Quantcast

XC steel hardtail based around 5" fork

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
I'm playing with the idea of selling my fs frame and swapping all my components over to a hardtail. I'm looking for a steel frame that is sub 6 lbs and has a head angle that is around 69 degrees with a 5" fork (Fox Talas).

Any suggestions?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Evil Sovereign is around 6lbs, right head angle w/ a 5" fork, and the oh-so-sweet Reynolds tubing. A little pricey, though - you didn't give a price range.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
MMcG said:
On One 456 might do the trick!
OH...MY...GOD. I think we might have a winner.

I don't think I'd like the Handjob. With a 5" fork, I think the head angle would be too slack.

binary visions said:
Evil Sovereign is around 6lbs, right head angle w/ a 5" fork, and the oh-so-sweet Reynolds tubing. A little pricey, though - you didn't give a price range.
I'm not sure of my price range yet, so I left that out. I've been eyeing the Sovereign, but they ARE pricey. $800 for a hardtail is a bit steep. The On One site lists the 456 as just under $400, which is a bit better.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Another option would be a Cotic Soul - but those aren't easy to find in the US.

Hmmm........what else comes to mind? Could you afford to go custom? If so, that opens up tons of options.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Another option would be a Cotic Soul - but those aren't easy to find in the US.

Hmmm........what else comes to mind? Could you afford to go custom? If so, that opens up tons of options.
I guess I'd like to keep my cost below $500. Hopefully this could keep me from having to dish out any money on this project.

Anyone know what I could get for a used '05 Yeti 575 frame that's in good condition?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
A Sovereign or a 456?

After looking at the 456, I think I'd take that over a Sovereign. http://weightweenies.starbike.com lists the 456 as just over 5 lbs for a 18", which sounds right on. Evil's site lists the Sovereign as 6.1, which is pushing it.

DNA has a 456 that he bought with the impression that it was a freeride hardtail (mislabeled as so by On One).

he's now got it set up with a 24" rear wheel to get it to be more slack.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
PN - have you lost your *MIND*?!? You must have a really good back, 'cause these trails out here will beat the $hit out of you on a hardtail. Leave those retro things for the younguns.

Or are you moving back to MO? :p

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
PN - have you lost your *MIND*?!?
Perhaps :banana:

Or are you moving back to MO? :p
Not yet, but soon. The house is sold and we're moving into an apt this next weekend. Next step is to either find a real job in StL, or pick up enough investment property to ditch the day job. We're buying our first rental in Nov and hope to have 1-2 more by Jan. If that goes as planned, I'm hoping to ditch my job by the middle of next year. If that happens, we'll be off.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Not yet, but soon. The house is sold and we're moving into an apt this next weekend. Next step is to either find a real job in StL, or pick up enough investment property to ditch the day job. We're buying our first rental in Nov and hope to have 1-2 more by Jan. If that goes as planned, I'm hoping to ditch my job by the middle of next year. If that happens, we'll be off.
Well good luck on it! I would now recommend a rigid bike, though. :p

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Well good luck on it! I would now recommend a rigid bike, though. :p
Yeah, when I went back to StL last June, I brought my 575 and rode some of my old trails. There is absolutely no reason anyone should be riding the midwest on a full suspension bike. None. I could really notice the bike bob under me whenever I accelarated. Unlike here, where I'm too busy trying to climb up and over the next rocky ledge to notice any bob. Maybe something like your NRS would be a decent midwest full-sus option, but not the 575.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Hmmm, that price IS right. Unfortunately, you had to show me the 456. That thing is a work of art. I can't get it out of my mind. You bastard.
Even worse is that now I am sold on the idea of selling the 456 and getting something burlier. :rant:

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I am running a Rocky Mountain Blizzard with a 5" travel Marzocchi 66vf-2 right now. Interesting ride, I find it works good for me, but then again I am slightly strange to begin with.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Haha!

Hook Pixelninja up with yours and get someting then.......I should get commission though. ;) :biggrin:
I think that I have some Biopace chainrings sitting around, I could send you those as compensation. :biggrin:

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Holy cow, I think I'm dreaming. I ran this by the wife, and instead of the "What the heck's wrong with your current bike?" speech, I got the "I think this is doable if you want an early xmas present. Show me the numbers" speech.

The way she was talking, it sounds like I'll be able to keep my 575 frame, which is a good thing. Last night my brother says to me, "The On One looks cool, but you're married with kids now. How many more chances will you get to buy a Yeti?"

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Holy cow, I think I'm dreaming. I ran this by the wife, and instead of the "What the heck's wrong with your current bike?" speech, I got the "I think this is doable if you want an early xmas present. Show me the numbers" speech.
Alas, my wife took a dim view of another bike "sell and buy" so soon after getting the Monocog 29er.

I got the "Are you f"@#?!ng nuts?" speech. :rant: