Quantcast

X-Fusion Vector DH2 Review

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
Here's a quick write-up of the X-Fusion Vector DH2 rear shock for ya'll.

First impression:
Holding the DH2 in one hand and my no-longer-working 5th Element I have in the other, I could instantly tell that the DH2 was lighter than the 5th. Not that 5ths are renowned for being lightweight, but even with the same weight steel spring (450#), the X-Fusion weighed a ton less. And it looks pretty cool, too.

Dealing with X-Fusion:
I called X-Fusion originally just to get the hardware sizes I needed so I could order everything. After finding out what hardware sizes I needed (8x22mm is what you need for the VP-Free, FYI), I got transferred to the sales department, and they took care of me right there. I talked to John, and he hooked me up with the hardware I needed for $10 shipped. I ordered everything Tuesday afternoon from X-Fusion in California, and had it on my doorstep in Montana by Friday morning. Everyone I talked to there was friendly. It was awesome dealing with these guys - you can't beat that in a company.

Bike/Shock Setup:
SC VP-Free, Boxxer World Cup, X-9/Holzfeller/Juicy 7/shiny stuff. She's probably sitting around 41-42 lbs with thicker tubes. And for reference, I'm about 175 lbs with gear.

X-Fusion Vector DH2, 450# steel spring - Rebound is 4 clicks in from full open, compression 2 clicks in, and 140 psi in the chamber (120-180 is the range on the shock, although you can run lower pressures according to a guy I chatted with at X-Fusion). The spring is about 1 full turn past where the collar first engages the spring - so just a little bit of preload. Sag is right around 30%

The Ride:
The parking lot test got a audible "wow" from me. I've ridden VP-Frees with DHXs, Rocos, Swingers, and 5ths. In terms of suppleness, the DH2 felt amazing. I promptly found a curb and rode over it - much to my delight, I didn't even notice the rear wheel going over it. Over the next couple days, I got it onto a couple of easy trails, and mobbed around the neighborhood on it, but nothing too crazy.

I put the DH2 through its first real test on a trail called Dead Man's here in Missoula. It is 8 miles of high-speed flow, steeps, ruts, dust, and very loose and rocky Montana goodness. I really though the parking lot test gave me a good idea of what this shock was going to be like, but once I actually got onto the trail, I couldn't believe how well it performed. The one thing that I really noticed about this shock compared others that I've ridden is the range of adjustment. It seems like you can fine-tune your settings much better than other shocks I've ridden. You can get the rebound to go from full-on pogo to the shock not rebounding at all. The compression settings are the same - full-open squish all the way to just about locked out. I actually bumped up the compression a touch on the trail. Through all of the nonsense that is Dead Man's, I always felt like my rear wheel was glued to the ground. However, I could still catch some sweet air popping off of roots and rocks with relative ease. Pedaling was pretty good - there are a couple short sections where you have to pedal, and there was very little bob when seated.

Dead Man's is a technically difficult trail, but there aren't any jumps or drops on it, so after Dead Man's, we went to Deep Creek. There we've got hips, ladder drops, doubles, step-downs, and more of the loose and rocky Montana goodness. Jumping felt great with this shock. There was a good amount of pop that you could generate off of lips, but it felt very controlled. Over everything I hit, the rear suspension just felt bottomless. Everything was so smooth - drops seemed more like rollers, and jumps seemed to have perfect dirt jump landings. I cased a couple of jumps - one bigger hit, and one smaller one at speed, and it still felt bottomless.

All in all, I'm really excited to be rocking this thing on my bike. The guys at X-Fusion really got it right with this shock.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Nice review. Congrats on the shock. Can you comment on the stability of the shock compared to other competitors?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Stability as in does it wabble much or not? Doesn't go to much threw it's travel for no reason. I know it also depends on your compression settings and frame but shocks differ in that matter quite much.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
Stability as in does it wabble much or not? Doesn't go to much threw it's travel for no reason. I know it also depends on your compression settings and frame but shocks differ in that matter quite much.
No, it doesn't go through travel for no reason. Once the sag is set, it is pretty much where you set your compression settings to. I can get the DH2 to blow through the travel really quickly if I run low pressure in the reservoir and no compression. I don't have it set up this way, and run the compression settings so that it keeps me where I need to be in the travel without excessive movement for no reason. You can really control the amount of movement with the bottom-out (by changing the pressure a bit) and the compression settings. It's easy to make it really progressive, and just as easy to make it more linear feeling.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
If I could chime in here, I'd ridden Fox shocks, Manitou shocks and 5th Elements, and the H3LT on my '05 SX Trail rivals the smooth travel of my MOJO tuned DHX 5.0 Coil on my 9" travel Zumbi F44.

I'm highly impressed with what X-Fusion is doing, and their customer service and general nice-guy-we-love-bikes attitude have me sold.

I'm a solid customer, that's for sure.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
So far I have heard nothing but good things about these guys. I can't really comment on the quality as I haven't ridden any of their stuff yet but I definitely want to. The only thing holding me back at this point is the finance thing-a-ma-jig-a-ma-bob.

Hey Matt,

The cost on the Vector HLR $649.99 with Ti spring is additional $125. The H3LT is $479.99. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

John Valera

This puts them in the range of premium shocks like BOS and CCDB. You can even get an Elka for less. Anyway, if I had the money I would be willing to give them a try. John has been very helpful at answering all my tech questions and based on the other posts/reviews it sounds like they know what they are doing.

cogs

Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
I have both a DH2 and HLR. The HLR is the newest rear shock to be released for downhill. The HLR is amazing. Actually, both shocks are great.

I rode the DH2 all last season without an issue. Easy to maintain and setup. The HLR is even more pimp.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
This puts them in the range of premium shocks like BOS and CCDB. You can even get an Elka for less. Anyway, if I had the money I would be willing to give them a try. John has been very helpful at answering all my tech questions and based on the other posts/reviews it sounds like they know what they are doing.
I picked mine up used for less than $200. They're out there, you just have to look for them.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
Dead Man's has several wicked rocky chunder sections, some steep, some kinda steep, some flattish. if the shock performed well there and kept the rear wheel planted, it sounds like X-Fusion have done a great job.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
if you're asking me -- no, I'm not Brian. just someone who has ridden Dead Man's a ton, on a lot of different bikes ranging from a full-on XC race hardtail weighing 23 lbs, to a 45 lbs freedogger bike. paper-thin 1.95 XC race tires to 2.5/2.7 DH tires. fully rigid to full suspension. I know the trail very well. I helped build the stunts that were approved by Don Carroll but dismantled under Maggie Pittman's tenure. I've built plenty of trail miles in this area.

but I'm not Brian.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I have a question about that shock.

Is there one type of parking lot that suits it better then another? How is it on dirt lots compared to paved ones? How did it react to the painted lines? Did you have any spiking issues on lots that were more full, or was it better when it was empty?

thanks in advance.

:D

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
I have a question about that shock.

Is there one type of parking lot that suits it better then another? How is it on dirt lots compared to paved ones? How did it react to the painted lines? Did you have any spiking issues on lots that were more full, or was it better when it was empty?

thanks in advance.

:D
The parking lot I used was the one outside of the adult video store, so it was quite slippery.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
if you're asking me -- no, I'm not Brian. just someone who has ridden Dead Man's a ton, on a lot of different bikes ranging from a full-on XC race hardtail weighing 23 lbs, to a 45 lbs freedogger bike. paper-thin 1.95 XC race tires to 2.5/2.7 DH tires. fully rigid to full suspension. I know the trail very well. I helped build the stunts that were approved by Don Carroll but dismantled under Maggie Pittman's tenure. I've built plenty of trail miles in this area.

but I'm not Brian.
was aimed at the op but realized it was not him pretty quickly. ya its too bad deadmans has gone downhill (in a a bad way) since i have been in missoula. Used to be pretty well maintained and fun to ride. Now its borderline sketchy and missing a lot of the super fun stunts it used to have

dsb18292

Chimp
Mar 24, 2009
How are the Vector DH2 shocks holding up?

