Quantcast

Yeah for new toys! - Part 2 (supplement)

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I just rebuilt my 575 (Yeah for new toys - Part 2) after my fork's compression decided to commit seppuku. Given that it hadn't been maintained all that much over the winter I figured I'd break it down to the frame and give it some love.

Seen with its siblings

At the same time I was cleaning it up, I went through my box of parts to find what upgrades I could give it.

In my box of parts I found:
New SRAM X9 10-speed rear derailluer
Yeti/DT Swiss 12mm rear axle conversion kit
12mm Hope Bulb rear hub conversion kit
New ODI Ruffian grips with locks

Given that I had the 10-speed derailluer, I clearly needed to convert over. So I bought a new chain, cassette, chainring and shifter to complete the set. *Just an fyi, 10sp rear derailluers are NOT compatible with 9sp shifters.*

I thought it would be a good time to install the 12mm rear axle kit that is available on the 575. I have heard from others who have switched from QR to the 12mm that the change in stiffness is amazing. So I pulled apart the rear hub to service and change the axle.

I had been having some problems keeping traction on my rear tire, so I decided to replace the horrific Crossmark I had previously bought. The Maxxis Advantage 2.4 UST looked so good that I bought two.

After a few problems involving copious amounts of Stan's spilled all over my deck I was able to get my rear Advantage bead set with my floor pump. Once I got it mounted into the frame, new information was brought to my attention. That being that the 2.4 Advantage is *actually* a 2.4, which is the first time I have ever seen that. It also have a much taller sidewall than the High Roller.

Once I swapped my front and rear tires, I was able to get the wheels mounted and my new gearing dialed.

All in it weighs in at 32#, which isn't bad given that it's a trail bike for a 230# gorilla. The new front tire definitely added some weight, but it's not too noticeable in my parking lot test. I still need to get my suspension dialed, but I have a ride in the morning during which I can screw around with it.

Setup

Frame: 2011 Yeti 575 - White (XL)
Fork: 2010 Fox 36 Float RC2 - set to 145mm
Headset: King 1.125" Upper Cup / Cane Creek 1.5" Zerostack Lower Cup
Stem: Thomson 90mm
Bars: Easton Carbon Monkeylite DH
Grips: ODI Ruffian
Seatpost: Thomson Elite
Saddle: WTB Laser Ti
Brakes: Avid Juicy 7 185mm F / 165mm R
Shifter (R): Sram X9 10sp
Derailleur (R): Sram X9 10sp
Crank/BB: Shimano XT - 32 tooth - 175mm
Guide: e.13 LG1
Wheels: Hope Pro 2 - Mavic 819 (R), Hope Bulb - Mavic 819 (F)
Tires: Maxxis High Roller 2.35 Tubeless (R), Maxxis Advantage 2.4 Tubeless (F)
Pedals: Shimano XT
Chain: Sram 1090
Cassette: Sram 1070

Since I initially built up the bike I have made a few small changes, but the biggest by far is removing the Crank Bros Joplin 4R seat post I was running. While I love the ability to adjust the post on the fly, it was so unreliable (blew after first ride and could not keep seat clamped in place) that I had to get rid of it. Thankfully JonKranked weighs a solid 40# less than I do, so he took it off my hands and has been problem free. Once I can stomach ponying up another $300 for a dropper seat post, I will definitely get another though.

I pillaged my DJ for some of the cockpit parts, so that will be getting rebuilt as well. I have a the new parts on order for my DJ and DH (which you can see in the background) so I will be updating their threads soon.

Yeah for new toys - Part 3
Yeah for new toys - Part 1

Last edited:

ryanxj

Chimp
Apr 27, 2006
Whats with your seat angle?

And what do you mean you seatpost 'blew' after first ride?

After a few months, my Joplin slowly took a **** on me but a quick recharge with the shock pump and all is back to normal, fwiw...

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I had spine surgery a few years ago and my lower back to hip region doesn't bend correctly. I need to do that to keep the boys from going numb.

And it literally took a isht. Puked up oil and the seals blew about halfway down Downieville. Crank Bros repaired it under warranty after the initial blow. Afterwards the seat clamp would not stay in place and constantly rotated upwards. It didn't matter if I roughed up the interface or anything. It just wouldn't stay in place.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
lol at DT Swiss skewer on Hope hub
Yeti sends the conversion kit with the DT Swiss axle.

JohnE said:
I have a Joplin 4...not too stoked about it. Just isnt as kuhl as I thought it would be...are you guys sold on them?
Totally sold. The Joplin is just garbage.

I also just got back from the first ride. The 12mm rear axle is noticeably stiffer and having that extra gear was clutch when climbing (read I'm out of shape).

I am still working on the suspension and cannot get the fork setup right. I am running 50% of Fox's suggested PSI and am finding the travel barely moving. When I go down to the suggested weight to a 150# rider I get good travel, but even with compression adjustments I am not getting a good feeling fork. It's almost worth going to a race to have Fox help set it up...

I also just discovered that there a levels of propedal! Level 2 for me! This makes a huge difference in climbing. I tried level 3 but it chattered on downhills when I didn't turn the propedal off. I might try 3 now that I have let extra air out of the tires.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Nice ride!!!

So has anyone come out with a 150mm dropper post yet? I know there was talk of a KS one, but no new info yet, so I assume it isn't out.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Nice rig! I wish I could justify the cost of that frame, a great build overall and I'm half the gorilla I was last year.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
I understand the dynamics of having the bike fit you for your situation Joker but my taint hurts just looking at that thing. Nice ride.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I understand the dynamics of having the bike fit you for your situation Joker but my taint hurts just looking at that thing. Nice ride.
I made some adjustments today and pushed the seat about an inch forward. I was able to level it out some too, but it still looks funky.

I'm going for ride #2 with Wifey in a few. Hopefully I can get some more dial-in done.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
That's a hell of a collection you have there, very nice.

Sidenote... after riding 29ers for 2 years, regular bikes look so strange to me.
My CX/touring bike is in the storage unit too. The ASR is Wifey's, but I wouldn't mind having a true XC bike. I'd love to get an ARC, but I think my head would explode. Also, I can't throw down for another $1800 bike at this point in time.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Just got back from ride #2, this one with Wifey. She just finished the loop at our local trail the first time. ~8 miles of moderate terrain with a few notable climbs.

I was able to get the suspension dialed in even more and did hers too. I did find that the 12mm axle likes to come loose though! I tightened the isht out of it this last time, so hopefully it stays.