Quantcast

Yes....Im asking a hope question

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
So the hardtail buildup is drawing very near and i am questioning brake choice. Im going rear brake only for right now. This is going to be an average weight HT and going to be used on dirt jumps and urban assualt, no long descents. so my question is, will a 200mm Mono Mini work good and provide ample power or would a 180 or 200mm Mono 4 be better.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
ViolentVolante said:
So the hardtail buildup is drawing very near and i am questioning brake choice. Im going rear brake only for right now. This is going to be an average weight HT and going to be used on dirt jumps and urban assualt, no long descents. so my question is, will a 200mm Mono Mini work good and provide ample power or would a 180 or 200mm Mono 4 be better.
power with a rear brake? Sure I guess...usually they lock up pretty well...even 6" hayes rears lock up fine...

modulation with a rear brake? lol....

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
The cheapest of freebie V-brakes provides enough power for urban and DJ. Get the 6" Mini if you have to go disc.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Just go 180 front 160 rear with a Mini, it will be fine. If you find that you're having trouble slowing down your mach speed after those huge curb drops get the 20mm adaptor and go with the 180 for the rear.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I'd get the biggest rotors available. If you decide there's too much power don't squeeze so hard. It's alot cheaper to buy one rotor and adaptor than to have to buy two. Of course given your track record you'll replace the rotors and adaptors in a couple weeks no matter what you buy.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
For dj and urban just get a 160mm avid cable disc and run a gyro. It'll be cheaper, easier to work on, a smaller rotor is less likely to get in the way or get bent, and you can bar spin all day while yelling "DON'T BUY HOPES!!"

:evil: :p

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
OGRipper said:
For dj and urban just get a 160mm avid cable disc and run a gyro. It'll be cheaper, easier to work on, a smaller rotor is less likely to get in the way or get bent, and you can bar spin all day while yelling "DON'T BUY HOPES!!"

slit his throat brian :cool:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
OGRipper said:

I know that was a misprint right? :nope:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
HT0999 In Stock?

From BTI's site:

Manufacturer: Hope - (Part No. HBIS40)
Description: Rotor 40mm upgrade adapter, IS-Caliper
Remarks: - Allows for the use of a 40mm larger rotor when mated with a 51mm (International-Standard) Hope #3, #5, or #8 caliper brake system
- Rotor sold separately

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Quote: "I know that was a misprint right?"

Nah, just a little bored today, decided to chime in with my little contribution to the endless stream of crap you take for your devotion to hope.

We need someone to abuse since Acadian got rid of his boxxer, don't ya think?

:D