Quantcast

Yet another Tazer death

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
I know this is kicking a dead horse, but here you go. Poor 20 year old "good kid" dead in Maryland.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/11/19/taser.death/index.html
(CNN) -- Friends and family identified the 20-year-old Frederick, Maryland, man who died after police used a Taser stun gun on him Sunday morning, according to a local television station.

Jarrel Gray, 20, died after police used a Taser gun on him Sunday morning, family and friends say.

1 of 2 The man, who friends and family identified as Jarrel Gray, was involved in a fight at an apartment complex about 5 a.m. Sunday, police said. Authorities have not released Gray's name.

"I haven't heard anything except that he's gone," Troy Thomas told WJLA-TV. Thomas, who said he was Gray's uncle, told the television station, "I lost my best friend."

Cassandra Rollings, a friend of the family, appeared at the apartment complex where Gray died, holding a large photo of the young man wearing a tie. Gray was a "very good kid," Rollings said.

Deputies responded Sunday morning to a report of a fight at an apartment complex and found four people in a scuffle, Cpl. Jennifer Bailey of the Frederick County Sheriff's Office said Sunday.

Eric Cargenas, a man who lives in the apartment complex and said he saw the fight, told WJLA that two people started fighting after a yelling match.

A deputy used a Taser on Gray, who fell unconscious, Bailey said. He was taken to Frederick Memorial Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

His body was taken to the medical examiner's office in Baltimore for an autopsy. The results of some tests could take several weeks, according to an office spokeswoman.

Don't Miss
Man dies after stun-gun jolt
Man's stun gun death caught on tape
Woman says she didn't deserve Taser treatment
TIME.com: Are Tasers being overused?
Baltimore is about 50 miles east of Frederick.

The sheriff's office has not publicly identified the deputy who allegedly used the Taser, but Bailey said the deputy was placed on administrative leave with pay while authorities investigate the incident.

Since June 2001, more than 150 people have died in the United States after being subdued with stun guns, according to Amnesty International, which has called for police departments to suspend use of the devices pending study of their possible risks.

More than 7,000 of the nation's 18,000 law enforcement agencies use the devices, Amnesty says.

Recent deaths involving Taser devices have received much publicity. Last month, a police officer at Vancouver International Airport in British Columbia, Canada, used a Taser gun on a 40-year-old man making his first airplane trip outside Poland. He died.

In a statement released Friday, Taser International cited the Vancouver case and said it "appears to follow the pattern of many in-custody deaths or deaths following a confrontation with police. Historically, medical science and forensic analysis has shown that these deaths are attributable to other factors and not the low-energy electrical discharge of the Taser."

A bystander's video of the October 14 incident in Vancouver shows the victim continuing to struggle after being shot with the device.

Taser International said on its Web site that the struggle "is proof that the Taser device was not the cause of his death." Cardiac arrest caused by electrical current would have caused immediate death, the company said.

"We are taken aback by the number of media outlets that have irresponsibly published conclusive headlines blaming the Taser device and/or the law enforcement officers involved as the cause of death before completion of the investigation," said Tom Smith, the company's founder and chairman of the board.

But Amnesty International, noting that coroners have determined Tasers were a contributing factor in more than 30 deaths, said such a link cannot be ruled out.

The devices use compressed nitrogen to shoot two probes -- connected to the device by wire -- up to 35 feet at speeds exceeding 100 mph.

An electrical signal transmitted through the wires contacts the body or clothing, "resulting in an immediate loss of the person's neuromuscular control and the ability to perform coordinated action for the duration of the impulse," according to the company. E-mail to a friend

All About TASER International Inc. • Police • Amnesty International

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Forgive my ignorance on the subject. The group touts the taser as giving off a "low energy discharge" in disputing taser-relating deaths. However, that low energy discharge can easily down a man that weighs the same as a hippo. Right.

Interesting and sad.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The name of this forum needs to be changed to Politics, World News & Deadly Tazer Incident Forum. Maybe a whole tazer forum is in order.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
High Volt, Low Amperage is probably their comeback to that.
Ahh, even more interesting. I have to admit that my knowledge of electricity (other than the simple basics) is also lacking.

Defibrillators are not crazy powerful either, are they? I recall hearing or reading that somewhere, but a brief 45 second Google search can't confirm it.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Volts are necessary to overcome the body's natural resistance. Amps do the killing.

amps and volts are a multiplier of each other in overcoming resistance, so even low volt, 10amps will toast you.

I don't remember the formulas from school, but ya need to look at all variables when talking about it, in addition to a person's natural resistance. If someone's covered in water, they're fvcked.

If someone's got a rubber vest on, a tazer will do nothing if it hits the rubber.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Random electricity quote:

How many times have your heard that it's not the volts that'll kill you, but the amps?

Ohm's Law:

V = IR
In plain English: volts (V) equals current (I) times resistance (R). So, assuming resistance is constant, voltage and current are in lockstep. As one goes up, so does the other, and vice versa. You can't have a lot of amps without a lot of volts.
Just for the record it takes 100mA to stop your heart.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle

I always figured that 110v (standard wall power) hurt but I'd live (I've had a few experiences and I'm still alive)....220 would very likely put you down for a few....

