Quantcast

X9 -vs- X0 shifter

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I'm looking at moving to Sram, and I'm wondering if there's a big difference in feel between the 07 versions of these things. I know in 06 the X0 stuff was way better, but do they pretty much function the same now? It'll be paired with a short cage X9 derailleur.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
they pretty much work the same now. just more exotic materials in the X.0
hell no, i just picked up a X.9 2007 shifter for one of my other bikes. it feels like crap compared to the other XO shifters i have. can't wait to order a new XO shifter for this. the thumb lever just doesn't have the same solid feel.
sure it shifts just fine and good. but i want perfect.

buy XO shifters only. x.9 rear der get the job done.

sAFETY

Chimp
Mar 5, 2007
I just picked up a ride with X0 shifters and X9 RD after running full X9 for years. I don't know if it's the new 07 RD, but the shifters sure feel a lot nicer. I'm sold on the X0

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
X.O's are nicer, but it is reflected in the price, even straight from the distributor. Gotta pay to play, I guess! I've never been one to harass people for buying the best gear, but I run X9 because I'm too damn scared of seeing my bike tumble away from me and knowing I could hundreds of dollars of aluminum and carbon could be landing seperately. X9's can be had pretty damn cheap.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
X.O's are nicer, but it is reflected in the price, even straight from the distributor. Gotta pay to play, I guess! I've never been one to harass people for buying the best gear, but I run X9 because I'm too damn scared of seeing my bike tumble away from me and knowing I could hundreds of dollars of aluminum and carbon could be landing seperately. X9's can be had pretty damn cheap.
Actually, the individual shifters aren't that expensive at all seeing I work at a shop, and when are you going to break a shifter in a crash?

I understand your point if your talking about derailleurs (especially at retail) which is why I'm gonna run an X9.

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
I've got a box full of broken shifers. I haven't seen any high-speed camera footage of the events, but my guess is that the brake lever rotates at some point and drags the shifter with it. Then, the newly exposed shifter becomes a high point and gets broken off as the bike continues to tuble. SRAM shifters have proven more durable for me than Shimano, but they're not invincible.

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
FWIW, the new X.9 is a huge improvement over the '06s. The shifting is about eleventy times (tested in a lab) more crisp than the '06 model. Seriously though, they're a very welcome change after riding with the old model for so long.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I've literally never broken a shifter, so I'm not gonna worry about it.
Really?
You gotta come up to SB more often, I'm sure we can remedy that:monkeydance:

I've detonated a shifter with my knee before, not even in a full-on crash.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I wonder if position has a lot to do with shifter life. I run mine between my brakes and grips and I've never had a problem.

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
I just picked up an 07 X9 shifter for my AM bike and I also have the XO shifter on my DH bike. All I can tell you is that they feel pretty damn close and IMO the XO is probably not worth the extra $$.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
my vote is for the 07 x9. they are crisp light and share the internals of the 06 XO, yes that is correct. the only thing about the 07 x9 is that they are not all that flashy in comparison to XO so there is that mental difference.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
my vote is for the 07 x9. they are crisp light and share the internals of the 06 XO, yes that is correct. the only thing about the 07 x9 is that they are not all that flashy in comparison to XO so there is that mental difference.
Wrong. The XO uses bearings in the shifter and the X9 does not.

ridea

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
south west of England
the old 06 is diffiunately nowhere near but the new 07 youd be hard pushed to find any difference in feel they have the same crisp solid feel now, and if you look at the prices its just not worth the extra $

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
My Sunday Elite came with the new XT push/pull thumb shifters and an ultegra rear derailleur. It should be interesting to see what the differences are in versus SRAM over the past several years.
Yes, I love my SRAM stuff...but hey...why not try something new.

The push or pull of the upshifts is a pretty neat feature, I have to say.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I'd love to try them but I wouldn't buy a Shimano setup without doing just that first, and I don't know anyone who runs the new Shimano stuff. There's nothing with it at my shop either.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
so if one were to run the XO Shifter and the X9 RD he would be pretty set? Is the Xo rd worth the extra dough?
its the shifter thats shifting...

i've ran XO trigger and xo rear der since they've come out. awesome...
now i just run xo triggers with the new x.9 2007 rear der. feels close to the same..

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
My Sunday Elite came with the new XT push/pull thumb shifters and an ultegra rear derailleur. It should be interesting to see what the differences are in versus SRAM over the past several years.
Yes, I love my SRAM stuff...but hey...why not try something new.

The push or pull of the upshifts is a pretty neat feature, I have to say.
yes those feel pretty damn good.. but not as nice as xo i think. XO has a crisper solid feel too it. and shimano always was just quiet and smooth. people have their own preferences