Quantcast

Yeti 303 ´08 broken bikes?

Jul 19, 2005
Manizales, COLOMBIA
Colombian DHer posted on yetifan.com forum saying that they will not honour the warranty because he was using a wrong bike rack to hold the bike.

WTF???????/

Full post here: http://yetifancom.proboards56.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=379&page=1

His own words:
"This happened to my YETI 303... This bike has just 6 months since I bought it. I asked YETI about the warranty and they didnt want to replace the front triangle since they said that was my fault. They say that happened because of transportation problems, but how can that happen if I use the THULE 918 HITCH RACK? At the begging it was just a bend in that place but time went by and it started to break itself. There are two 303 bikes here in COLOMBIA and both of them are just like that... Now I dont know what to do, i'm an active racer and I dont know if YETI will do something for me... THEY DONT REPLY ANY EMAIL, THEY DONT CALL ME BACK... IM COMPLETELY DISSAPOINTED WITH YETI COLORADO... IF I KNEW THIS WAS GOING TO HAPPEN, I WOULDNT HAVE BOUGHT IT, AND I WOULDNT HAVE RECOMMENDED YETI AS ONE OF THE BEST BRANDS IN THE BIKE MANUFACTURING WORLD.

Nowadays, in Colombia yeti is recognized as the worst company since they make weak bicycles and the warranty they offer is completely false."

it aint my post, that is my friend who posted it directly, I proudly own a Santa Cruz V10 and everytime i´ve had problems with it, they´ve helped me so no complaints. Riding them since `04. I just posted this because my friends first words to Yeti were returned as if they had the fault of it being damaged, I just wanted Yeti to see it wasnt their fault, because i can assure you they are riden normally and never hit something in that place, even though i dont ride Yeti I respect them a lot, and posted this as a way of helping not to destroy or make a bad reputation of the company.

Last edited:

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
I think that it is fine as long as they do not develop cracks.
It's a $3800 frame. It absolutely is NOT fine. If I bought one and it was not replaced for free and without hassle it would be the last Yeti I ever bought.

If stresses are high enough that the aluminum plastically deforms, it will crack due to fatigue (much) sooner rather than later.

I'm sure Yeti is a great company, blah , blah, blah, but a f-up is a f-up.

edit: just read its handled as a crash replacemement, pro rated... that's f-ed and I'll never buy a Yeti. Sorry, but there's a lot of choice out there. Yeti needs to man up and deal with it.

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Even if it's structurally sound and the dimple causes no performance issues, it's still not acceptable to just have a dimple show up in the middle of your frame and not have it replaced. This doesn't make me feel great about just buying a 303R.

edit: Thankfully Yeti does replace them

Last edited:

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
As far as I know now, Yeti has begun replacing these frames under warranty. If I owned one, I'd be trying to get a warranty replacement. I know Yeti has been warrantying The 303's ridden by the RPM/Yeti team. I'd assume they would take care of any 303 owner as well.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Even if it's structurally sound and the dimple causes no performance issues, it's still not acceptable to just have a dimple show up in the middle of your frame and not have it replaced. This doesn't make me feel great about just buying a 303R.
There is absolutely nothing to worry about on your 303R. I have had mine since the day it came out and have ridden/raced it pretty hard with absolutely no problems.

Yeti is taking care of the 303 issue. For the people on here that don't have one and still bashing on Yeti blindly, do a little more research and discuss this with Yeti before buying to stomp all internet rumors.

If you still do not want to buy a Yeti then go with another one of the 50+ companies out there, it is your decision.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
Don't need to own a Yeti to have an opinion on your tt starting to fold in half...

This was in the classified a few posts up:

Yeti has told us that they will handle it under the "crash replacement" policy. They will replace the front triangle of the frame at a pro rated replacement cost depending on the age of the frame at the time.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Don't need to own a Yeti to have an opinion on your tt starting to fold in half...

This was in the classified a few posts up:

Yeti has told us that they will handle it under the "crash replacement" policy. They will replace the front triangle of the frame at a pro rated replacement cost depending on the age of the frame at the time.
Meaning that if you have an '06/'07 frame you will get an '09 front triangle for a steal. I am more than positive that when they got the front triangle in their hands, they can judge wether it was a crash or the frame buckling issue and reimburse you accordingly.

