Quantcast

XC peeps, What's you favorite upgrade(s)??

swoody

Chimp
Mar 25, 2008
Chicago, USA
I thought I had come across a thread similar to this before, but I can't really find much info now. I have a Trek 4300 that I use for my XC/trail rides, and as I have mod-initous, I need to play around with it, and make it a better ride.

Tell me what mod(s) have been your favorite that you've done to your bike. What has made the biggest improvement to your rides? What mods have made your trips more fun?? I'm curious to know what you guys think, and maybe myself and others can use your ideas/suggestions as a guide for future improvements.

I'll start off with mine. My favorite upgrade so far (and my only one :disgust1:) has been getting rid of those damned platform pedals in favor of a nice set of Crank Bros. Egg Beaters. These things have made my rides so much easier, and makes climbing that next big hill a great deal more fun. It took me a few rides with the pedals to realize you're not just pushing down on the pedals - you can pull up on the pedals when your legs start getting sore!! :lighten:

So throw out your ideas, and let us all know what you think! :)

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Good seat and grips.
Light wheels if money allows.
Tires lately I have been using a Ardent 2.25 front and crossmark 2.1 or 2.25 in the rear.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Better wheels and avid juicy 7 brakes. The wheels I used to have were heavy and I upgraded to much lighter tubeless wheels. I also changed to Avid juicy 7 disc brakes because I like the adjustability and feel of them over my hayes (I have small hands).

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
My Gravity Dropper. Don't know how i rode xc for so many years without it. Now i can't ride without it. Makes steep trails a lot more easy. Makes boring downhill sections of trail a lot more exciting.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Fresh weed? Frikkin noob.

That is like fresh beef, you want it dry aged for a few weeks.
I meant fresh as in not a year old bag you found under the seat of your truck. Fresh as in newly and properly prepared. Not fresh as in the plants you stumbled across on your ride and decided to pick some. :happydance:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I meant fresh as in not a year old bag you found under the seat of your truck. Fresh as in newly and properly prepared. Not fresh as in the plants you stumbled across on your ride and decided to pick some. :happydance:
Advice I was given from a bike shop when asking about some trails in the Daniel Boone national forest in Ky.

"stay on the main trail. Those side trails usually lead you to something that will get you shot"

Feb 1, 2008
mavisdale,va
When the tax faory made her deposit,I upgraded wheels (WTB Speed Discs/Deore),tires (WTB Exiwolf 2.3"),fork (Vassago ODIS rigid),brake rotors (from 160/140mm to 185/185),and complete drivetrain (from stock Redline 1x8 to Raceface Turbines,all Sram X9 shifters/rear der.,Shimano SLX 2spd front,2x9),and new slicker cables-on my Redline d440 29er.

Since I did it all at once,some things are hard to pick out,but I'd say the 2x9 setup,and the bigger brakes,then the fork,and then the wheels/tires...oh,and my legs/lungs! Upgraded them by riding more by May 1 than I did all year in 2008.

ViciousXUSMC

Chimp
Jun 19, 2009
On my stock Piranaha I had to upgrade the grips as they would slide on me, and the end of every ride I had to work them back on as they were well over an inch off the handlebars.

So got some Lizard Skins Peatys Lock On's those are nice.

And after several recommendations I just broke down and ordered a Thudbuster LT, our trail is almost all roots so should make my ride much more pleasent.

pbwrench

Chimp
Apr 25, 2009
Clemson, SC
a good wheelset is the best way to shave a bunch of weight. A fork will improve the ride the most. Cranks can save weight and improve power transfer and shifting. All of these can also make you look cool. Easton EA 70 or -90 stem and handlebar will save weight pretty cheaply. Unless your local trails are really steep, forget about the gravity dropper seatposts, etc. Get yourself a Thompson Elite post for $80-- they can't be beat.

sohel001

Chimp
Jul 3, 2009
Bike Setup: iron horse warrior ht w/ a few upgrades ... or a combo of bad luck or are some peeps just BullSh***ing ...who knows. ..... They have already developed loud cracking noise, stiffen up and God knows what's coming next. ..... Also the way the arm is shaped can be painful depending on your pedaling style. ..

coffee

Chimp
Jul 12, 2009
I've done many things to my bikes to make them lighter, faster, and offer a bit of bling, but the best (my favorite) is switching to a 650b front wheel. It does wonders for control, and it rolls over everything better. The Stans ZTR build ended up being lighter than Mavics SL's or most anything else out there and the price was cheap.

Attachments

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I've done many things to my bikes to make them lighter, faster, and offer a bit of bling, but the best (my favorite) is switching to a 650b front wheel. It does wonders for control, and it rolls over everything better. The Stans ZTR build ended up being lighter than Mavics SL's or most anything else out there and the price was cheap.

That bike looks fast just standing still like that!! Nice friggin bike!!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

bikermancam

Chimp
Sep 26, 2004
wheel upgrades have the potential to be a huge weight savings based on reducing rotational mass which has been discussed all over the tubes and can be one of the most noticeable improvements in weight reduction and ride stiffness.

Attachments

rec

Chimp
Oct 1, 2004
Central Va.
Loose the large chain ring and replace it with a bash gaurd. I never use the large chain ring and you gain a bunch of grd clearance, and confidence for going over obstacles.
I love it

seppk

Chimp
Aug 3, 2009
wheels and tubeless tires save alot even though they are expensive and even pedals if you have some heavy ones currently