Yet another sunday question, DW/Todd please help

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
I hope someone here can help me.
http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=view&image=450675
(thanks for the pic luc)
The pivot as drawn on above link is concerning me.

I have a sunday factory frame and the pivot above is not tightening completely the bolts have a deffanite "stop" when I am tightening.
The axle that the bearings run on is not sticking out too much as I had thought it might be and the bolts are not too long.
There is zero play in the pivot and holding the wheel and the wrenching it side to side I can detect zero play so I think it is tightening up ok but the bolt and bearing cap seem to spin on the bearing.
does this make sence?

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
klunky said:
I hope someone here can help me.
http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=view&image=450675
(thanks for the pic luc)
The pivot as drawn on above link is concerning me.

I have a sunday factory frame and the pivot above is not tightening completely the bolts have a deffanite "stop" when I am tightening.
The axle that the bearings run on is not sticking out too much as I had thought it might be and the bolts are not too long.
There is zero play in the pivot and holding the wheel and the wrenching it side to side I can detect zero play so I think it is tightening up ok but the bolt and bearing cap seem to spin on the bearing.
does this make sence?
Why not just call Iron Horse? They made the frame.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Sorry for the delayed response. I have been travelling today. The most efficient and correct way to get "official" tech advise for bikes is thru 1) your dealer 2) your distributor 3) the company directly. As much as we all would like to, dw, Dante, & myself (as well as reps for other companies) can't always jump in to rescue people or provide immediate responses for people's inquiries. We come here first and foremost as riders and racers, secondly as ambassadors for our respective companies. Please understand this.

So, onto your tech question. Without seeing your bike firsthand and in the flesh I can't say anything definitive but, I am pretty sure that what you have going on is the nifty pivot cap widget thing is just spinning on the bolt a little. As long as the pivot is tight and the bolts aren't loosening I don't think it'll be a worry. The bike uses Enduro Max sealed bearings. They are good stuff so all should be sound. I'll be sure to check Acadian's bike out at the Otter and if I see anything amiss I'll let ya know.

-ska todd

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Thanks Todd. I know the correct procedure and you will probably recieve an email (which can be ignored now) today from my inside man at I.H. The reason I posted in here is the bike is for a team guy leaving for a race this morning at 7.00am I was still building the bike at 11.00pm. I wanted an answer as fast as possible and this seemed to be the best way of doing it.
I am no 1 and 2 in your list of help so I had to try alternative methods :D
I realise fully that this is not the correct way to look for help but it worked so a big thumbs up to you Todd :thumb:

On the up side I rode the bike last night and all I can say is you have to try this thing to believe it. Seriously. Im not going to use any cliche "pedals like hard tail" crap that people write when they bought a new big hit. Just test ride one you owe it to your self to get on one and pedal it.

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
rockwool said:
How is that DW/balfa 2 step suspension, progressive?

i assume you missed the post about that the other day...the two bikes are only similar in appearance. The two suspensions ride completely different. If you want the skinny on the dw link do a search for dw's posts from the past few weeks. i think he explained it. otherwise hopefully www.dw-link.com will be back up and running soon.