (and there is only one in the exploded diagram). It's right next do the rebound knob in the picture on the left.
conical bottom out bumper.jpeg

This thing is different than that. I should mention I can't find this mystery ring anywhere in the exploded diagram .

But if you're saying "ram that fucking thing into the bottom of the lower leg" I can do that if that's the consensus.

Edit: I see pics of this thing when I google "bottom out bumper" but seems only for 2010-2015 forks at least where years are specified. Anyone know if the later boxxers have them too?

Last edited:

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
So I have one more conical bumper that is very clearly a bottom out bumper (its a tiny version of what I've got on my truck)--it fits around the rod on the damper side (and there is only one in the exploded diagram). It's right next do the rebound knob in the picture on the left.View attachment 164137

This thing is different than that. I should mention I can't find this mystery ring anywhere in the exploded diagram .

But if you're saying "ram that fucking thing into the bottom of the lower leg" I can do that if that's the consensus.

Edit: I see pics of this thing when I google "bottom out bumper" but seems only for 2010-2015 forks at least where years are specified. Anyone know if the later boxxers have them too?
Those stop the stancions from ever contacting the bottom of the lowers...... and mushrooming and then never coming back out. ....

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
They dampen really well...I took a couple and used them for a spacer on my welding table to isolate vibration from a tool box and a bench grinder...

But yeah as stated they keep contact from happening full contact of stanchions to lowers...
Remove em throw them in box and eventually a use will pop up....