Quantcast

Yakuza for 4x/Slalom/Mini-DH

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
So after riding my buddies FQ I got the jones for a nice, small, jumping/mini DH/slopestyle bike. I already have a Racelink for DH, but it has 24's...so I want to move the 24s to another bike (since nobody would buy them for what they're worth).

So ideally I'm looking at an Avent arson or Morewood mmbopza or whatever...or a rail or zigzag...but all these frames, even used, still cost $650 plus.

The one frame I can find for cheap, that I've always really liked, is the IH Yakuza...any comments on how this frame might do as a purely fun bike? I'd have a single crown, 5-6" fork on it, 24's, and would lock out as much travel as possible, via ramping up bottom out or elastomer bumpers or whatever... The top tube is right, the setup is right, but the chainstays spook me. Any comments?

TGR

Monkey
Jan 9, 2006
I know 3 yakuza riders and they all snapped atleast one chainstay each, sure they were specced with boxxers and dh parts and actually raced for a whole season. They have a very very very nice geometry and they are super light, but they crack pretty easily...

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
I know 3 yakuza riders and they all snapped atleast one chainstay each, sure they were specced with boxxers and dh parts and actually raced for a whole season. They have a very very very nice geometry and they are super light, but they crack pretty easily...
did they run a shorter i2i shock?

i've heard that some people did that, but didn't file away a small section of the frame so it bottomed out on itself, causing it to eventually crack.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Which model Yakuza are you talking about...there are several different Yakuza models.

If you're talking about the Kumicho, I got one this year, it's good for DH but I don't know how well it would work for what you want to do with it.

Oh, and I talked to w00dy and some others and we are planning on a end of the season Diablo trip Oct. 20th, you should come.