Most companies will not just send a new front triangle for free, if they do then please list the names.

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Meaning that if you have an '06/'07 frame you will get an '09 front triangle for a steal. I am more than positive that when they got the front triangle in their hands, they can judge wether it was a crash or the frame buckling issue and reimburse you accordingly.

Most companies will not just send a new front triangle for free, if they do then please list the names.
Once upon a time when I worked in the bike industry, Specialized was always great about no hassle, free of charge frame replacements in a timely manner.

In my opinion a dimpled frame should be replaced free of charge. If that's what Yeti is doing - great; they should be.

FYI, if you look at the postings above regarding the frames being sold, they are 08 frames, not 06/07.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Once upon a time when I worked in the bike industry, Specialized was always great about no hassle, free of charge frame replacements in a timely manner.

In my opinion a dimpled frame should be replaced free of charge. If that's what Yeti is doing - great; they should be.

FYI, if you look at the postings above regarding the frames being sold, they are 08 frames, not 06/07.
My apologies, '08 was supposed to be on that list.

06/07/08 frames.

I am not speaking for Yeti and I am in no way affiliated with them in this matter. This is based off of personal experiences.

LittleBIGjumP

Monkey
Jul 15, 2006
Gold Coast OZ
Hi,

Well about a 2 months ago, I noticed the same dimple- got in contact with Yeti here and went through the regular paper work stuff, And I have a brand new front end. 100% Free, The guys here even did the swap over for it.

I too was dumb founded as to how it happened as I had no huge front on crashes etc. But Yeti where great and I would get another any time.

P.S. When this post first started I could not believe it was true, then it happened to me, crazy.

Regards,

LBJ

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Hi,

Well about a 2 months ago, I noticed the same dimple- got in contact with Yeti here and went through the regular paper work stuff, And I have a brand new front end. 100% Free, The guys here even did the swap over for it.

I too was dumb founded as to how it happened as I had no huge front on crashes etc. But Yeti where great and I would get another any time.

P.S. When this post first started I could not believe it was true, then it happened to me, crazy.

Regards,

LBJ
That's great to hear especially from someone from Australia.

Good on you.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Wow, to think they're even considering NOT providing an outstanding warranty on an almost ~$4k frame is pretty ridiculous. Shouldn't have to be forced into it through internet bombardment or just tons of people with the same problem.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Wow, to think they're even considering NOT providing an outstanding warranty on an almost ~$4k frame is pretty ridiculous. Shouldn't have to be forced into it through internet bombardment or just tons of people with the same problem.
Just like you shouldn't have to with Intense or Giant or Orange or Kona or... I think that the only real company that will just toss you a new frame is Specialized.

AlCapone

Monkey
Apr 5, 2009
North Bend, WA
Just like you shouldn't have to with Intense or Giant or Orange or Kona or... I think that the only real company that will just toss you a new frame is Specialized.
Trek used to be really good about warranties until the Session 88 came about. My friend snapped the stays on his Session 77 and had new ones within a week and a half, free of charge.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Giant and Kona have both been pretty good in terms of warranty, and neither one are top dollar frames. Both I've noticed to be pretty dang close to Specialized in that department.

Intense....hit or miss. The company is either way up or way down, and that decides if you're getting hooked up or not when you need some warranty help.

Orange, no idea really. The only encounters I've heard about were years ago, and those were positive, but still had to be shipping things overseas and waiting for customs.

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
Norco just sent more than 1400 front triangles out to replace possible headtube issues. Yet of the 40+ bikes I have sold I had not seen one issue first hand. Yeti could learn a thing or two from norco and issue a recall on what is an obvious fault.

Ride it till it cracks is not really good enough.

Sshields32

Monkey
Mar 7, 2008
Warwick, NY
Im fairly surprised, after reading through this thread, that a company such as yeti with such a huge reputation hasnt recalled the bikes with these problems. Even if they have tested it with the dimple and there were no different results, if the frames are cracking due to this, they should either warranty them, without a question, or just recall them.