Quantcast

Yeti 303 R

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
It's available for 09 (2weeks on jenson and I think it shouldn't be longer on european sites). Anyone had any contact with the frame? Or at least any info?
It's supposedly much more flickable than the regular 303 which kinda suits my needs. Also the lower price tag seems tempting ;)

skiforfree33

Monkey
Mar 15, 2007
colorado
Yeah i am looking in to this bike to. the spec list is not so bad either!

Fox 40 RC2 dual crown fork
Cane Creek S3 headset
Truvativ Hussefelt 38T single ring crank with e.13 SRS Chainguide
SRAM X.9 mid-cage rear derailleur
SRAM X.7 Trigger shifters
SRAM PG-970 11-26T cassette
Mavic Deetrax wheelset
Maxxis Minion 2.5 tires
Avid Elixir hydraulic disc brakes, 203mm rotors
Truvativ Hussefelt 31.8mm bar and stem
ODI Hardcore grips
Yeti / SDG Saddle
Truvativ XR Doubleclamp seatpost

Does anyone know where you can find a picture of the bike with the spec build?

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
It's available for 09 (2weeks on jenson and I think it shouldn't be longer on european sites). Anyone had any contact with the frame? Or at least any info?
It's supposedly much more flickable than the regular 303 which kinda suits my needs. Also the lower price tag seems tempting ;)
The frame is not available until march. The frame is absolutely sick looking in person. I got to do the ol' parking lot ride at Mont Sainte Anne and it was incredibly comfortable. I will be riding yeti this year and this will be my DH rig for the year.

The pics and specs will be up on the Yeti website this week. Pics were being taken last week for the website.

It will be at least a pound lighter and $1000 less than the 303.

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
It is quite nice, I still don't see the need for the rail though, although it does allow for a low TT I spose.
Quite a bit lighter than the 303, But as for more flicable?? How? the rear swingarm would weigh the same. Maybe slightly shorter I spose.. I reckoned they could have slackened out the Geo a bit hey. Not sure on production versions, but I heard they were steeper than proto which was steep / high enough really

Last edited:

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
It is quite nice, I still don't see the need for the rail though, although it does allow for a low TT I spose.
Quite a bit lighter than the 303, But as for more flicable?? How? the rear swingarm would weigh the same. Maybe slightly shorter I spose..
I guess that we will all just have to wait and see.
I will be racing it at Sea Otter so I will be doing a review after that.
Unfortunately the Yeti guys won't say to much still, it's weird.
I myself can't wait.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I think this is a picture of the bike with the stock build. could be wrong

it was on yetifan.com
You are correct. You can also get that color or the team color. Both look sick.
There are a few decent parts on there but I think that I am going to stick to all Sram.
2010 boxxer
vivid
09 deetrax or hopes laced to 721's.
elixir w/ code calipers 203f/185r.
maxxis rubber
Sunline stem and bars
FSA gravity lite crankset
09 e13 chainguide
thomson seatpost
CB mallets

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I rode it around at a demo, it was fun, but didn't blow me away in any way shape or form. It didn't have the traction of canfield, dw, vpp, and it didn't really have the playfullness of a turner.

That said, it was super stiff, had reasonably good "do everything" geo (not DH race imo) and the suspension was a fairly good compromise between traction and poppy. I wouldn't buy one with so many other good DH bikes on the market, and if I wanted something as steep I'd buy a 6-7 inch FR bike like an SX trail or intense SS. That said, I can absolutely see lots and lots of people buying one and having an absolute blast on it.

Cool bike, gonna be stoked to start seeing people start building those up and ripping on them.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I even had some fabric ready for a little 70's style look, oh well.

Any word on what you guys are riding Lee?
still waiting on some details, but it's looking like we'll on Treks. 223, 224, then a sunday, now trek . . . i've never been one to chase trends on purpose but it certainly seems to have worked out that way.

that yeti looks good, definitely an improvement over the Rube Goldberg model.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
64* ht angle with a 13.85" bb sounds plenty slack and low to me.
Donno where you got that information, and the different letter setups have me a little confused, but I rode a bike that looked like that, that I thought WAS that, the guy running the demo told me it was a 67 degree HT angle and thats what it felt like.

