Quantcast

x-post from DH - Whislter Boneyard

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I noticed on sunday that the green box was gone.:( I guess change is good but that thing was fun. I'm sure whatever they build, it will be decent. I hope the bikerX is better this year. I thought the course 2 years ago was better. The choppy rythm section on last years really turned me off.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Silly. But i didnt really ride that area much. I did the green box a few times, but would rather rip into the GLC drop instead.

The biker X was better 2 years ago.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Originally posted by buildyourown
I noticed on sunday that the green box was gone.:( I guess change is good but that thing was fun. I'm sure whatever they build, it will be decent. I hope the bikerX is better this year. I thought the course 2 years ago was better. The choppy rythm section on last years really turned me off.
The green box was ripped out in november...hard to have a green run for skiiers with a big ugly box in the way haha...

They have all new builders this year to setup for the freeride comp. We let the other group go (not out of disgust for their work but because we are getting big)...This was all recently discussed in our local newspaper. I have good hopes things will be better for the bikerX with this new company...

I have also heard b-line will actually be a baby aline with small jumps for beginners...

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Not meaning to hyjack the tread but I have a question for you Roasted, since you live up there and all.....

We are coming up in July for about 5 days and are planning on spending some time riding xc in the valley. Can we just pick up a map of the trails and head out, or sould we be with someone that knows the area?

Thank you :)

SR

Monkey
Dec 8, 2001
Olympia WA
Originally posted by oly
Silly. But i didnt really ride that area much. I did the green box a few times, but would rather rip into the GLC drop instead.

The biker X was better 2 years ago.
the green box set you up nicely for the glc (which I think could benefit from a bit steeper landing)

change is good...riding bikes is fun no matter the obstacles

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Originally posted by SR
the green box set you up nicely for the glc (which I think could benefit from a bit steeper landing)

change is good...riding bikes is fun no matter the obstacles
Steeper good. I guess i never hit it from the green box. I thought you had to cut over across the ropes to hit GLC..... guess i need a refresher.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Snacks,

Start with this

http://www.whistlermountainbike.com/

Its kind of outdated but it has a lot of trails. Also keep in mind we have a lot of hidden trails, thats where I would get a local. However many many trails are out there and easy to find so you don't NEED a guide. I will be happy to show some of my favorites if my hamstring is up to it. I would hit these trails FOR SURE if you want to get a feel for whistler builders

River Runs Through It - kind of a mini north shore trail. No elevation change but lots of fun and pretty easy (lots of easy lines so it is a xc trail) This is a whistler standard to hit.

Comfortably Numb - 5 hours up 1 hour or so down (pros do it in about 4 hours from what I hear). Very long very EPIC xc trail. This is definately not for the weak of heart. I can get you directions if you like...but I am definately not that good at xc ;)...

Kill Me Thrill Me - Another whistler epic. Good 45 minute uphill with switch backs. Pretty tech and lots of areas to play. It pops out near comfortably numb if you are interested in a 9 to 10 hour day :)

There are many many more. But those 3 kind of define our xc trails. If you need any more help ask away :)

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Originally posted by Roasted
Snacks,

Start with this

http://www.whistlermountainbike.com/

Its kind of outdated but it has a lot of trails. Also keep in mind we have a lot of hidden trails, thats where I would get a local. However many many trails are out there and easy to find so you don't NEED a guide. I will be happy to show some of my favorites if my hamstring is up to it. I would hit these trails FOR SURE if you want to get a feel for whistler builders

River Runs Through It - kind of a mini north shore trail. No elevation change but lots of fun and pretty easy (lots of easy lines so it is a xc trail) This is a whistler standard to hit.

Comfortably Numb - 5 hours up 1 hour or so down (pros do it in about 4 hours from what I hear). Very long very EPIC xc trail. This is definately not for the weak of heart. I can get you directions if you like...but I am definately not that good at xc ;)...

Kill Me Thrill Me - Another whistler epic. Good 45 minute uphill with switch backs. Pretty tech and lots of areas to play. It pops out near comfortably numb if you are interested in a 9 to 10 hour day :)

There are many many more. But those 3 kind of define our xc trails. If you need any more help ask away :)
Thanks! We are planning on spending 2 days checking out the xc trails up there. I would say that we are good with 4-5 hour rides. Kill Me Thrill Me sounds great! We were up there last year watching the WORCA channel and the xc trails looked rightous!!!

I think I'll just print the map and see what we can find...I'm thinking that we could probably ask a room up there, but I'm worried about getting laughed at cause it's xc and not dh.

SR

Monkey
Dec 8, 2001
Olympia WA
Originally posted by oly
Steeper good. I guess i never hit it from the green box. I thought you had to cut over across the ropes to hit GLC..... guess i need a refresher.
maybe there was a rope at one time but I know when Kyle and I went we'd hit the box and the wall and roll right on through to the glc, I even have video proof somewhere:)

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Originally posted by Snacks
Thanks! We are planning on spending 2 days checking out the xc trails up there. I would say that we are good with 4-5 hour rides. Kill Me Thrill Me sounds great! We were up there last year watching the WORCA channel and the xc trails looked rightous!!!

I think I'll just print the map and see what we can find...I'm thinking that we could probably ask a room up there, but I'm worried about getting laughed at cause it's xc and not dh.
There are just as many xc guys as dh here (hard to believe but true). Lots of old school pros around. The xc trails are awesome...dh section, drops, fast flowy...comfortably numb offer 4 different terrain changes in one ride.

Kill me thrill me is a staple...if you were watching the worca station last summer you saw either kill me thrill me OR river runs through it (3 year old video)...the only other biking vid they use is high and dry from squamish.

cheers

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Originally posted by SR
maybe there was a rope at one time but I know when Kyle and I went we'd hit the box and the wall and roll right on through to the glc, I even have video proof somewhere:)
The rope was there right at the beginning of the season. Usually to seperate the bikercross course , glc drop and boneyard. I think by june they took them all down...if I remember right.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Originally posted by SR
I never did see the evil dust cloud video.....

Universe

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Courtenay, BC
Originally posted by oly
I hit the green box to glc almost every run last year.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Originally posted by Universe
I hit the green box to glc almost every run last year.
DOH! Well, i guess i forgot. I only was able to make a few trips there last year anyhoo. My favorite runs included Hornet so i usually ended up over there. I didnt care for the boneyard/4x track much.