Quantcast

X7 shifter question...shifts multiple gears

I bought a Prophet and it came with X7 shifters and an X9 derailleur. The shifting is smooth but I found one day that if I hold my thumb on the lever to shift down the rear derailleur will continue to move until I release the pressure. I can be in the 9th cog and if I hold my thumb down on the shifter and pedal it will shift all the way down to the first cog. It doesn't jump down the to the cog but if you pedal it will shift down through the cogs until it get to the big one.

Is that normal for these shifters? I haven't tried it yet on my hardtail but it may not work the same way anyway because it has a lower level SRAM shifter (SX4 I think). Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Mike

crackhead

Chimp
Feb 2, 2005
that sounds like it is acting right. i rember a LBS saying that they will shift though 4 gears by holding the lever

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I think it's broke. The release lever should only be one at a a time. The paddle for shifting to a lower gear will go 4 I think.

I think I am talking about the paddle. Anyway, I'm heading out the door for a ride now so I will double check this and get back. I'm leaning towards something being broken though because the gear indicator on the shifter doesn't display properly and getting into the smallest cog seems to be hit and miss. That's cool though because I'm basically due for the break in visit to the shop so I'll bring this up with them.

If anyone knows for sure post it up please.

Mike

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
There are 3 small 2.5mm (I think) bolts that hold your shifter together. SRAM shifters, despite being way better then shimano have a tendency to blow up and do funky things like this. I find they work better without that gear indicator thing, so I just take that out whenever I get new ones. Crack the thing open slowly so the coil spring which is under tension wont fly out, and then have a look at the teeth. You should see the problem.

What youve described though actually sounds kind of like a cool feature though.