Quantcast

Year One of HexY3

dirtvictim

Chimp
Aug 22, 2009
Well it's been a year since the introduction of the HexY3 and it has been slow going. I have ticked off some of the competition though and that is a good thing. I have moved it into the motorcycle and auto markets as well so it looks like it will continue to move forward with no challenge to my patent. I will be working on a limited edition in titanium after the first of the year.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
The part that kills it for me is the set screw (I'm assuming) holding the different drivers in place. A detent/ball plunger system would make it much more appealing.

That and lack of organization/storage of drivers/bits. Would be nice if everything snapped together somehow for storage and transport.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
yeah, i clickity clicked around the website a bit, but i wasn't sure if there was anything that had been discussed here on the monkey. guess not. it looks like a fine idea, but from the sounds of it, there may be some room for improvement.

dirtvictim

Chimp
Aug 22, 2009
I see this did post. I was trying to put the pic on and lost connection earlier (thanks IH8Rice).
I posted on this long ago but recall a fair amount of usless banter so I pulled it, in retrospect I should have just left it and not let it get to me.

Yep the original design calls for ball detent but I simply couldn't afford to add $7 more to the handle cost at least not right now.
The problem with a project like this is to make any money you have to buy in quantity, usually in the thousands and in some cases pallet lot and I am not too proud to say I don't have that kind of money, I am saddened to say it though.

What I have done for now is produce a quantity of the custom handles and as orders come in I buy the necessary components and put the kit together.
As you can imagine I make no profit doing it this way but I am convinced that this is a great system with unlimited expansion potential.

Thanks guys I appreciate all input

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
well either way, its nice to see someone manufacturer and market something they created.

im sure you must be proud of something that you invented

dirtvictim

Chimp
Aug 22, 2009
well either way, its nice to see someone manufacturer and market something they created.

im sure you must be proud of something that you invented
It has been a long process and even though it's slow going and less than profitable so far, I am still happy with the overall product and quality I was able to maintain.

Thanks

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I will be working on a limited edition in titanium after the first of the year.

Yep the original design calls for ball detent but I simply couldn't afford to add $7 more to the handle cost at least not right now.
What's the difference in price increase between the original and ball detent design vs. original and titanium version?

The detent idea is a design change worth pursuing..........the titanium handle is not.

dirtvictim

Chimp
Aug 22, 2009
It can be kind of nerve wracking huh? I currently have a few pending, they're all work related, but still.
Yea it is I spent months doing my own patent research just to see if anything was close cause it seems to take forever to get feedback.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yea it is I spent months doing my own patent research just to see if anything was close cause it seems to take forever to get feedback.
It's kind of absurd how long the whole process takes. Where I work (a medical device and diagnostics company), patents are crucial to our business's success, so we have a whole department of people dedicated just to patent research and filing.

dirtvictim

Chimp
Aug 22, 2009
What's the difference in price increase between the original and ball detent design vs. original and titanium version?

The detent idea is a design change worth pursuing..........the titanium handle is not.
You are right, I just though Ti would be cool but I should focus on the ball detent.
Aarg darn logic. It still will have to wait til after tax time.

dirtvictim

Chimp
Aug 22, 2009
It's kind of absurd how long the whole process takes. Where I work (a medical device and diagnostics company), patents are crucial to our business's success, so we have a whole department of people dedicated just to patent research and filing.
Medical is a whole other realm. Lots of titanium used there. There was something medical related in my search some sort of square bit driver, but it was so far removed it didn't matter.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA

dirtvictim

Chimp
Aug 22, 2009
http://www.mcmaster.com/#9139k691/=4yj34v

http://www.mcmaster.com/#8975k313/=4yj3he

Mill finish 6061 vs. grade 2 Ti (same size raw stock) for price comparison....

Stick with alum handles.:thumb:
Thanks for the slap on the back o' the noggin. Had not yet priced out the Ti, yea way more by a long shot like a 308 compared to a 45cal. Production costs would be 60% more as well based on my calcs for labor and bit wear.
Laser cut 1/2" thick titanium plate, what the heck was I thinkin? Forgetaboutit. But I really wanted titanium :(
Ok back to reality and back to the QR system and maybe color anodizing at least it's pretty cheap to do.

total heckler- that could have been me 25 yrs ago but way better looking.