Quantcast

XC Tires

SUBZEROGC

Chimp
Aug 7, 2002
LA
I am fairly new to mountain biking and I have a Specialized FSR. The stock tires suck.
Can anyone recommend some good all around tires. I ride in So. Cal so most of my riding is on hard packed or loose gravel single tracks and fire roads.

Thanks.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Do an advanced search.

Welcome to RM.

The same questions over and over and over. (This is more for all the other users who've been here long enough to know better)

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!
Check out IRC Mythos XC...pretty popular XC tire. Front and rear specific.

I'm usuing a WTB Velociraptor rear and IRC Backcountry front.
I recently started running my front a little wider than the rear...got a 2.25 front and 2.1 rear...really liking it a lot. The increase in weight (over 1.9s and 2.1s that I used to use) is extremely minimal and the increase in traction is very noticeable, especially in loose conditions.

Performance, Pricepoint, Supergo, and JensonUSA usually have tires on sale.

eion

Chimp
Jul 1, 2002
Siskiyou County, CA
Panaracer FireXC Pro 2.1s (in kevlar) are the best all-round tyres I've ever used - they work reasonably OK in British gloop and excellently in California dust. I've tried a bunch of other tyres, most notably the IRC Notos XC (which sucks hard) and the Hutchinson Scorpion (I think that's the one I had - it was also pretty bad, especially grip-wise).

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
I'll second the Backcountry. We got a bunch of 'em for real cheep so I got a set, not for XC riding, but for jumping and street. One would think, with the thin sidewalls and all, that they'd be flat-masters (previously used expression :)) but actually, they're very grippy, nice and light, and have a good, predictable knob pattern. I'm sold! What is more, I'll be getting another set for my SS once I start doing dirt rides on that thing.

Originally posted by KrusteeButt
Check out IRC Mythos XC...pretty popular XC tire. Front and rear specific.

I'm usuing a WTB Velociraptor rear and IRC Backcountry front.
I recently started running my front a little wider than the rear...got a 2.25 front and 2.1 rear...really liking it a lot. The increase in weight (over 1.9s and 2.1s that I used to use) is extremely minimal and the increase in traction is very noticeable, especially in loose conditions.

Performance, Pricepoint, Supergo, and JensonUSA usually have tires on sale.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Sorry about the Panaracer Mythos bit… I was tired last night…

For my rigid bike (really old Rockhopper) that I use on fire roads if have a set of 5 year old IRC Mythos 2.1s. I find them fast rollers, the front tread does not washout on twisty loose gravel and you can slide the rear when needed.

For my XC bike (Trey Y-22) I use Hutchinson Alligator Gold. I like these for general XC and climbing. In the NW the trails stay wet for a long time, these tires handle the muck pretty well. I have noticed the front end washes out if I follow the DH bombers down a steep technical twisty when it is dry – if you leave the ground on a turn you will not be forgiven. Probably more due to my poor skills and lack of DH experience.

For my freeride? bike (Trek Y-Glide) I use WTB Veloceraptors 2.1s. I hate them for straight XC since they are not fast rollers. I love them for their stability on the downhill technical stuff I am trying to improve on. I keep them at 35f/30r and… between the Marzocchi Bomber fork, Stratos XC Pro rear shock and Veloceraptors… it’s like a big fat Cadillac. Stable and plush.

novice

Chimp
Aug 8, 2001
Madison, WI
I'm a big fan of the michelin wildgripper comp s/lite. They are a good all-arounder, but they don't feel great in the tow conditions you mentioned, gravel and dusty hardpack. For that I would reccomend a front/rear specific tire like the mythos or the velociraptor. I stopped using these becuase they slip easier on roots and rocks than the wildgrippers, and don't shed mud nearly as well. I've had friends that love bontrager revolt super x, jones ac, and continental explorer pro. They all seem more stable cornering than the wildgripper, becasue of it's flexy side knobs, so they work quite well for hte conditions you described. Hope that helps.

R

rstrange1

My view on tires:

panaracers are too heavy and too stupid
irc wears too fast and flats
michellin wears even faster
even faster than that wears wilderness trail
bontragers dry out and the sidewalls split
specialized is and makes garbage
hutchinsons are not round and are the worst manufactured tire
Kendas are rumored to not do what they are supposed to . . .
(mud distribution)

MAXXIS are what I ride. Order them, just get them. MAXXIS.com
I don't think that you will find better tires on this entire planet. There is a specific tire for every purpose. Just buy Maxxis.