Quantcast

X:post - Alex's 29er DH bike

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
looks like all the parts are coming together, setup looks almost like what a mini dh bike, until you realize the wheels are huge.
nice setup really!

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
If I squint my eyes, that swingarm makes the bike look like Trek's first failure, er, attempt at rear suspension, way back in the early/mid 90's.

I still would like to try it though...

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Yeah, he was so happy with it that whole race besides no body making HD tubes for 29 inch rims. He took a 26 inch tube and stretched it and made it work, and I think that is what he is still using now.

FYI, Alex is a perfectionist. After I got hurt in 4Cross, Alex sat rebuilding his wheels at least 4 times to find a good pattern for his green and chrome spokes.

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
on a wet world cup track with sketchy tires on a proto-type bike.....?.....no way...
I hope he makes it home in one piece.
That's doesn't sound too different from Angel Fire where he kicked some serious ass on that same bike!!!

(I know MSA is more rugged than AF but still)

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
looks amazing, i wish i could feel the comparison between it and a 26inch 8 inch travel bike, would be really fun
It's a big switch. I didn't get any time on it on the mountain, but riding it around at his house and such, it's very different. He swares on it though. I was contemplating getting one, but he is not going to give me an option of wheel size since he is a meanie pants.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
he might want to try a 21" moto tube. A 26" mtb rim is actually 22" at the bead. Moto tires are much larger outside diameter so it might work.

Anyway, nice bike. I have a ton of respect for what Alex does in his barn. I wish I could find the time.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
tubeless is a good idea, but i know one of my friends runs a 24in mtb tube in his 26 street bike to save a bit of weight. works fine. silly but it works.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
That's doesn't sound too different from Angel Fire where he kicked some serious ass on that same bike!!!

(I know MSA is more rugged than AF but still)
It's great he makes his own bike but it still looks like it's in an expirement stage to me, he's running an air shock and substandard tires in a World Cup......not a good recipe.

I hope it works out for him though....

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
It's great he makes his own bike but it still looks like it's in an expirement stage to me, he's running an air shock and substandard tires in a World Cup......not a good recipe.

Bah.
Somewhere Alex said he picked up a coil shock before he left. Alex has been "making his own bike" since before half of Ridemonkey was even riding bikes. Have some faith.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Bah.
Somewhere Alex said he picked up a coil shock before he left. Alex has been "making his own bike" since before half of Ridemonkey was even riding bikes. Have some faith.
Yeah, He got a 2inch stroke DHX before he left. I gave him my Ti spring and he was off.

Sure, it looks like a prototype, but the beauty of CarbonFiber is, it is always a proto. There is no final design. Right before AngleFire, we was changing his geometry so it would be better with 29 inch wheels.

He still has a few glitches to work out with his new design, but expect it to be done by the end of the summer.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca

'Expirement stage'
Has same look as BCD's I saw in the 90's
;)

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
There is no final design. Right before AngleFire, we was changing his geometry so it would be better with 29 inch wheels.
I guess the BB is probably around the same height as a regular 26" DH bike, but the wheel axels are higher.

How does that 'feel' in corners and/or what are the benefits of it ?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
It would put more downward traction on the tyres?
You'd also have to lean a touch harder due to your weight being transfered through the pedals below the axles,and to get the bigger wheels to bank would also take a touch more leaning,but probably a non noticable amount and I'm totally just guessing(it's late here).

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
I want to see video of him and then a 26er hitting the same rocky section at MSA to see how they roll through it.

I rode with a guy on a 29er this morning and I just can't help but think of the potential advantages that a 29er can offer. I know it's a trade-off because there will be some disadvatages. Someone get the video!

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
It would put more downward traction on the tyres?
You'd also have to lean a touch harder due to your weight being transfered through the pedals below the axles,and to get the bigger wheels to bank would also take a touch more leaning,but probably a non noticable amount and I'm totally just guessing(it's late here).

Incorrect, draw a free body diagram. The reaction surface is at the ground and not at the axle.

The only relative item is the COG may be slightly higher and of course the unsprung and rotational mass are higher assuming the same tire mass in the case of a 26" wheeled bike.

Rob Munro

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
does anyone know what rear cassette/shifter he's using and where I can get one? I'm really liking that 5 speed drivetrain.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I guess the BB is probably around the same height as a regular 26" DH bike, but the wheel axels are higher.

How does that 'feel' in corners and/or what are the benefits of it ?
Yes, his BB is around 13.5, or in that area. The benefits, theroetically, it will roll faster over bumps, and since it is such a short travel bike, it sprints quickly and accelerates quicker. It doesn't feel tall, it just feels.... different.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Incorrect, draw a free body diagram. The reaction surface is at the ground and not at the axle.

The only relative item is the COG may be slightly higher and of course the unsprung and rotational mass are higher assuming the same tire mass in the case of a 26" wheeled bike.
Oh yeah. thanks.