Quantcast

yeti 303 interview video

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Neet-o Nice find.
Them boys are sayin thet're gonna send me a 2nd generation proto to try out soon! Can't wait to ride one some more.
Hey Metal Monkeys: I believe he said the steel on the rails is 'seventeen seven' was that short for 1707? Greek to me.

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
17-7, 17-4, 15-5. 13-8 are all heat treatable stainless steels, that aren't really that exotic compared to some of the wild materials out there. As an aerospace machinist, these steels are very common to me. They're relatively easy to machine given the proper tooling, and can take some abuse

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Renegade said:
17-7, 17-4, 15-5. 13-8 are all heat treatable stainless steels, that aren't really that exotic compared to some of the wild materials out there. As an aerospace machinist, these steels are very common to me. They're relatively easy to machine given the proper tooling, and can take some abuse
They are common in aerospace, but so is 6/4 Ti and Inconel. Try finding those at your common metal supplier. They are easy enough to get ahold of in the NW with Boeing and all but they are still pricey.

Fun to work with though. We used to make road bike dropouts out of 1/8" 17-4PH. Never had any problems.

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
buildyourown said:
They are common in aerospace, but so is 6/4 Ti and Inconel. Try finding those at your common metal supplier. They are easy enough to get ahold of in the NW with Boeing and all but they are still pricey.

Fun to work with though. We used to make road bike dropouts out of 1/8" 17-4PH. Never had any problems.
Yea, I kind of lose perspective in regards to what's considered exotic. I machine 6AL4V titanium as much as I do aluminum, so my idea of exotic is MP35N, etc. :)

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
leprechaun said:
I believe he said the steel on the rails is 'seventeen seven' was that short for 1707? Greek to me.
Doesnt sound too Greek to me :D:D:D.

Well it should be good or at least this is soon to be discovered.

Now how come no-one has made a bike with this funky steel and ti stuff?

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
We use 17-4 for just about everything here. I really like the orangish brown color it turns after heat treating. I'd compare it to purple anno of the 80's or gold anno of 2002 as far as pimpness goes.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
math2014 said:

17-4 is really a material you'd use because of it's hardness, most cycling applications don't need hard materials, except for bearings. For all I know the bearing races in CK headsets may be 17-4, I am thinking for some reason that there are a few steel alloys that were developed specifically to be used as bearing races and would be better than 17-4 for things like headsets and such. As the rails on the 303 are exposed it makes sense to use a stainless steel though.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Kornphlake said:
We use 17-4 for just about everything here. I really like the orangish brown color it turns after heat treating. I'd compare it to purple anno of the 80's or gold anno of 2002 as far as pimpness goes.
Have you ever tryed putting some oil on it before you put it in the oven?
The less clean it is, the more colors you get.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
math2014 said:

You can't draw any of these steels into a true seamless tube, so it's kind of hard to use for frames. I have used it on my own bikes, but only because I have a lot of scrap pieces left over from being a toolmaker. It is fun to work with.