Quantcast

Wtf?

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The overall mental health of U.S. soldiers in Iraq has improved from the early months of the insurgency, with a significant drop in suicides, but a majority still say morale is low, the Army said Wednesday.

NOTE: A significant drop in suicides.

I wasnt aware that a good amount of our boys were offing themselves.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
golgiaparatus said:

lots of people aren't aware of this.

they don't want to report that type of stuff, they want america to think the soldiers are having a good time and making great changes.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
golgiaparatus said:
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The overall mental health of U.S. soldiers in Iraq has improved from the early months of the insurgency, with a significant drop in suicides, but a majority still say morale is low, the Army said Wednesday.

NOTE: A significant drop in suicides.

Something like a third of the troops are suffering from various levels of PTSD, but only 10% seek help.

J

JRB

Didn't you learn to not start threads with "WTF" in the title???

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
We have family friends that have a son over there. 2nd lieutenant in resupply or some such. He said of his 50 men in his platoon, he lost 6 to suicide. Six.

And we wonder why we need to get the hell out of there.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
My cousin's out there with the Marines. He seems to be doing alright so far, says they have AC in their barracks, TV/DVD for their off time, etc... He says the only really scary part is when they go on patrol at the mayor's office, police station or through bad areas of the town. (Fallujah).

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
robdamanii said:
We have family friends that have a son over there. 2nd lieutenant in resupply or some such. He said of his 50 men in his platoon, he lost 6 to suicide. Six.

And we wonder why we need to get the hell out of there.

:eek: OMG! Thats horrible. 12% are offing themselves!

Not to take away from the tragedy here, but it would be interesting to paralel these numbers with those of the civilian suicide rates of the same age group.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
loco said:
Ridemonkey threatened to kill us last year for it. Golgi was here for it.
Top 3 WTF threads...

"Dudes Wearing Girl Pants... WTF?" By N8 - 288 posts

"2004 RM Asshat awards (WTF)" by Ridemonkey - 118 posts

"WTF!!!! of all the stupid sh......" by SebringMGB - 75

Sorry about the derail...

J

JRB

Ciaran said:
Top 3 WTF threads...

"Dudes Wearing Girl Pants... WTF?" By N8 - 288 posts

"2004 RM Asshat awards (WTF)" by Ridemonkey - 118 posts

"WTF!!!! of all the stupid sh......" by SebringMGB - 75

Sorry about the derail...
Shouldn't they all be Top 3???

*ridemonkey should start a wtf thread in the news section about not posting stupid crap. That would be funny.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
loco said:
Shouldn't they all be Top 3???

*ridemonkey should start a wtf thread in the news section about not posting stupid crap. That would be funny.
There were more than 3 WTF threads... didn't you follow your own link? Those are the top 3 out of the 3 pages of WTF threads that came up.

J

JRB

Ciaran said:
There were more than 3 WTF threads... didn't you follow your own link? Those are the top 3 out of the 3 pages of WTF threads that came up.
I meant that they are all quality enough to be.

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
My brother, who just got back, casually mentioned watching Iraqi policemen tie up an insurgent and drag him through the streets behind a vehicle. He also had the pleasure of nearly burning alive when his Bradley hit an IED and flipped, knocking him and 5 others unconscious, fortunately he was able to get someone's attention by yelling (he was pinned beneath another unconscious soldier), and they were able to get all 6 out of the vehicle before it was too late. My brother came away with only minor physical injuries, but some of the others weren't so lucky.

That place is a f***ing mess, I wish there was a simple solution.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I hadn't heard anyhting about suicides. One of my frineds was home on leave for the last two weeks and had some interesting things to say about the war, including that at least one member of his unit went AWOL while on leave in the US. Number one is that he said it isn't a war from a danger/casualty perspective. WW II was a "real war" according to him. He did say that the insurgency is helping moral. He said that the Iraqi soldiers "are a bunch of p***ies" but that the insurgency is changing that- they are realizing that freedom isn't free and that it is paid for in blood. It really pisses them off that foreign terrorists are going after native Iraqies and not the Americans. I had assumed that Iraqi recruitment numbers were way off, but he said that is not the case.

He also said that military mail isn't inspected and that we should send them alchohol (nips are preferable) and anything else.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
COmtbiker12 said:
My cousin's out there with the Marines. He seems to be doing alright so far, says they have AC in their barracks, TV/DVD for their off time, etc... He says the only really scary part is when they go on patrol at the mayor's office, police station or through bad areas of the town. (Fallujah).
My buddy said tghe same thing- the scarriest part of his day is when he drives by recruiting lines. He's a .50 gunner on a Hummer.