Quantcast

Yea!!! More spying on US citizens that we haven't known about the past 5 years!

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Congratulations red staters, we are now guilty until proven innocent. Thanks for f*cking it up for the rest of us.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Polandspring88 said:
Thats ok, I don't like my privacy anyway. Perhaps the NSA can send someone in to hold my dick when I pee too, that would be greatly appreciated.
If you ask nicely, maybe they'll wipe your ass as well. Seems to be about all this administration is good for.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Transcend said:
If you ask nicely, maybe they'll wipe your ass as well. Seems to be about all this administration is good for.
They'd probably screw that up too and get **** all over your bollocks.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Transcend said:
Well there is a reason the constitutions says the militias are supposed to bear arms to keep the gov't in check. Maybe it's about that time?
Close. But right now there are still too many idiots who would fight for "the flag" instead of what it REALLY stands for.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Transcend said:
Well there is a reason the constitutions says the militias are supposed to bear arms to keep the gov't in check. Maybe it's about that time?
Sadly, even if we had militias, we've put so much into the military, the militias wouldnt stand a snowballs chance.

...unless some military guys grew some balls and defected, but even still...too many guns, too many drones.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Days like this, I am sooo glad I left America. I miss the riding though... I guess you guys miss your freedom too.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Changleen said:
Days like this, I am sooo glad I left America. I miss the riding though... I guess you guys miss your freedom too.
You cant get gay-married in NZ, can you?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
LordOpie said:
Are you temporarily retarded or trolling?
Pick up your landline phone and call a friend in a different state and tell him that you wish someone would assasinate Bush. Don't say that you would do it, or that you personally want to be involved, just that it's be good if it happened. Also talk about the NSA and 9/11 how it is all a big lie. Go on you pvssy, do it if you're so free. You won't be commiting any crimes.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Changleen said:
Pick up your landline phone and call a friend in a different state and tell him that you wish someone would assasinate Bush. Don't say that you would do it, or that you personally want to be involved, just that it's be good if it happened. Also talk about the NSA and 9/11 how it is all a big lie. Go on you pvssy, do it if you're so free. You won't be commiting any crimes.
The fact I that wouldn't do that has nothing to do with my freedom.

I also wouldn't go into the black neighborhood and start yelling 'nigger'. Or the nazi neighborhood and yelling, "this jew thinks y'all bugger sheep for fun." Or a lacrosse frat party.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
LordOpie said:

I also wouldn't go into the black neighborhood and start yelling 'nigger'. Or the nazi neighborhood and yelling, "this jew thinks y'all bugger sheep for fun." Or a lacrosse frat party.
Only you should generally be afraid of large pissed off black men, or Nazis with tanks and guns. You shouldn't be afraid of your own government.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Transcend said:
Only you should generally be afraid of large pissed off black men, or Nazis with tanks and guns. You shouldn't be afraid of your own government.
If you're not afraid of your govt, then perhaps your govt is a big girlie man.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
LordOpie said:

In what way is what I said ANYTHING like those examples? The reason you won't do it is because you're afraid of your government.

As has been observed many times throughout history, a government should be afraid of it's people, not vice versa.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Changleen said:
As has been observed many times throughout history, a government should be afraid of it's people, not vice versa.

Okay...let me interject here.

The govt is only made up of people. People who want to please people to get their votes so they can keep their jobs. Sure, there may be some greed for $$$ in there, but by and large, you know, the distinction of holding the office and keeping the power is the big draw. These guys know that doing anything stupid means losing that power...they are afraid, one way or another.

There is no freaking new world order. Not enough people agree on a damned thing. There is no 9/11 conspiracy. What this equals is people doing their jobs, and maybe going a bit too far with it. It will be dealt with, and some people will lose power because of it. Nothing more.

Nobodys is going to gitmo for a bush-with-horns avatar. Chill the **** out.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
BurlyShirley said:
The govt is only made up of people. People who want to please people to get their votes so they can keep their jobs. Sure, there may be some greed for $$$ in there, but by and large, you know, the distinction of holding the office and keeping the power is the big draw. These guys know that doing anything stupid means losing that power...they are afraid, one way or another.
Might I say, with the utmost respect, that you miss the point entirely.