However, with 110v wall power you're looking at 15 amps or so....well...jack up the voltage 10 fold and it don't matter if it's 3 or 25 amps...you gonna hurt...I thought that was pretty common sense...but I guess that's just me....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I always figured that 110v (standard wall power) hurt but I'd live (I've had a few experiences and I'm still alive)....220 would very likely put you down for a few....

However, with 110v wall power you're looking at 15 amps or so....well...jack up the voltage 10 fold and it don't matter if it's 3 or 25 amps...you gonna hurt...I thought that was pretty common sense...but I guess that's just me....
I've taken a shock from a 480V 30A service through the armpit. Luckily I had on rubber soled shoes and was standing on thick carpet with thick padding. A color blind electrician wired up power to the ground lug on an electrical cabinet at a trade show. The fuses never blew because the cabinet was still turned off and locked out. The chrome bolt I leaned against had full juice going to it. I drank heavily that evening.

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
Close, but not exactly. FWIW, I studied electronics in college, but found it rather simplistic and switched into IT. L'Ooopie's closest to right on the equations.

This website:
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-ohm.htm does a good job of showing all the various equations.

However, L'Ooopie is wrong about the water and rubber.

Water is a good conductor because it has a low resistance, but it does nothing to change your own resistance. Because tasers fire barbs into the victim, outside resistance is irrelevant.

Rubber is a good insulator because it has a high resistance. If the barbs penetrate the rubber layer, the resistance of the rubber again becomes irrelevant. If the barbs embed into the rubber, but do not penetrate it, there would need to be a high level of current (amperage, or I in the equation) to overcome the resistance of the rubber. At a high enough level of current, even rubber can be overcome, but I am fairly certain that tasers do not produce a high amperage jolt.

Transcend's quote:
You can't have a lot of amps without a lot of volts.
is not exactly true because at low resistance and low voltage you can have a lot of amperage. It depends upon the 4th variable missing from the source you quoted... Power.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA

just for the record around 1985 a nuke ET in the navy killed himself by putting a multimeter on reistance mode and stabbing the probes into his finger tips....the multimeter put out 30 volts, and with no skin reistance it was enough to kill him going directly across his heart

A taser as I remember uses an extremely low current, a few milli-amps so it's almost impossible for it to kill someone from stopping their heart. The probes also hit a couple of inches apart, and almost none of the current travels through the heart.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Taser international can lick my electrified balls.

Yes 'other factors' can contribute but the fact remains in these cases: no tazer = no death.

Smith and wesson should come out with a PR campaign claiming deaths from their bullets were due to 'other factors' such as 'poor clotting'.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
just for the record around 1985 a nuke ET in the navy killed himself by putting a multimeter on reistance mode and stabbing the probes into his finger tips....the multimeter put out 30 volts, and with no skin reistance it was enough to kill him going directly across his heart

A taser as I remember uses an extremely low current, a few milli-amps so it's almost impossible for it to kill someone from stopping their heart. The probes also hit a couple of inches apart, and almost none of the current travels through the heart.
Ya I have read that about the navy guy. He was using the MM to measure his own resistance with a 9v battery. The inside of you is a much better conductor than skin.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Taser international can lick my electrified balls.

Yes 'other factors' can contribute but the fact remains in these cases: no tazer = no death.

Smith and wesson should come out with a PR campaign claiming deaths from their bullets were due to 'other factors' such as 'poor clotting'.
I hope you remember that when the cop pulls out his 9mm, misses and the stray bullets hit you instead.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
The name of this forum needs to be changed to Politics, World News & Deadly Tazer Incident Forum. Maybe a whole tazer forum is in order.
how 'bout women in combat tazing michael vick's harbls on bogey's bday?

more porridge:

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA

But the taser puts a resistor in series with your body.

I had a physics prof put 10,000 volts through me, but in series with a 1 mega-ohm resistor. It was a sharp tickle.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Anyone who use a tazer on a 9 month pregnant woman should have his balls tazed at a minimum.
Yeah well that pregnant mom should think about that when she gets hit in the fetus with a stray RPG that ricochets off her other kids head and then bores to the center of the earth and ends humanity instead of being on the recieving end of the 100% proven safe for all of the population tazer that is placed only in the hands of the most mature, level headed and reasonable law enforcement officers.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Yeah well that pregnant mom should think about that when she gets hit in the fetus with a stray RPG that ricochets off her other kids head and then bores to the center of the earth and ends humanity instead of being on the recieving end of the 100% proven safe for all of the population tazer that is placed only in the hands of the most mature, level headed and reasonable law enforcement officers.
You're being sarcastic, right?

:p

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I've taken a shock from a 480V 30A service through the armpit. Luckily I had on rubber soled shoes and was standing on thick carpet with thick padding. A color blind electrician wired up power to the ground lug on an electrical cabinet at a trade show. The fuses never blew because the cabinet was still turned off and locked out. The chrome bolt I leaned against had full juice going to it. I drank heavily that evening.
Ow.