Quantcast

yeti 4x??

bigbodystyle

Chimp
Dec 27, 2005
louisville, kentucky
so im thinking about at getting a yeti 4x frame and am looking for some imput from people who own one or have ridin one before. any insight or apinion would be great, what it rode like how well it jumps and so on.
thanks,
Gray

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
BCD owns one. It's powdercoated red, but it is one. He really likes it. He doesn't race on it, just street rides and dirtjumps.

PM him and I'm sure he will be more than willing to give you a summary.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i actually demoed one at a demo they had out here a few months back, and it was amazing. i was actually looking to demo the DJ, but while i was waiting for the guy that had it to get back, i tried the 4X just for kicks. it was so cool, if only it was cheaper i would own one. i have always been a fan of the yeti welds, so precise yet so enormous and strong, particularly the ones that they do in their colorado shop, which will be present on the 4X. i'm currently waiting on my DJ, which has similar geometry to the 4X. if i can sum up the DJ in a few words, it would be quick, surefooted and responsive. it's my favorite short travel bike if that says anything to you.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
price he has the dj, not the 4x. not sure what they have changed but i had number 61 i think of the first 100 made in the original batch a few years ago. felt amazing, like a mini bmx bike with suspension. jumped pumped and cornered like a stud. felt really really tiny though (could have been the size but im pretty sure that was not it)

eskimo

Chimp
Sep 27, 2006
I've owned mine for a while now. They're super sweet bikes and worth every dollar you spend for it, but considering there are a lot of cheaper options it was a hard decision to make.

The bike is tight and as said before feels quite small but feels like a hardtail and isn't limited by the fact it's a dualie. So easy to flick out and so fast out of the gate. Nothing but good.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
best bike I have ever ridden. hands down. on the slalom course it just wants to go faster. It's stiff as hell, low to the ground and pedals like a hard tail. I have it built up for a 200+ pound rider, and it's just 28# with steel beaded tires. I also have the dj, which is the best ht I have ever ridden. Both bikes made me faster (ie more confident) by just getting on them. I do suggest running a bolt on rear wheel, because it makes it that much stiffer, but I'm 200+, so I notice/induce more flex.

Note: I rode a tazer with propedal before, a cove stiffee, and and Evil Imperial. So I have a full spectrum of bikes to compare to.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
price he has the dj, not the 4x. not sure what they have changed but i had number 61 i think of the first 100 made in the original batch a few years ago. felt amazing, like a mini bmx bike with suspension. jumped pumped and cornered like a stud. felt really really tiny though (could have been the size but im pretty sure that was not it)

Yeah I just relized that. Didn't really think it through to well.

WoodsideBS

Chimp
Dec 17, 2006
I have one of the old ones, one killer bike. and the new production models are nice too, same weight, right around 7lb, with some nice added features, pinch bolts around all the bearings so they can be replaced without a bearing press. One of my favorite 4x so far. they snap out of the gate, manual, corner great, and jump with no surprises.
z

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
best bike I have ever ridden. hands down. on the slalom course it just wants to go faster. It's stiff as hell, low to the ground and pedals like a hard tail. I have it built up for a 200+ pound rider, and it's just 28# with steel beaded tires. I also have the dj, which is the best ht I have ever ridden. Both bikes made me faster (ie more confident) by just getting on them. I do suggest running a bolt on rear wheel, because it makes it that much stiffer, but I'm 200+, so I notice/induce more flex.

Note: I rode a tazer with propedal before, a cove stiffee, and and Evil Imperial. So I have a full spectrum of bikes to compare to.
I'm building up a Yeti DJ for 4x racing and some DJ action next summer; what fork would you recommend ?

Feb 10, 2003
A, A
I have one of the old ones, one killer bike. and the new production models are nice too, same weight, right around 7lb, with some nice added features, pinch bolts around all the bearings so they can be replaced without a bearing press. One of my favorite 4x so far. they snap out of the gate, manual, corner great, and jump with no surprises.
z
new production ones are actually a pound and a half lighter and a whole lot cheaper than the older team editions...

that being said i have a team edition size short that i am getting rid of for a good price if anyone is interested. :spam:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I'm building up a Yeti DJ for 4x racing and some DJ action next summer; what fork would you recommend ?
I've had it set up with a Fox 36 (4" setting), Talas (3-5"), and a Vanilla (4"). My prefered setup for racing was the Talas at 4" for weight and angles. The 36 is just too tall.

WoodsideBS

Chimp
Dec 17, 2006
the new production frame is the same weight as the special projects version, right around 7lbs. with the rp23 shock. It was going to be lighter, but not on my scale... 7lbs for the short frame.
z