I am not concerned with the people who wield power but with the power that they wield.

Sure, corruption and stupidity and greed are problems, and we should hang for treason every congressman or executive official who acts with anything but they highest degree of candor and honesty.

HOWEVER, it is the state as an entity, the incentives it produces for people who live under it and the means that it deploys in the course of its work that cause me concern.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Changleen said:

Piss off!
Thee most abuseive govenments have tended to be those with the greatest fear of the people!
Please.... Explain then the greatest of the paranoid/fear of the people type govenments like Mao tse tung's, Stain's and Hitlers then?
Those wankers had a fear of the people and used the postion of power to cursh all dissent as they were scared of the people!

For proper govenment, neither the people nor the govenment should have fear as fear makes for some very very dreadful mistakes. :clue:

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
BurlyShirley said:

There is no freaking new world order. Not enough people agree on a damned thing. There is no 9/11 conspiracy. What this equals is people doing their jobs, and maybe going a bit too far with it. It will be dealt with, and some people will lose power because of it. Nothing more.
Some greed for $$$? Politicians can't get into Washington without millions or billions of dollars (depending on which position one is seeking.) Where do they get that money? It comes from private and corporate interests. Politicians aren't trying to please people, unless by "people" you mean the ones who give them their campaign contributions. That's why we see secret energy policy meetings and the like.

Bawitdaba

Chimp
Feb 18, 2006
Pine Plains, NY
We should try and keep in mind that the goal of the domestic surveillance program is not to kep tabs on the average Joe or Jane, but on the folks who are responsible or planning for attacks here in the States. I fear that some people are blinded by partisian politics and are exercising their right to free speech without really thinking of a good alternative. We shouldn't flatter ourselves by trying to believe that we are the target of a surveilance. How many more will be killed and injured, and how much more damage will be incurred to our economy before we all understand that this is for real, bad people want to kill us, and if we don't circle the wagons to some degree, they easily will......

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Bawitdaba said:
standard Bush rhetoric
I don't have any illusions that the NSA is listening to me and my GF's lunch plans. The point is that there are laws in place that would have allowed them to do what they needed. Just because it isn't convenient doesn't mean they can disregard the law. Just because there's no other traffic doesn't mean you can go through a red light.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
Bawitdaba said:
I fear that some people are blinded by partisian politics and are exercising their right to free speech without really thinking of a good alternative.
Here's a good alternative; don't break the law. Don't abridge our civil liberties. How about if Bush doesn't lie to the people that he is supposedly serving?

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Old Man G Funk said:
Here's a good alternative; don't break the law. Don't abridge our civil liberties. How about if Bush doesn't lie to the people that he is supposedly serving?
What are ya worried about? If you're not doing anything wrong then no problems. After all, if you can't trust the government, who can ya trust?;):dead:

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
DaveW said:
Piss off!
Thee most abuseive govenments have tended to be those with the greatest fear of the people!
Please.... Explain then the greatest of the paranoid/fear of the people type govenments like Mao tse tung's, Stain's and Hitlers then?
Those wankers had a fear of the people and used the postion of power to cursh all dissent as they were scared of the people!

For proper govenment, neither the people nor the govenment should have fear as fear makes for some very very dreadful mistakes. :clue:
Excellent post....

It is a great irony of politics is that when a government is dependent not on the votes of its people but rather on their willingness to tolerate its abuse, the people have a kind of crude leverage that simply doesn’t exist in a democracy. Democratic governments fear the law; dictatorships fear the people.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Poll: Most Americans Support NSA's Efforts
By Richard Morin
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, May 12, 2006; 7:00 AM

A majority of Americans initially support a controversial National Security Agency program to collect information on telephone calls made in the United States in an effort to identify and investigate potential terrorist threats, according to a Washington Post-ABC News poll.

The new survey found that 63 percent of Americans said they found the NSA program to be an acceptable way to investigate terrorism, including 44 percent who strongly endorsed the effort. Another 35 percent said the program was unacceptable, which included 24 percent who strongly objected to it.

A slightly larger majority--66 percent--said they would not be bothered if NSA collected records of personal calls they had made, the poll found.