That said, :imstupid: so it could have been something else? It was certainly specced the same as that.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
still waiting on some details, but it's looking like we'll on Treks. 223, 224, then a sunday, now trek . . . i've never been one to chase trends on purpose but it certainly seems to have worked out that way.

that yeti looks good, definitely an improvement over the Rube Goldberg model.
Dave was telling me trek but he wasn't sure.
That's cool. Let me know when you get them so I can swing by and take a peek. I'll bring the 303R.Are you heading out end of Feb as well?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Donno where you got that information, and the different letter setups have me a little confused, but I rode a bike that looked like that, that I thought WAS that, the guy running the demo told me it was a 67 degree HT angle and thats what it felt like.

That said, :imstupid: so it could have been something else? It was certainly specced the same as that.
There are 2 R models. R - DH and R - SS. You probably tested the SS slopestyle model with less travel and steeper geo.

The geo is here:
http://www.bromleybike.co.uk/shop/frames/mtb-frames/yeti-framesets/yeti-303-rdh-627996.html

and I think it was also on jensonusa page.

The mspr I that I remember being suggested at interbike was 2699$ but I may be wrong.
I like the idea of compromise of tranction and playfullness and that's why I'm considering it. Good enough to plow and still playfull enough to fool around.
I won't be buying any frame before Feb so if the release date is march which is still before the season starts here it's good. The uk price seems nice as it is still 150 pounds under morewood makulu price and only 100pounds over commencal price (although it has nice extras so it's actualy more). Still wondering what to take. Like the design of commy but the whole quality control thing scares me as some ppl had their share of problems with the company while yeti and morewood seem more reliable. Time will tell what will I try.

Jun 20, 2007
where have you been for the last 6 months when everybody spent all their time wanking to trek photos in many topics about it? ;)
I thought I was being trendy by following the Sam Hill/Specialized threads and the DW Link/Turner threads. I guess I was missing the boat!

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I thought I was being trendy by following the Sam Hill/Specialized threads and the DW Link/Turner threads. I guess I was missing the boat!
You can't get turner or the next big spec bike for now so there has to be the next big bike. Trek apparently fits the niche. Dirt review and tons of promotion in it also helped I gues. The controversy even more probably.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Does any of the forum tech junkies have any idea how the rail in this case influences the suspension over the case where the shock was more "fixed in place" ? What is the advantage in this place?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
So the characteristic/feel would be similar to the one that the 303 has? That sucks a bit as I've counted on something a bit more snappy.

Gues I'm back to the old picks.

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
linear but not necesarily the same as the 303. could still be rising rate as such or falling, but just linear. Hard to say what I mean. Picture a straight line instead of a arc.
FWIW I smell BS though, but I haven't ridden one really to know.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Will wait for the reply from yeti. Asked them about it. The price and geo on the bike is tempting. I just want something for a bit more active riding and not plowing. Getting it 500$ below the morewood(I know there is bos damper but still it's ****loads of money) and with much higher quality control than commencal makes it tempting.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i think the bike looks like a cheap older norco...but i know it wont be a cheap built bike since it is a yeti and im sure itll ride a ton better

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
I thought the rail was supposed to take side loads off the shock and keep the back end stiff. If it is linear I think thats because Yeti chose to make it that way, not because the rail makes it that way. They could use one rail and make it progressive if they wanted.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I thought the rail was supposed to take side loads off the shock and keep the back end stiff. If it is linear I think thats because Yeti chose to make it that way, not because the rail makes it that way. They could use one rail and make it progressive if they wanted.
yup yup

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
though the rail seems a bit more for cool factor / product differentiation than anything else. i'm guessing you could achieve the same function w/ a regular pivot in a package that's both cheaper & lighter.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
I demo'd one a couple months back and posted a short and lame review. Basically, I liked it but really need to spend more time on it before I could give a real review. My initial impression is that it's somewhere in the middle of the plough-flickable scale with some stiffening of the rear under braking. It was fun and I wouldn't be disappointed if I had to ride one. I can't compare it to the vagina frame as I haven't ridden one of those.

I guess the one thing that may have concerned me is that I thought I felt the rear flex a lot during a fast off-camber turn. I didn't get a chance to check it and I'm guessing it was just the tire, but if I get the opportunity to ride one again I'll try to recreate the feeling to see if it was flexing (I doubt it though). I'm 200lbs for reference.

It's still on my list of suspects for 2009.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
though the rail seems a bit more for cool factor / product differentiation than anything else. i'm guessing you could achieve the same function w/ a regular pivot in a package that's both cheaper & lighter.
Foes uses their Swing Link to basically do the same exact thing. does the 303R have 1 rail, or two like the big 303?

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
Starting and ending leverage would be different, but the line between them would be straight. That would be "linear", not curved... that is different than "flat" where the starting and ending leverage are the same.