Quantcast

Yeti 303 DH - Now with more ugly!

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
looking through Dylan Dean's website and stumbled over these 2 pictures of the new Yeti DH bike. i didn't know the top tube split right before the seat tube.

could they make it a little uglier? PPLLEEEAASSSEEEE! i've already heard the 'rumors' about it being something ridiculous like 50-some pounds. any input?

Attachments

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
Yeah I was kind of surprised about that too when I first saw it out at bootleg over spring break -- Houseman and some others were there testing for Fox. I disagree with you about the ugliness though -- I used to hate the paintjob, but it completely grew on me. Frame design is just... well, I have a huge respect for good engineering.

Juano

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
my hi-use
No guys :mumble: ! its a new patent they are working on, when the trail gets rough you just slip your junk in the slit so you can hold on better. Its like clipless for your nuts.

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
AlmostHeaven said:
P.S. - that helmet has my vote for the SICKEST mo-foin' paintjob i have ever seen in my short life. props to Dylan Dean AND Graves! (that helmet is probably the reason he won - wouldn't you have a little more confidence wearing that piece of art?)

Thanks, but that's actually a stock TLD helmet for '06. no paint at all....all graphics.

BTW, asked Jared about the weight issues this past weekend in New Mexico. He said the bike is a bit heavy, but when you ride, you don't feel the weight. Normally i wouldn't believe a person when they say this, but Jared isnt' a big guy....he's actually pretty small compared to a lot of his competition....but he rips & throws that bike around like it's nothing! not to mention he won Deer Valley NCS & came in 2nd at the World Cup in New Mex....so i actually believe him when he says this.

His bike weights in at 46lbs

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
DylanDeanDesign said:
Thanks, but that's actually a stock TLD helmet for '06. no paint at all....all graphics.

BTW, asked Jared about the weight issues this past weekend in New Mexico. He said the bike is a bit heavy, but when you ride, you don't feel the weight. Normally i wouldn't believe a person when they say this, but Jared isnt' a big guy....he's actually pretty small compared to a lot of his competition....but he rips & throws that bike around like it's nothing! not to mention he won Deer Valley NCS & came in 2nd at the World Cup in New Mex....so i actually believe him when he says this.

His bike weights in at 46lbs
Dats ma word!

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
The paint reminds me of the old TLD schemes from back in the day... I like.

My '98 Yeti Lawwill came with a stem top cap that had "PEDAL FASTER FOOL!" engraved on it.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
how come he didn't paint the hole pink and glue hair on it? :eek:

i guess the heavy weight factor wouldn't be so bad if you had good handling skills and could work the bike the way you needed. in fact,the extra weight could probably save you momentem-wise and even out the weight penalty.

F.O.G

Monkey
Feb 8, 2005
Monterey, CA
I hate to do this because I dont have the magazine in front of me but.... in the latest issue of Dirt, there is a pick of the latest version of the 303. Yeti has added a linkage to the lower vertical car/rail to help guide the car when the bike goes through the travel. The rear triangle also seems a bit more streamlined than the on on the website whcich probably droped a few ounces less billet more tube near the rear drop out. I will scan the pic tomorrow unless someone has the pic.....

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Thats an EARLY version. ^^^^^

They had two versions of the linkages. One was on the vertical rail and the other was on the horizontal rail. I don't know which one they have decided upon. I can't wait to pedal around on one at Snowmass. I got my DH9 down to 43 pounds and I can't say that I'm stoke about a 3-4lb increase, but I'm sure Yeti will tune it in where they think it should be before production and its hard to argue with what Yeti brings to the table!

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
AlmostHeaven said:
how come he didn't paint the hole pink and glue hair on it? :eek:

i guess the heavy weight factor wouldn't be so bad if you had good handling skills and could work the bike the way you needed. in fact,the extra weight could probably save you momentem-wise and even out the weight penalty.

They're actually not exceptionally heavy compared to other frames. I spoke with a Yeti employee/engineer that's been at the MountainStateCups races and at Keystone recently on Houseman's old 1st generation 303 (just missing the upgraded link) and it actually felt just about the same as any other downhill bike. He said that the earlier versions were 12lbs and that production frames would be 11lbs.

yeti6

Chimp
Apr 16, 2005
Aus
I have just talked to Jared himself about the bike. The frames are still prototypes and getting lighter all the time. The new one that all the team will be on for Idaho this weekend is down to 44 pounds and Yeti are still working on getting it lighter. The goal is to have it down to an 11 pound frame with shock which should make it a 40 pound complete build up fairly easily.

As for the top tube, it is now necessary with the new top rail set-up for the split as it allows access to the bolts for the frames geometry adjustments.

It is not quite ready for public release yet, but it is Yeti's number one priority and nobody will be diappointed when it becomes available.

Sep 10, 2001
Remember... Someone like Big House can get away with a huge heavy frame... The guy is pretty huge and heavy himself...

Brian

tacobelldhr

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
lake forest
AlmostHeaven said:
looking through Dylan Dean's website and stumbled over these 2 pictures of the new Yeti DH bike. i didn't know the top tube split right before the seat tube.

could they make it a little uglier? PPLLEEEAASSSEEEE! i've already heard the 'rumors' about it being something ridiculous like 50-some pounds. any input?

P.S. - that helmet has my vote for the SICKEST mo-foin' paintjob i have ever seen in my short life. props to Dylan Dean AND Graves! (that helmet is probably the reason he won - wouldn't you have a little more confidence wearing that piece of art?)

you seem like your talking some sh#t thats not cool im sure you would ride one if they were tossed at you...dont be talking anystuff untill i see you make a better looking bike ! :nope:

Sep 29, 2004
tacobelldhr said:
you seem like your talking some sh#t thats not cool im sure you would ride one if they were tossed at you...dont be talking anystuff untill i see you make a better looking bike ! :nope:
i wouldn't take it so seriously...

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
tacobelldhr said:
wieght is over rated take a 3 pound sh** before you race and your bike will be light/......
judging by most of the bikes i see at races, simply showing the bike a hose would take a few pounds off.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
tacobelldhr said:
uhh...you better listen to your buddies.

for YOUR sake, i really wouldn't take it too seriously. it was a joke to begin with, you don't need to prove anything here mr. badass.

Sep 29, 2004
AlmostHeaven said:
uhh...you better listen to your buddies.

for YOUR sake, i really wouldn't take it too seriously. it was a joke to begin with, you don't need to prove anything here mr. badass.

stop fighting ur scaring the children