Underlying those views is the belief that the need to investigate terrorism outweighs privacy concerns. According to the poll, 65 percent of those interviewed said it was more important to investigate potential terrorist threats "even if it intrudes on privacy." Three in 10--31 percent--said it was more important for the federal government not to intrude on personal privacy, even if that limits its ability to investigate possible terrorist threats.

Half--51 percent--approved of the way President Bush was handling privacy matters.

The survey results reflect initial public reaction to the NSA program. Those views that could change or deepen as more details about the effort become known over the next few days.

USA Today disclosed in its Thursday editions the existence of the massive domestic intelligence-gathering program. The effort began soon after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. Since then, the agency began collecting call records on tens of millions of personal and business telephone calls made in the United States. Agency personnel reportedly analyze those records to identify suspicious calling patterns but do not listen in on or record individual telephone conversations.

Word of the program sparked immediate criticism on Capitol Hill, where Democrats and Republicans criticized the effort as a threat to privacy and called for congressional inquiries to learn more about the operation. In the survey, big majorities of Republicans and political independents said they found the program to be acceptable while Democrats were split.

President Bush made an unscheduled appearance yesterday before White House reporters to defend his administration's efforts to investigate terrorism and criticize public disclosure of secret intelligence operations. But he did not directly acknowledge the existence of the NSA records-gathering program or answer reporters' questions about it.

By a 56 percent to 42 percent margin, Americans said it was appropriate for the news media to have disclosed the existence of this secret government program.

A total of 502 randomly selected adults were interviewed Thursday night for this survey. Margin of sampling error is five percentage points for the overall results. The practical difficulties of doing a survey in a single night represents another potential source of error.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
N8 said:
By Richard Morin

A majority of Americans initially support a controversial National Security Agency program to collect information on telephone calls made in the United States in an effort to identify and investigate potential terrorist threats, according to a Washington Post-ABC News poll.

The new survey found that 63 percent of Americans said they found the NSA program to be an acceptable way to investigate terrorism, including 44 percent who strongly endorsed the effort. Another 35 percent said the program was unacceptable, which included 24 percent who strongly objected to it.

A slightly larger majority--66 percent--said they would not be bothered if NSA collected records of personal calls they had made, the poll found.

Underlying those views is the belief that the need to investigate terrorism outweighs privacy concerns. According to the poll, 65 percent of those interviewed said it was more important to investigate potential terrorist threats "even if it intrudes on privacy." Three in 10--31 percent--said it was more important for the federal government not to intrude on personal privacy, even if that limits its ability to investigate possible terrorist threats.

Half--51 percent--approved of the way President Bush was handling privacy matters.

The survey results reflect initial public reaction to the NSA program. Those views that could change or deepen as more details about the effort become known over the next few days.

USA Today disclosed in its Thursday editions the existence of the massive domestic intelligence-gathering program. The effort began soon after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. Since then, the agency began collecting call records on tens of millions of personal and business telephone calls made in the United States. Agency personnel reportedly analyze those records to identify suspicious calling patterns but do not listen in on or record individual telephone conversations.

Word of the program sparked immediate criticism on Capitol Hill, where Democrats and Republicans criticized the effort as a threat to privacy and called for congressional inquiries to learn more about the operation. In the survey, big majorities of Republicans and political independents said they found the program to be acceptable while Democrats were split.

President Bush made an unscheduled appearance yesterday before White House reporters to defend his administration's efforts to investigate terrorism and criticize public disclosure of secret intelligence operations. But he did not directly acknowledge the existence of the NSA records-gathering program or answer reporters' questions about it.

By a 56 percent to 42 percent margin, Americans said it was appropriate for the news media to have disclosed the existence of this secret government program.

A total of 502 randomly selected adults were interviewed Thursday night for this survey. Margin of sampling error is five percentage points for the overall results. The practical difficulties of doing a survey in a single night represents another potential source of error.
Baaaaaa....

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
Changleen said:
Yes, but you can't marry Dolphins yet, so you're sh1t out of luck.
you like dolphins?
I noticed you had one on your shirt
I can make you into dolphin
a full dolphinoplasty is just what you need

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
N8 said:
By Richard Morin

this poll should have been conducted after sunday, so that pastors nationwide could tell their congregations what to think of this issue