Quantcast

XTR M985 Tail pedals durable enough for DH?

grooveninja

Chimp
Aug 30, 2010
I can't tell if that extended platform is alloy or plastic and if it could hold up to hitting the occasional rock? I'm done with with my CB Mallet's.

Pelle

Chimp
Nov 21, 2008
Dont know how they will hold up but I´m pretty sure you will see them on alot of dh bikes next season.

chuckie

Monkey
Jul 2, 2007
I use them on my 6 inch AM bike, just fantastic!! had a couple of pedal bashes and thought they would suffer, but was surprised to see they held up nicely with only slight scratches

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
It seems from descriptions I googled that the platform is aluminum. Those pedals look pretty awesome. I really like Shimano pedals as it is, so a thinner, lighter pedal with a metal cage seems like a good idea. My complaint with other Shimano pedals is that the mechanism that holds the cage at an angle can break (happened to me on more than one pair) and the cage itself can break (broke both cages off my 647s but the pedals themselves are fine). The new pedals would seem to solve the first problem and at least lessen the chance of the second (though admittedly make things more complicated if the cage did break).

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
The Sicklines DHR has some:

They say: "Shimano’s new 2011 XTR Trail pedals were bolted onto our DHR. They’re not official DH pedals but they’ve held up impressively well to some downhill beating. They don’t offer quite the same platform security as their 646′s but they certainly work if you don’t need or require quite that much support."

mattyj

Chimp
Apr 21, 2010
Go 647's...... For DH its nice to have a little larger platform for those times you cant quite get clipped back in straight away.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I've been using Syncros Traverse AM pedals all season long.
http://www.syncros.com/pedals.htm
Despite the fact that the cage/entire pedal is made with sort of composite - carbon with nylon, they survived.
They didn't crack, but that are scratched and dented.
What I didn't like about then, are ball bearings you can't easily service. To open than, you need special double-tubular one-inside-another key. Similar to what Shimano has, but different size :|
So, I decided to give news XTR Trail pedals a try.
Real weight is 375g, so just 55g more than Syncros.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Funny you asked this. Ive been thinking about this for a bit. Let us know if you give them a try.

Who has the best price on them?

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
But it's not a flip-up design? That was always the advantage of Shimanos...

I think the 636 was their last decent SPD for DH. I had 647s and the resin cage might as well have been made from ice when you put your foot down on it.

It's all pins and sticky rubber for me now.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
But it's not a flip-up design? That was always the advantage of Shimanos...

I think the 636 was their last decent SPD for DH. I had 647s and the resin cage might as well have been made from ice when you put your foot down on it.

It's all pins and sticky rubber for me now.
It kinda bugs me that every SPD DH pedal on the market now is somewhat flawed. I went as far as getting atomlab spds and I still regret it. Im really thinking of risking going with times.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
It kinda bugs me that every SPD DH pedal on the market now is somewhat flawed. I went as far as getting atomlab spds and I still regret it. Im really thinking of risking going with times.
the only "risk" of going with Times is that the z-pedal is a little heavy. otherwise it's bomber.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
the only "risk" of going with Times is that the z-pedal is a little heavy. otherwise it's bomber.
I have a 10 year old time atack xc pedal and its still strong but Ive had some friends with Zs that destroyed their cages. Some of them were pretty light. That got me worried.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Doesn't look like much of a platform on those. Why can't shimano figure our how to put a real platform and some pins on a SPD? I like the idea of the new Mallet platforms but I hate the crankbrothers clipless interface.

v6 4.3

Monkey
Jan 22, 2005
it is a very common misconception that XTR stuff is fragile. But, XTR is nothing but fragile. maybe the first xtr group was fragile but it has come very far now.
These pedals are the trail version and they are sick, im running them in super rocky conditions getting really bashed up and they are just fine.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Doesn't look like much of a platform on those. Why can't shimano figure our how to put a real platform and some pins on a SPD?
You know Shimano... :think:

But IMO, I don't want pins snagging my ability to release from the pedal. If you've every done the high-pressure release, pins would keep the cleat from letting go...

grooveninja

Chimp
Aug 30, 2010
I also wish their platform was a little closer to the mallets and with the ability to add/remove pins as needed. Personally I hated the flip up design.

Looks like I'm going to have to give them a try though.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
I like the idea of the new Mallet platforms but I hate the crankbrothers clipless interface.
what 'new' mallet are you referring to?

i tried loading the 'news' section of the crankbrothers site, but it crashed repeatedly.