Quantcast

X-Fusion Delta8 downhill fork prototype

EM-EFER

Monkey
May 29, 2007
the 2:1 does have a completely different feel than the older Mono's. i had a 2000 DHS mono w/ a avy on it and it performed great. as much as i like my new 2:1, i have to say that im not totally impressed with the Curnutt. it is great to have a long stroke, but the smoothness of the shock and the way it feels is totally opposite from anything else ive ever ridden. id prefer to have another avy on it, but no one else makes a 5"stroke shock for bikes.
the bb is extremely low and having 170mm cranks is the wrong idea...
the problem with your XTD is the design of the shock/fork itself. I had a F1 fork and it performed flawlessly over small bumps, but that was a different design than the current Curnutt design.

I was under the impression that the bottom bracket is really high. What is the sag on your bike. The height is 14.9.

deadatbirth

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
In a van down by the river
i have about 1 3/4" of sag measured from the shocks eye to eye. they recommend 1 1/2" but i feel that its still a little too firm for my liking. 14.9" is relatively high for a bb height, but when i first got the bike i destroyed my cranks going through rock gardens before i learned how to deal with it.

EM-EFER

Monkey
May 29, 2007
i have about 1 3/4" of sag measured from the shocks eye to eye. they recommend 1 1/2" but i feel that its still a little too firm for my liking. 14.9" is relatively high for a bb height, but when i first got the bike i destroyed my cranks going through rock gardens before i learned how to deal with it.
At the last race, do you mind if I give your bike a rip?

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I test rode a Bionicon at a demo.
I was impressed with the fork, seems to be the same one you are testing. It was super plush, but I didn't take it for a trail ride, just a parking lot test. I was impressed, as I don't care for air forks.

A local rider also built a Foes 2:1 with the F1 fork...not long after, he got rid of it for a Fox 40.
The Curnutt's always felt dead to me, and that clunking sound is aggravating.

posthole

Chimp
Oct 31, 2007
Ridgecrest, CA
To be honest, I think you're overestimating some of these products.

Bionicon? Yeah...I just demoed one last week. Sorry to say, their suspension is quite a bit behind the times. Again, it isn't crap, but it isn't that great either. A combination of pivot points and only one kind of shock kind if limits the capability. I rode an 8" whatever-the-DH-bike is called, and my turner 6 pack felt like it had more travel, and my 6 pack definitely had more traction in turns. The fork is pretty archaic, at moderate speed ranges when weighted it worked ok, but at other speed ranges it did not and got very harsh. It doesn't have a low and high speed damping circut, and the rep told me that high speed damping duties were handled by a spring (it's air-damped). In any case, both ends of the bike, the rear shock and fork, were far behind marzocchi, rockshox, and manitou. Due to Bionicon's choice of adjustable travel, there isn't a whole lot they can do, but the new oil-damping cart for their forks may help a great deal, at least get shimmed-damping on both ends of the bikes.

Unfortunately, bionicon was exactly what I thought it would be, people are blown away by the travel adjust (that I didn't care for that much because it made me feel like I was trying to ride INTO the hill instead of up it) but the suspension is totally lackluster and subpar compared to what you can get on other bikes.
Jm,

Thanks for coming out and taking the Ironwood out for a quick ride before dark. I appreciate you giving the Special Agent and the IW the benefit of the doubt in your observation after a demo ride. The next time I am in AZ, I hope that you will try the fork again with the new oil dampening to give it a good comparison. On that ride, you need to let me to make adjustments while we are on the trail. With the sun setting so quickly, we were a bit rushed last time to even get that small ride in. A few lbs of pressure really goes a long way to make the fork feel better. For example, if I run the Double Agent, 150mm fork, at 70lbs vs. 65lbs it feels too stiff and the small bump compliance decreases.

Regarding the sensation of riding "into the hill instead of up it," this is a common feeling on the IW because of the huge about of geometry change from "uphill" to "downhill" position. There are about 7degrees of change in the head and seat tube angles, along with a shortening wheelbase, and the bottom bracket height staying in place. The system was designed to be adjustable throughout the range so the rider can find the balance point for the slope of the hill that is being climbed. Unfortunately, there wasn't a point on that ride that really justified the full "uphill" position. After several rides, and up to a week of riding, most Bionicon owners report that adjusting the geometry to the given trail becomes "instinctive," and you could not be expected to learn that control after a 45 min ride.

There are a lot of great forks on the market, but we are focusing on making a suspension system that works well for the majority of riders which allows them to ride in a more comfortable position on the climbs, and increase there confidence on the DH. We admit, there are not a lot of knobs to twist, but they feel pretty darn good!

Ride well, and I look forward to my next trip to AZ. It is great this time of year!

deadatbirth

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
In a van down by the river
A local rider also built a Foes 2:1 with the F1 fork...not long after, he got rid of it for a Fox 40.
The Curnutt's always felt dead to me, and that clunking sound is aggravating.
id trade my 40 for a Curnutt fork any day. ive never been happy with it even w/ the Ti springs it.
but if it feels like my rear shock, than i would like it...they do feel dead compared to other shocks.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Just wanted to dig this thread back up and see what the prognosis so far is?? I'm in the market for a DC and not all that excited about what's currently out there right now.
There's a lot of REALLY nice "looking" forks out right now, but not a lot of info on them. The Techin's look uber purty, can't read Jap(and haven't Googled em yet to see if there's a US distributor yet), White Bros look like the should come packaged in a Tuxedo, don't know much more about them, and these X-Fusions keep popping up enough to peak my interest.
New words?

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
I don't think you will get many replies as I do not think they are on general sale as of yet are they. The ones we have had all work fine though the damping on some are not as good as on some out and out DH forks. Though they are much lighter than most forks. I think there more aimed at people who ride up hills to ride down them and not people who just race downhill. Though if they work a bit more on the damper i think it could be great for both.

nmr8

Monkey
Apr 6, 2007
proprietary hubs = SUCKS. Goddamit there are standards for a reason!

the bike industry truly is the retarded uncool cousin that nobody talks to at family functions.
that hub and axle look like an amazing design, evolution happens.

Winger

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
The delta 8 has been removed from our product line from here on out. We will continue with warranty and servicing the forks. X fusion has bigger goals and is working very hard right now to develop a complete high end suspension line. interbike should be very big for us. 2-3 new products will be launched. stay focused on our athletes because some of the new projects may be mounted to their bikes during the season. So to sum it all up, the Delta 8 is no longer available from X-Fusion USA
sorry for the news if you were interested in the fork, but please be sure to pay attention to us in the near future
thanks

-John Hauer
X-Fusion USA