Just snagged one on a whim since the price was right. Figured it was worth a shot.

OP, you mention full range on the adjustment knobs. When stiffened up do they still have effect on the high speed or does the shim stack handle that regardless?

Winger

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
So far I have heard nothing but good things about these guys. I can't really comment on the quality as I haven't ridden any of their stuff yet but I definitely want to. The only thing holding me back at this point is the finance thing-a-ma-jig-a-ma-bob.

Hey Matt,

The cost on the Vector HLR $649.99 with Ti spring is additional $125. The H3LT is $479.99. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

John Valera

Hey there... Im the US marketing manager at X-Fusion...

For 2010 we scaled our prices back. The Brand new Vector HLR is now 449.99 w/Steel Spring. This has all the same adjustments as the 09 DH2, but also has an additional high-speed compression adjustment.

The Vector RC that takes the place of the DH 2 is now 349.99 w/ steel spring.

Both these shocks have been completely revamped by our new Product Manager/ head Engineer. Who has 10+ years of experience working in the suspension industry for some of our top competitors. We have really started to focus on high end performance and quality and coming in at a more reasonable price for consumers. We have the tools to do it so look for more to come. Pumped to see all this interest in our products and I think the new Vector Series could be a great addition to your trail and fr/dh bikes this year. Thanks Guys!

-John Hauer

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Nice review, Radarr.
Can anyone tell anything more about H3 LT? Any comparison with DHX Air and Evolver IXS-6 Intrinsic?

cogs

Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Nice review, Radarr.
Can anyone tell anything more about H3 LT? Any comparison with DHX Air and Evolver IXS-6 Intrinsic?
The H3 LT is far superior to other brand air shocks in both feel and quality.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Does it have good/proper mid stroke compression damping which didn't exist on DHX Air?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
The DHX Air damping was the same as the coil, it's the flat(ter) spot in the spring curve that causes that feeling.
That was always my assumption as well (and 100% correct), but I know that Darren (Push) posted something saying that the internals were different and that is why they did not work on the DHX air.

IIRC, it was something to the effect of no compression shims on the main piston..that all the comp damping was handled by the boost/propedal valve....

Of course I cannot find the quote from Darren, and the only DHX air I have owned was sold ASAP to be replace with a CCDB.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
That was always my assumption as well (and 100% correct), but I know that Darren (Push) posted something saying that the internals were different and that is why they did not work on the DHX air.

IIRC, it was something to the effect of no compression shims on the main piston..that all the comp damping was handled by the boost/propedal valve....

Of course I cannot find the quote from Darren, and the only DHX air I have owned was sold ASAP to be replace with a CCDB.
Really? Hmm... have to get onto Udi, I know he's had his apart before, would be surprised if there were no compression shims on the main piston and he hadn't noticed. If that is the case, however, then I stand corrected.

@OP - what negatives, no matter how minor (seriously, even just "it looks cheap" or something haha), did you find with the shock? I can never bring myself to fully believe any review that is 100% positive or 100% negative.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
They certainly do have compression shims on the main piston, but only a couple (it's been a while since I had one apart, but less shims than the coil). I don't imagine they were doing a whole lot, but it's not zero.

FWIW, the coil has a fairly weak compression stack anyway. Both shocks would probably benefit from firmer main piston compression stacks.

Hope that clears things up.

dsb18292

Chimp
Mar 24, 2009
Initial ride impression...

:thumb::weee:

Good shock. Responsive, lively, and composed. At speed in the rock gardens it is a pleasure. Nice to once again be on a shock that has dials that actually work in a predictable manner.

Not sure if it gets to packing if the knobs are cranked down. I am 1/3rd to 1/2 way up the scale on either knob.

dsb18292

Chimp
Mar 24, 2009
Well, an oil leak from the main seal put my test as very short term :rolleyes:

Winger got in touch with me before I had even noticed it though and told me to check it :thumb:
Less than 2 weeks later I have a new Vector HLR in hand. I had to pay a bit of an upgrade fee, but not bad.
That's some good customer service :)