Quantcast

yet another Marzocchi oil volume thread...

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
So my buddy and I both have '07 66 rc2x's. He sent his in to get "the works" and they put a sticker on his steerer that said they put in 207cc's of oil. I recently changed my oil and put in 190cc's. That let me use about 5" of my travel. I did some searching and came up the the 80mm oil height number, that has worked great . 80mm is probably about 160-170cc's though. What is going on here? I'm seriously lost.

The only thing I can come up with is that Marzocchi operates in the 4th dimension also, and that is where some of the oil is escaping to. Something to do with a flux capacitor.

Hit me with some knowledge.

Apr 28, 2006
North White Plains, NY
190cc is a measurement of volume, not height. It would be the same with springs in or out. As for how much oil, it may actually take 207cc's of oil. When you changed the oil, if you didn't remove the cartridge rods and cycle them, it's possible that there was 40-60cc of oil left in them (which would explain why ~160cc's of oil seemed to work).

Hopefully that's what happened because otherwise I think your fourth dimension theory works best. Either that or Marzocchi has redefined what a cubic centimeter is, which to me is more disturbing than oil going to a forth dimension.

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
haha ok.

I didn't cycle the cartridges a lot of times, but definately a few. Maybe there was still a little in there. Yet another buddy with a 66 pulled his out and cycled them when changing the oil and had the exact same problem as me.

Everyone says "Marzocchi ships low on oil". I'm inclined to believe now though that they ship them with the correct amount of oil and tell you to put more in than physics allows for.

Anyone else? Perhaps we need to steal a graduated cylinder from Marzocchi headquarters.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I'm interested in the level for this fork ('07 RC2X) as well. My fork sounds dry. I need to play with it more, I guess.

toby