Quantcast

Yeti 303.............

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
^^
Odd, I've never detected any brake jack or the rear sus locking up on my V-10...Then again, I rarely noticed it while riding my old Bullit...

But back on topic, I applaud Yeti for taking a new approach to the whole affair...I hope it works out for them...

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
i think this idea is sick but i doubt it will go too far, i would rather have a gearbox on a single piv, than that load of train tracks on my bike, even if the suspension is mega smooth and works great.

an another note its mega pricy compared to most other race frames and weighs at least 2.5# more.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
julian_dh said:
i think this idea is sick but i doubt it will go too far, i would rather have a gearbox on a single piv, than that load of train tracks on my bike, even if the suspension is mega smooth and works great.

an another note its mega pricy compared to most other race frames and weighs at least 2.5# more.
Heavy doesn't mean slow. If you can muscle the bike around then it ain't gonna matter if you are on a 39 pound bike or a 45 pound bike. Heck half the pro bikes out there are at LEAST 40 pounds. If the suspension works well enough then I don't see the need to make it stupidly light. Making frames really light is usually to compensate for something the suspension can't do (or the design is very simple and can be made light weight, AKA orange 224). I have had 2 DH bikes so far. One was 38 pounds. My current bike is 42 or so pounds and it is much more manuverable and rides far better than the lighter bike. I think that everyone on this board who rides DH can say that they would most definitely like to test ride a 303.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
people would spend more on a brooklyn because they come with more parts, more expensive shocks (avalanche), and are super boutique. Not sure of the actual figures, but it's gotta be below 50. Not only that, but Brooklyn seems to hook their people up when they need hooking up, not give them the run around.

Also, high pivots work. They've worked since Voillouz back in 98. They worked for minaar, and they worked for bariel. Each is different, but none relied on rails or VPP. Not saying Nico couldn't win on any bike (he won on an LTS too) but still...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Sure a lot of speculation on a bike that like 2 people in this thread have seen much less ridden.

Carry on, though.

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
I'd love mine sometime soon, but I pony'd up for a Sunday instead- Yeti should make people aware about a "real" availability date rather than something thats misleading (there are a few guys here who sold their previous DH bikes when they were told that their 303 would be here on friday... 4 months later they're still waiting). The 303 felt great in a parking lot test (but then so do most bikes), and i've been happy with the performance of my other yetis (dh9 and 4x) but i'm not sure about the durability of the 303, especially seeing all the places where the tightening of bolts are going to crack the clearcoat.

Pricewise it's still stupid, but not that much more than the top DH frames in Aus ($1k more than V10 and M3, same price as the 2:1, way lessd than a Nicolai, and only $300 more than the outgoing DH9), but i guess it's different in the US.

/Sunday riding, short TLD sleeve wearing flat pedal rider out.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
v10"o-PlEaSuRe said:
I call BS...the only 3 dh 9 frames ever damaged due were underneath rennie...he twisted 2 in corners...
I call BS. I know someone who also broke one in 3 places and his name doesn't end with Rennie.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
integrusllc said:
not to interupt, but harpers is recieving one this week to build for a local.
and when it passes me on "southernrocks" i'll be impressed.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
now if that bug had a dh9 layin on top of him, that would be funny.

b.t.w. do you remember who the last person down that trail was on that run ?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Dogboy said:
No way. It's been a couple of years since I had a Demo 9, but I recall it being real close to 15lbs for the frame.
Nope, you're wrong. A guy here weighed one, and there was a pic of it on the digital scale. 2004 Demo9, Manitou Swinger 6-way, Steel spring. 13.25lbs.

Most race frames are WAY under that weight, for example the PDC 825 is 10.74lbs with 6-way/steel. 12.75 for the yeti with DHX is too much for a current gen race frame, at least in my books. I like my money to go towards performance/durability to weight ratios - maybe i'm the only one.

v10"o-PlEaSuRe said:
I call BS...the only 3 dh 9 frames ever damaged due were underneath rennie...he twisted 2 in corners...
Eat me.

Attachments

Murphy's Law

Monkey
Apr 29, 2006
Raleighwood NC
There has been some quality debating about the 303 here. but i'm not going to say a word until i've had a couple of days with dirt under mine. I've been waiting since early november, and i couldn't be more excited.

Murphy's Law

Monkey
Apr 29, 2006
Raleighwood NC
Heard from Yeti today, said the entire first batch of 100 frames should all be shipped by june...... think they will let me run down the US Open and Sugar, NC National courses with all my 303 parts in a box? :wonky2:

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
good write up...the build on that bike is pure Yeti quality: beautiful. To give my 2c, I think its a sweet bike: innovative, well engineered, and built VERY well, but in 5 years or so we will all look back and be like 'uh, why did they use rails'?
Either that, or rotational bearings are a thing of the past.

There, I think I just ended the discussion. You can all go home now.

May 13, 2004
england
Mani_UT said:
Shoudn;t you be riding it instead of cruising the web?

(ok it's my jealousy talking ;))
well i,ve got in from giving it a good trashing,and i,m well impressed with it,its worth the wait,its does everything that they say it does.

jase.