Quantcast

Yeti 4X, fragile?

kOlsen

Monkey
Dec 23, 2007
Norway, Scandinavia
What's the words on these bad boys? I am in the market for a FS 4X / play bike, and I really like the look of the Yeti.

Can they take a little beating, or are they race only? I'm not gonna use it for trail riding, just 4X and some shredding.

Thanks

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
What's the words on these bad boys? I am in the market for a FS 4X / play bike, and I really like the look of the Yeti.

Can they take a little beating, or are they race only? I'm not gonna use it for trail riding, just 4X and some shredding.

Thanks
I beat the crap out of an '06 for a whole year and it took everything. I loved it so much I bought an '08 but unfortunately looking to sell.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
The 4X an amazing f/s slalom bike. I haven't had a single problem with mine at all. Everything is as close to perfect as it gets on the frame

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Sounds very good guys. Thanks for posting!

Does it require any special kind of maintenance?
None that I am aware of. I always tore down and rebuilt, kept it clean, all the usual post ride things that I do to my bikes.
You will love the 4X

PM SENT

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Did anyone use a 5" travel fork in it? Pike, Minute etc.? How does the bike take this? Geo still good or too slack for DS/DJ/ Sea Otter style DH?

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Did anyone use a 5" travel fork in it? Pike, Minute etc.? How does the bike take this? Geo still good or too slack for DS/DJ/ Sea Otter style DH?
I ran a 5" pike on my 06 and I planned for the 08. The geo would be prety decent in my opinion. Maybe a little on the slack side but I bought the U-turn for that reason.

SPAM: My 08 now in the classifieds.

Last edited:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
This is half spam but...

The Turner Rail is a pretty awesome short travel play bike that is heavy enough to be beat on. Their only drawback is the inability to raise the seatpost to trail riding heights.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Never broke mine, and I can break anything. (see point-shoot rider)

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
i ran mine as a 4x/mini dh bike/ fs dj'r/ and even some park riding here and there the first year they came out and it begged for more. i ran it with a minute 3 up front 100/130 (i think) and when in the longer travel it loved to bomb trails. i really really miss that bike

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
This is half spam but...

The Turner Rail is a pretty awesome short travel play bike that is heavy enough to be beat on. Their only drawback is the inability to raise the seatpost to trail riding heights.
Considering the title of the thread and the original post I'd go for full spam on this one.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
YOu should definitely take a look at the new RS Revelation for that bike, especially if you are thinking of buying a Pike.They are pretty much the same, quite a bit lighter making it perfect for 4x I think.

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
This is half spam but...

I always wanted the Yeti but got a Rail and I love my Rail i. I use it very just about everything. It feels like it had so much travel yet handles better than any bike I have used before. Only down side is its not the lightest frame in the world and there is no way to get a front mech on. I have a small ring on and just swap in over by hand to get it up to my local jump spot. May get a hammer thingy for it.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Would the Revelation survive some beating? Are they any weaker than Pikes?
The new revelation with the Maxle light is basically the same thing as the previous Pike air forks. The only difference in weight is from the Maxle which is only like .1 of a pound. I have owned both a Pike air and the now the new Revelation with the Maxle and they ride the exact same, and their strength should be the same as well.
That said, I now want a Pike coil to match the rear shock on my bike, but both of those air forks feel and ride well. So if anyone needs a 09 20mm Revelation dual air, hit a brother up.:spam::busted:

kOlsen

Monkey
Dec 23, 2007
Norway, Scandinavia
The new revelation with the Maxle light is basically the same thing as the previous Pike air forks. The only difference in weight is from the Maxle which is only like .1 of a pound. I have owned both a Pike air and the now the new Revelation with the Maxle and they ride the exact same, and their strength should be the same as well.
That said, I now want a Pike coil to match the rear shock on my bike, but both of those air forks feel and ride well. So if anyone needs a 09 20mm Revelation dual air, hit a brother up.:spam::busted:
Thanks for the info!

Cheers

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Would the Revelation survive some beating? Are they any weaker than Pikes?
Since both forks are pretty similar and from the same manufacturer, this naturally follows the nature of physics; the lesser the material the weeker the item. But if you're going to use it for 4x they've proven them selves. What is "some beating" to you?

kOlsen

Monkey
Dec 23, 2007
Norway, Scandinavia
Since both forks are pretty similar and from the same manufacturer, this naturally follows the nature of physics; the lesser the material the weeker the item. But if you're going to use it for 4x they've proven them selves. What is "some beating" to you?
Jumping, berm shredding etc. I don't want a fork that is just for racing.