Quantcast

XT m775 brake pads

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
Hi,

I'm struggling with my XT m775 brakes and I'm trying to figure out what the solution is. The brakes came stock with the metal pads (which have been pretty noisy), and while they feel outstanding at lower speeds, they were pretty freaking terrible in Whistler...got to the point where they were absolutely howling every time the brakes came on, but there was very little stopping power. I know of other people that rock m775s with good success for all kinds of riding, so I'm guessing that my issue is with the pads. I'm running a 203mm front rotor and 185mm rear which gives the brakes plenty of leverage to stop my wheels, so why the extreme brake fade?

Should I be going with the resin pads instead of the metal? Or should I just try pads from a different company?

Thanks.

bjorn

Chimp
Nov 10, 2008
ain't so much about the juice in the hose as the padz n rotors n setup on the bike i'm guessing. don't use big S hardware though so don't know first hand.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
Hey bud im always telling people on here, dont bother with the stock stuff. its good, but not that good

Get Swiss Stop pads. They are a bit pricy about £20 each end. But they are well worth it. Great power, low noise. Take a little more effort to bed in, but once they are there uber. :-)

TWeerts

Monkey
Jan 7, 2007
The Area Bay
dot4 > mineral oil
i'm gonna call false on that one...
Pretty unsubstantiated there.
easy tigers.

well , op was complaining about brake fade.

fwir, mineral oil boils at ~200-400* F depending on brand/grade/variances. DOT4/5/5.1 ranges from ~450-600* F can we all agree that dot 4/5/5.1 has a higher boiling point than mineral oil? cool....

so, as the brakes heat up, the fluid looses its anti-compressive properties, and starts to have some (more) elastic/compressive properties. hence...brake fade.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Have you tried one Metal with one Resin pad. I've used this combo quite a bit with Shimanos in the past with good success.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
fwir, mineral oil boils at ~200-400* F depending on brand/grade/variances. DOT4/5/5.1 ranges from ~450-600* F can we all agree that dot 4/5/5.1 has a higher boiling point than mineral oil?
no, because your mineral oil boiling point figures are off.by a lot