Quantcast

Yeti 303-RDH and ASR-7 now on yeticycles.com

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
The rail is proven technology and has now won a UCI DH race with many more to come.
Different bike. That bike uses two rails to provide a specific axle path and feel. This rail has no affect on axle path. That will feel the same as any single pivot in a similar location (not that there's anything wrong with single pivots, I own one). The rail on the 303-R only affects leverage ratio which is usually accomplished with a lighter link or simply shock angle. This bike takes the simplicity of a single pivot and adds extra weight and complexity and to what benefit? Well, that waits to be seen. I'm just saying, "Meh there's nothing particularly appealing about it."

greatwhite

Chimp
Jan 23, 2009
Different bike. That bike uses two rails to provide a specific axle path and feel. This rail has no affect on axle path. That will feel the same as any single pivot in a similar location (not that there's anything wrong with single pivots, I own one). The rail on the 303-R only affects leverage ratio which is usually accomplished with a lighter link or simply shock angle. This bike takes the simplicity of a single pivot and adds extra weight and complexity and to what benefit? Well, that waits to be seen. I'm just saying, "Meh there's nothing particularly appealing about it."
The usefulness of the rail comes from being able to adjust the geometry of the bike WITHOUT changing the leverage rate (The new Evil Revolt makes the same promise but with a linkage). At the same time it elimates lateral forces from affecting the shock. Seems like an excellent design in my opinion.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Actualy the rail is to keep the susp linear. That is what yeti speaks about it. If the rail was only to chenge the geo that imho would be plain stupid as more maintanance for the possibility to change geo would be an easy choice for me.

About the whole entry level stuff. I know that bikes get more and more expensive but since when a 2.5 grand frame is entry level? Same for almost 5k bike? I still remember times when high end frames were at that price and I'm not that old.

nemesis gnat

Chimp
Mar 26, 2007
Hella NorCal
ive been able to ride one of the protoype 303Rs a decent amount... its the bees knees, i think its way better than the non-R

the rail does make a difference, and isnt a gimmick... these things shred like its nobodys business

and some of the yeti folks have been rockin them, some will continue to rock them

greatwhite

Chimp
Jan 23, 2009
Actualy the rail is to keep the susp linear. That is what yeti speaks about it. If the rail was only to chenge the geo that imho would be plain stupid as more maintanance for the possibility to change geo would be an easy choice for me.

About the whole entry level stuff. I know that bikes get more and more expensive but since when a 2.5 grand frame is entry level? Same for almost 5k bike? I still remember times when high end frames were at that price and I'm not that old.
The rail doesn't change the geometry, the eccentric shock mount does. The rail allows the suspension leverage rate to stay linear regardless of geometry changes. Meaning once your shock is setup you won't need to fuss about shock settings every time you want to change the geometry for different coursesetc.

EDIT* One has to wonder why they wouldn't have just used an adjustable heatube. Similar results and a hell of a lot more simple.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
The rail doesn't change the geometry, the eccentric shock mount does. The rail allows the suspension leverage rate to stay linear regardless of geometry changes. Meaning once your shock is setup you won't need to fuss about shock settings every time you want to change the geometry for different coursesetc.

EDIT* One has to wonder why they wouldn't have just used an adjustable heatube. Similar results and a hell of a lot more simple.
And if the rail isn't super light than probably lighter as adjustable geo sleave supposedly weights only 150g extra over regular frame.