Quantcast

XTR crank and BB incompatibility???

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I have an older XTR crankset (still the splined, but the first generation of them... m951 maybe?) , that I used to run with the rebuildable splined BB. I tried to install it with the updated cartridge BB, and it bottomed out on the cup before it was fully pressed onto the splines...

stranger still the old BB was a 73 x 112.5, and the new cartridge one is a 73 x 116.5, but it dodn't have any problems on the old one...

Any idea what could be going on?

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
One of them Boston suburbs
I did the same deal with my XTR (old setup, just got new cartridge bb). the new bb seemed a little looser but I cranked everything down and it seems ok. just make sure you have everything lined up right.

(BTW, does anyone know where one can get the rebuildable bbs? they were SOOOO much better)

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
I missed the part where it was bottomed out on the cup.
But i have never seen that problem before. :confused: :confused:
I sold an XTR bb to a guy today for the same situation and he came back in the afternoon to get the der adjusted. no problems!

I have no idea what could be going wrong. Does it bottom out on both cups or just one?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Yeah, I know the chainline won't be that good. I just picked up the 116 for use on a different bike, but didn't end up using it. The rebuildable one (112.5) creaks, so I thought I'd try the cartridge to make sure it was the BB on not something else...

I figured it out. I'm using an aftermarket 5-arm spider, which is normally no problem, but the granny ring I put on it, has tabs that extend past the bolts in towards the center, and it was actually these tabs that were interfering with the BB cup which is slightly bigger driveside on the cartridge BB than on the rebuildable.

Also, WTG, I have two of the 112.5 rebuildable BB's, one is kind of gritty and I keep it for spare parts, and the other one runs smooth. I would gladly trade both of those for a 112.5 cartridge XTR BB is you want to switch. The rebuildables are lighter and I guess theoretically longer lasting, but I prefer the zero maintenance of the cartirdge format.

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
One of them Boston suburbs
Originally posted by ohio
[B
Also, WTG, I have two of the 112.5 rebuildable BB's, one is kind of gritty and I keep it for spare parts, and the other one runs smooth. I would gladly trade both of those for a 112.5 cartridge XTR BB is you want to switch. The rebuildables are lighter and I guess theoretically longer lasting, but I prefer the zero maintenance of the cartirdge format. [/B]
thanks for the offer... but my cartridge is pretty much brand new, and I'm kinda curious as to how long it'll last. I've never had a cartidge BB last for a full year, but then I've never had an XTR cartridge b4.